Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Watchers

Has anyone here done the Weight Watchers program after being sleeved? I don't necessarily want it specifically to loose the weight, as I know the sleeve will help me with that. But I want to learn how to eat differently. I need help changing my eating habits, and I think a long term program like WW would be good to help me figure out what works for my family. My husband wants to loose some weight as well, and would be willing to be in the program with me.

Just wondering if it's "allowed" to join WW after WLS surgery (not that they can stop you, but you know what I mean).

sure, why not. . .I stayed on Adkins and still am a member with Jennie Craig. . I'm out 3 years now. . . whatever helps I say

Whatever helps, but keep in mind that a sleever needs 70-90 grams of Protein and Weight Watchers may not conform to that. A lot of us watch our carbs closely too and vary the amount based on strenuous exercise.

I have been doing very well with the Protein first and then a little healthy carbs on the side (whole grains, vegetables, fruit in moderation).

I don't think you'll be able to eat all your points on WW.

I personally just quit WW. I've been going to my meeting and to the special classes for the WLS. I just feel now that I 'm on my Sleeve eating plan...there isn't that much I can get from the meetings right now. It doesn't mean I won't join maybe later, but for now I have a 65 member support group that I go to for sleevers and gastric bypassers. I do think WW is a great tool for your family...and if you think you would benefit from it...hey! I say go.

I made lifetime on weight watchers in 2003, planning to go back at least for the free monthly weigh in when I get back to lifetime weight (3 more lbs). I agree with what someone above said - you may not be able to ear your points on weight watchers, I am well under what mine would be on the old plan, not sure on points plus. But if you get a good leader you will get lots of great info and ideas, recipes, etc. It's adds some more accountability for you and it will be awesome to go with your husband to support him as well.

I am a lifetime ww member, loosing 160 lbs to get to goal around 2003. Kept it off for about 2-3 years then life happened again and I gained 100 back. I have since lost the same 50 or so lbs or so until i get comfortable and quit loosing and have to start over.

I am not sure how one would compute ww points to a sleeve diet, it may include way too much food and carbs. When I was on their program at 280 lbs I could not get all my points in at times.

The support is great at the meetings, but I may not feel comfortable telling them I did not get back to goal without the ww way. The sleeve is just a different tool for weight management, not sure I would want to be the only one is a audience specific meeting.

The point plus system seems very good. You probably won't eat all your points, but the online system seems a lot like my fitness pal.

The point plus system seems very good. You probably won't eat all your points, but the online system seems a lot like my fitness pal.

I'm on MyFitnessPal, so I may just stick to that.

Weight Watchers is an amazing plan, and I've known several people that have done it after WLS and been quite successful! I've considered going back to it myself after healing. You will probably have to go with the lowest point count available, but eventually should be able to stay close in range, anyway. Depending on the type of leaders in your area, you might benefit from doing it online and weighing in on your doctors scales.< /p>

I have to agree WW is balanced, and excellent for real life and food.< /p>

My finess pal is good and free I'm on there u can be friends my name is tam1965

I think the support you can get could be good. However, as one poster pointed out, you probably won't be able to eat the number of points you'd be given. You can learn a lot about nutrition though. Be careful about telling them you had surgery. I've seen quite a bit of negatives posts about WLS on the WW support boards. I think the presumption is that WLS is the easy way out. To their credit, I used to think surgery was the easy way out too. That is, until I became more educated. Good luck to you.

Has anyone here done the Weight Watchers program after being sleeved? I don't necessarily want it specifically to loose the weight' date=' as I know the sleeve will help me with that. But I want to learn how to eat differently. I need help changing my eating habits, and I think a long term program like WW would be good to help me figure out what works for my family. My husband wants to loose some weight as well, and would be willing to be in the program with me.

Just wondering if it's "allowed" to join WW after WLS surgery (not that they can stop you, but you know what I mean).[/quote']

I personally think WW is good, but I think after WLS, you should go to a NUT that specilizes in bariatric surgery food plans. For nstance n WW you eat breads and stuff that you will not longer be eating after VSG. You need more Protein and you need to eat that first, so you won't necessarily have room for the other stuff for your points. At least if they still do it that way. I was on WW once a long time ago and lost 40 lbs. but gained it all back. I think it woud be more beneficial to see a NUT and get on a maintenance plan. I don't know how far out you are but I am almost to my goal and have an appt. at the end of this month with mine to be puton maintenance. I am over 6 months and there is no way I could eat the amount of food you need to eat on WW.

WW is a great program, it was the most successful weight loss attempt I had. I thought about joining at some point post-op but for now have decided against it. It would definitely be great for accountability while losing, but I think it would be awkward to be losing all of the weight from having the sleeve...you'd either have to tell everyone you had WLS (and have them wondering why in the world you're at WW if you can't really follow the program) or not tell them and risk alienating others in the group that aren't (and can't) lose the weight as quickly. I am not explaining it perfectly, but I just remember my specific group really bonded with each other and our leader, so I would personally feel bad for having an unfair advantage over them. It's human nature to compare, you know?

For those at or near goal, I think it's a great idea! :-) (you wouldn't be losing at the fast pace like when you're a new sleever)