Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Labor Day Weekend

paula

We left Dallas/Ft Worth on Thursday morning and flew into DC, then drove (on Friday) to West Virginia (DH's hometown). Drove back to Washington on Sunday and flew home Monday night. Whew!

Here are some pics from the DC portion of our trip. Changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldiers, myself and Bob in front of the monument to the unknowns, and the gravesite of JFK and Jackie Kennedy, with the eternal flame.post-204668-13813134339004_thumb.gif

post-206647-1381313433915_thumb.jpg

post-206647-13813134340639_thumb.jpg

Their two infant children are also buried here.

post-204296-13813134070985_thumb.jpg

post-204296-13813134072048_thumb.jpg

post-204296-13813134072274_thumb.jpg

Hi Paula! Thanks for the shout out!! I wondered if anyone noticed I was MIA!

Carlene--Those are great photos! I have a link to the Old Guard--that is what they call those guys--it's some numbered battalion but I can't remember what the official name is. My dad (deceased in Dec 1963 and I was born in Jan 1964) was the Captain of those guys--we visited there in the late 80's and they totally gave us VIP treatment--toured the barracks underneath the tomb and there were photos of my dad on the wall (among others, of course, but he has a place of honor!)--it was so neat to see. He was a career officer and my mom said he would probably would have been a General if he had lived. He died of an undiagnosed heart ailment. On a lighter note, my mom married a super guy when I was ten, he adopted me and my older sister and is the only DAD ever in my life.

PS--they give tours of the barracks--all you have to do is ask....:(

Back to your regularly scheduled program.......

My dad was President Kennedy's Honor Guard...which means he was in charge of all the official engagements in Washington......including the funeral--they (family lore, I don't know who "they" are) said that the funeral for JFK might have been a major stress on my Dads heart.......

When I was born, my mom received a cool hand written note from Jacqueline Kennedy on official White House stationary......super cool!

When I was born, my mom received a cool hand written note from Jacqueline Kennedy on official White House stationary......super cool!

That is cool. I hope she kept the note!

Kim,

Thats the neatest thing Ive heard in a long time... a HAND written note from Jaq.???

This line touched my heart...

toured the barracks underneath the tomb and there were photos of my dad on the wall (among others, of course, but he has a place of honor!)--it was so neat to see.

what an honor. Did you KNOW they had photos of him?

wow.

Beautiful story.

Thanks for sharing.

Carlene, THanks for those pics. You are looking awesome!

No, we didn't know about it--so it was a complete surprise. I knew they held him in high regard, because approx 30 years after his death, even the young guards knew exactly who he was when we told them who we were at the door. They were like, "come on in, make yourself at home...".

Nice.

Yes, my mom kept the note--I hope one day it will be mine (should be, since it's about me!).