Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have read that people that have had a bypass need a medical alert bracelets. I have never been told anything about needing one after a sleeve, anyone else know anything. On Eggface's Blog, she says they usually have the following:

Gastric Bypass

No Blind NG Tubes

No NSAIDS

Contact Phone #'s

Which I don't even know what it all means. I know that a bypass has had a lot more changes done to their insides than a sleeve, but I was just wondering if this is something I should be thinking about.

I don't have one. My surgeon said it's an unnecessary expense, so I skipped it. I do, however, have my card saying that I am sleeved directly behind my driver's license in my purse and my cell phone has a note under ICE (In Case of Emergency) that says "See Notes". My Notes section (iPhone) has a section labeled Medical with details about what I take, no blind tubes, no nsaids, and my surgeons name/phone number. Hopefully that's enough information for a medical responder.

My son, who is a type 1 diabetic, has a tattoo on the inside of his wrist with the AMA symbol and IDD underneath it so that emergency responders always know that his is an Insulin Dependent Diabetic. He and his dad have matching tats and his dad's actually came in handy while he was working out of town.

I think a card is all you need. Medical ID bracelets are really important for those that have a condition that requires a medic to know immediately - i.e. diabetes, siezures, MS - all of which could be the reason why you are unresponsive. In our case, well frankly while my surgeon does not want NSAIDS (alieve, naproxen, etc) it wouldn't kill you if you had them. And, it would be highly unlikely that a medic would be inserting a NG tube into you before you even got to the hospital. That being said, its probably a good idea to keep a card in your wallet with all you emergency contact information along with health information. At least that's my take on it all.

I'm a big advocate for medic alert bracelets. I ordered one that had "Gastric Sleeve VSG, No Blind NG Tubes, No NSAIDs" on it, but then I had a friend tell me about how they witnessed an accident where the lady's purse was thrown away from her & they couldn't find contact info, so then I bought another one that had contact info on it.

I wrote about it on my blog, which also notes some other good articles about it that explains what the things mean too - http://mygastricsleevelife.blogspot.com/2012/06/importance-of-medical-alert-id-bracelet.html - I love my new Road ID one & wear it all the time! Even if the emergency response people wouldn't insert an NG tube, an ID Bracelet helps in the hospital too. I pray I will never have to really need it, but I love the peace of mind I have wearing it just in case it is ever needed.

Excuse Me .. Can anyone tell me why we should not have NG tube insertion?? and I am using NSAIDS all the time as pain killers is that bad??

Excuse Me .. Can anyone tell me why we should not have NG tube insertion?? and I am using NSAIDS all the time as pain killers is that bad??

I'm not under any restriction, either, in regards to taking NSAIDS.

The "no blind NG insertion" rule is because there is so little stomach that it can be punctured if an NG tube is inserted incorrectly. I also have no medicine restrictions.

NSAIDs, especially ibuprofen, can cause bleeding issues & stomach ulcers if used on a regular basis for an extended period of time. Some surgeons do not have a rule against them, but mine does so I have it on my Bracelet. I specifically asked my surgeon about it & he said there are some that aren't as harsh as ibuprofen that could be prescribed if needed, but he still suggested not using any NSAIDs if they could be avoided.

If you click the link I posted above on my other post that is from my blog, I have some good articles I shared in that post that explain the reasoning behind some of the guidelines. Again, every doctor is different & some see no need for a bracelet, but it gives me peace of mind to wear it!

I have one. A fellow sleever that I am friends with on FB got one and it seemed like a good idea. Esp for me because I am going to vegas on vaca in a week, I also go to concerts and things like that where I don't have my purse or card. I only where it when I am out doing something that if something happened I would be safe. Also only a few of my friends know about this, So if I'm out with people who don't know then I wear it. But if I'm at work, with my family, or with my couple of friends that know and something were to happen, I know that they will know what to say or to at least (because I told them) to look in my wallet.

I did get mine from a company called Laurens Hope. Super cute! Also mine says: My name

Gastric Sleeve 5/12

No Blind NG/OG tube

PCN/Sulfa Allergies

Dr. xxx-xxx-xxxx

It's not the worst thing in the world to own.