Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice Im 21 Yrs Old And Im 3 Weeks Post-Op And Im Getting Tired That I Can't Have At Least One Bite Of Foods I Love.

I had my sons second birthday party on the 7th and I was only three weeks out from surgery, i LOVE grilled hot dogs cooked to a charred black and I so wanted one , I knew I couldn't have a whole one so I took a small bite chewed it for a while then spit it out, gross I know , but it helped that head hunger thinking I had to have one . Then I drank some Water while everyone ate and relished that little taste ..

@paulsgirl, I'm sure that helped you get through that day. Just make sure you don't start doing that on a regular basis. I read somewhere here on the boards that it can actually become an eating disorder. Plus it triggers your stomach to start producing acid to digest the food it thinks it's about to get.

Just throwing it out there.

I think benj gave you some very great feedback that you obviously don't want to hear. At your age, with your mindset you could end up being one of the few for which this surgery fails if you can't get a hold of your issues. My doc wouldn't have approved you for surgery if he read "I'm addicted to food and just want to eat less" because he would know that failure is a high possability. No one wants to see that Hun, that you post here a year out with no significant changes because it wasn't the effortless program you had hoped for. Really, we don't, which is why benj shared his thoughts as he did.

3 weeks after my surgery was Thanksgiving. Imagine my horror!! Lol...but it gets better. You can definitely eat the refried Beans, they are a source of Protein. Add the guac & sour cream for a little flavor.

Don't be discouraged. Everyday and every family function will be a struggle, but you just have to be strong mentally. You can do it!!

I think benj gave you some very great feedback that you obviously don't want to hear. At your age, with your mindset you could end up being one of the few for which this surgery fails if you can't get a hold of your issues. My doc wouldn't have approved you for surgery if he read "I'm addicted to food and just want to eat less" because he would know that failure is a high possability. No one wants to see that Hun, that you post here a year out with no significant changes because it wasn't the effortless program you had hoped for. Really, we don't, which is why benj shared his thoughts as he did.

Obviously its NOT failing I've lost 31 pounds in 3 weeks. So don't come on here and judge me OKAY. lol ;) I love to hear people different people's opinions but I don't like to feel attack. and its the same thing as an alcoholic they know its bad for them to drink and they try NOT too but they see everyone else drinking obviously they are gonna want some too. They are different addictions and mine is being addicted to food that is why I had this surgery, because every other "DIET" out there failed. Im guessing that is why you had surgery too.

3 weeks after my surgery was Thanksgiving. Imagine my horror!! Lol...but it gets better. You can definitely eat the refried Beans, they are a source of Protein. Add the guac & sour cream for a little flavor.

Don't be discouraged. Everyday and every family function will be a struggle, but you just have to be strong mentally. You can do it!!

Thanks <3 I know its really hard I had surgery on 6/26/12 and OMG on July 4th I saw everyone having a good time and enjoying their foods, and I was recovering and drinking my Isopure lol

Aww hun, there's no need to be so defensive. I don't think anyone is trying to judge you, and no one on here as any right to. We all have struggles, and I'm 20 and definitely have a food addiction. It has been hard, but obviously so worth it. I mean we are losing this weight, and it's gonna be hard. We've got this though, we have more control over it than you would even imagine :)

Aww hun, there's no need to be so defensive. I don't think anyone is trying to judge you, and no one on here as any right to. We all have struggles, and I'm 20 and definitely have a food addiction. It has been hard, but obviously so worth it. I mean we are losing this weight, and it's gonna be hard. We've got this though, we have more control over it than you would even imagine :)

Exactly you admitted that you have a food addiction and its hard, same with me that's all I said but the other person said I was going to be one of those that fail the surgery. So that gets me mad, who is she to judge me or know the future????

Also my question was "Does anyone else miss their foods" ?? I didn't say hey ya'll come here and judge me and tell me Im gonna be a failure what kind of support group or chat is this then?

I'll be the first person to admit I have a food addiction, but that doesn't mean you will fail! It just means we have to work reallyyy hard! I miss those foods so badly, I had a nervouse break down like a week ago because of it. As each day goes on though I feel better and better. We just have to tell ourselves that we literally have to stick to the diet, and yeah that is gonna be harder for us than some people. I just don't think they are coming from a place of judgement, just worried that if people stick to their old diet it won't work. Which is ultimately true, but we can do it! That's the thing, we just have to be strong :)

I'll be the first person to admit I have a food addiction, but that doesn't mean you will fail! It just means we have to work reallyyy hard! I miss those foods so badly, I had a nervouse break down like a week ago because of it. As each day goes on though I feel better and better. We just have to tell ourselves that we literally have to stick to the diet, and yeah that is gonna be harder for us than some people. I just don't think they are coming from a place of judgement, just worried that if people stick to their old diet it won't work. Which is ultimately true, but we can do it! That's the thing, we just have to be strong :)

I agree with you ;) but you say it in a MUCH nicer way then others.

I dont feel that anyone was "attacking" you, when I was newly sleeved I wanted to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly. Now if you posted this on OH, yes you might have gotten some replies that seemed like "attacks"

Yes you have done a awesome job losing weight but you know what, in the first few months and will lose weight effortlessly.

What is going to happen when you are further out and your restriction is less and you can handle any food? I think thats what people are trying to get across to you. I am 8 months out and no food upsets me at all, I can eat more then I could months ago, and even though I dont have actual "hunger" it still is very hard for me. No I am not perfect with what food choices I make, but I try my best to stay away from them, because they just make me crave bad foods. I got this surgery to be healthy overall, not just eat smaller junk food choices. If you go on the various WLS you will see TONS of people coming back asking for help because they didnt change their eating habits. Im not saying you can never have a piece of cake, or ice cream etc.. But I would limit it very much.

I am not trying attack you in ANY way, but I am just trying to be real and honest.

Actually you asked for advice and got it. As advice often goes, you may not like all of the advice you get, and if that is an issue for you, you should temper your request so that all of the advice is what you want to hear verses differing opinions.

I don't see in my advice that I said you were failing. I said that you may be demonstrating behaviors of someone with a high chance of failure if those behaviors are not addressed. Much as benj did, but that isn't what you want to hear I can tell. My advice to you is to get some counseling so (as I stressed before) you aren't one of the few people who, a year or two out, fails to maintain a healthy lifestyle. But that will only help if you accept in life that sometimes the honest answer isn't the easy one. This program is a magic bullet for most, but only if they aim their weapon correctly. I'm concerned about the direction you are pointing yours :(.

Hey Karen,

I am ultra sensitive and I think a few of the things that have been posted were not as kind as they could have been. Everyone has those moments like "Ahhh! What have I done?!" But you'll get past it. I have had a lap-band for two years. I have hated every bit of it, but you know what's funny? We all kind of learn to adapt to whatever is thrown our way. It is only human. My "normal" became making sure I had empty cups with kids with me at all times in case I slimed!

I am with you on being a big eater!! I love my huge portions and for me, food is a huge part of my comfort. I have been to counseling, which I'd recommend-find someone who specializes in weight loss surgery patients! I am getting this surgery and I don't think all my issues are resolved yet. I am working, one day at a time. Just remember that soon enough, this will be your new normal, and you'll be happy with how your body is looking and feeling!!

Best of luck to you, and HUGS!!!

????????????