Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Soon After Surgery Can You Fly In A Plane?

My surgeon advised me that I should not fly for approximately 6 weeks after surgery. Are you receiving similar advice? The reason for not flying is to reduce the risk of blood clots.

For a lot of people going to Mexico for surger they fly a few days after. I'll be flying four days after my surgery. Did he give a reason?

My surgeon stated that it was to reduce the risk of blood clots. I fly a lot for my work - at least 4-5 times per months - in long flights of 8-10 hours. It is always good practice in a flight to drink a lot of Water as well as to walk up and down the aisles.

My grandmother died 5 days after my surgery. It was a 16 hour drive to get there or a 2 hour flight. My surgeon approved for me to fly but not drive. He insisted that I get up and walk the aisles at least once an hour and I had to buy/wear compression knee high socks. I didn't have any issues. I checked in with them once when I got there and later on in the week. I stayed a total of two weeks so I will see him in a few days for my first follow up.

I just had my surgery this week.

In 5 weeks I get on the longest non-stop flight in commercial aviation, 18 hours and 45 minutes gate to gate. It is an all business class flight with lay-down beds, but I have to take it seriously. I am going to talk to my Doc about getting a couple Lovenox self-injecting syringes. I am using them post-op. My daughter is an RN at a trauma center. Says these things are all the rage for the prevention of deep vein thrombosis

Normally an aspirin helps, but that is a bad idea for sleeves. Hydration, support hose, and movement all improve the odds.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Wow biz traveler where are u going? Sounds like fun. DFW to Paris is 9 hrs+ and that's about all I want.

Newark non-stop to Singapore. It is the longest non-stop in history. It is only fun when you do it all the time.

I am scheduled for 94,000 miles in the next 3 months.

Do u need an assistant, I'm a good traveller. Just think of the miles you r racking up.

My grandmother died 5 days after my surgery. It was a 16 hour drive to get there or a 2 hour flight. My surgeon approved for me to fly but not drive. He insisted that I get up and walk the aisles at least once an hour and I had to buy/wear compression knee high socks. I didn't have any issues. I checked in with them once when I got there and later on in the week. I stayed a total of two weeks so I will see him in a few days for my first follow up.

I am sorry about your grandmother. Thank you for sharing your experience with flying.

I just had my surgery this week.

In 5 weeks I get on the longest non-stop flight in commercial aviation, 18 hours and 45 minutes gate to gate. It is an all business class flight with lay-down beds, but I have to take it seriously. I am going to talk to my Doc about getting a couple Lovenox self-injecting syringes. I am using them post-op. My daughter is an RN at a trauma center. Says these things are all the rage for the prevention of deep vein thrombosis

Normally an aspirin helps, but that is a bad idea for sleeves. Hydration, support hose, and movement all improve the odds.

I will also be self-injecting with Lovenox. Did you experience a lot of pain after your surgery? Did you find the self-injections easy? Is there any issues of bringing the syringes through security?

I have not had any pain since day 2 and that was really minor. I have one of those new "pain ball pumps" filled with local pain killers so that may explain some of that. But many people experience very little pain.

The Lovenox injections are very easy. The needle is so tiny you can barely feel anything. It is really state-of-the-art treatment.

TSA will let pretty much any Doctor-precribed treatment as long as you put them out separately in a plastic bag at the inspection station. Have a Doctor's prescription handy as a back-up.

Even better, just check a bag. You are going to do this in flight anyway, and you will need something to hall your shakes.

I checked again with the surgeon. My surgeon will not make exceptions. No flights for a minimum of four weeks and not to leave town for a minimum of four weeks to verify that the stomach is healing well. I wish I could travel but I do appreciate my surgeon's diligence. This means that my surgery will be delayed until the end of the year.

I honestly think that's a bit ridiculous. I flew a few days after surgery from San Diego to Frankfurt, Germany. I did one additional dose of Lovenox and followed the usual advice to move frequently, drink Water, and not cross my legs while flying.

Your surgeon is thinking of liability, not reality.

In any case, I'm sorry to hear about your delayed surgery!

~Cheri