Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've researched WLS surgery and the sleeve (and band and every other form of WLS) for a long time (years). I'm finally ready to get sleeved. I've read through this forum. I know 2 people who have been sleeved (my sister a year ago, and an aquaintance last month).

I have my date for July 30th. My husbad, while supportive, is worried about the permanence of the surgery. So am I - I mean I have my doubts about the whole surgery thing too. I know that's normal to be scared. Just wondering how you move past that? I've tried all the diets, WW several times, etc. I can loose some, but then hit a wall no matter what I do and can't get past it.

I think I want to move forward with the surgery. I have read a whole lot more about this and the results, trials and tribulations people go through afterward than my husband has. He knows it's my body. He's just really worried about it long term. But I am more worried about my health long term.

How do I get past the doubts of surgery? What did you do to not talk yourself out of it? I'm on my last rope here. This is definitely not something I take lightly.

I can relate. My journey has been 15 years and I am finally approved for the sleeve. My surgery date is the 27th so just a few days before yours. When I first opened the approval, I had to read it twice to make sure what it said...and then although somewhat excited...I became very scared. Scared of everything that comes after. My surgeon is wonderful, and he says its normal. There are so many things that I want to do. I want to see my children graduate from college, travel with my husband and see my grandchildren. All these things are possible, but I have to take this step.

Hi

I have also been on a lot of different diets. and when I stuck to the diets they actually worked however whenever I get stressed I eat therefore I gain the weight back. so its not like i have not tried in the past.

I knew several people who had the bypass surgery and i said i would never do it however I am come to the realization that I need help with this diet thing.

I am overweight and depressed therefore I must do something quickly before it gets worse. i never thought i would result into having weight loss surgery but truly i have no choice.

I have a daughter I must raise and i must be alive in order to do so. if i keep eating and dont get any help than i am afraid of what may happen to me.

i am scheduled to have sx on july 12th. I know it is the best thing for me to do. currently i do not have high blood pressure or diabetes however if i dont do something now than i dont know what type of diseases i may get in the future. so i have put aside all worries about having the sx and i think of the positives.

i am excited. i know its not going to be easy but i have to do what is best for me.

hopefully, you can reallly think about whats best for you .

dont listen to folks who are not in your same situation because they dont understand.

good luck to you

also find a surgeon you are comfortable with and that will alleviate some of the worries.

I asked some similar questions and concluded that I have to have something permanent. I have had temporary losses before, and although permanent is scary, it is what I need. I am feeling more anxious the closer I get to my surgery, and I have been told that is normal.

I am in the process of doing my preop testing and I say to myself 'what am I doing -can I really do this?' But I know that if I don't lose a significant amount of weight I will have other permanent problems like diabetes., back problems., cardiovascular disease. And of course lose out on all the things i would be able to do with my family. I want the joy also that comes with feeling healthy. When I think of all this I believe I have to do this. There is too much to lose. Reading this forum is a blessing. People are so kind and generous with their stories.

I too have gone back and forth over the years. This spring, I finally decided it was time and it was the sleeve. I want the permanence of it. I have seen people gain weight back from both bypass and band. I think this is my best chance for success. Hopefully, this fall! When it is time, you will know it.

The permanence of it is actually one of the things that made me choose the sleeve. I came into my process saying I wanted the band. I had convinced myself that all of the problems people were having were just blown out of proportion (rolling my eyes at myself for that one). My nurse in the weight management program gently convinced me to look at the other surgeries. When I said the sleeve scared me because it was permanent, she replied "so, you DON'T want a permanent solution?". Very simple but it really made me think. I can't even imagine there being a time when I'm not so dependant on food, but my goodness am I looking forward to it!

Whoops duplicate post

The permanence is reassuring to me. It comes without the worry of malabsorption, too.

Yes, I worked on a lot of my food issues while losing, but knowing that if I slip up, or fall into a rough patch (and bad habits) I have this tool that never stops working to help me reach goal again is so incredibly reassuring. It also meant while I was slowly losing that I didn't have to stress about not meeting goal before a certain time limit. There is no honeymoon. Simply put - if I pack on twenty pounds over the next three years, my sleeve is STILL there, STILL working and will get me back to goal if I do the right things.

However, with this permanent solution I've chosen, regain is unlikely. I've had a mixture of eating habits in maintenance and unlike someone whose band has been unfilled, my sleeve still controls my portions. When hormones make me want to eat everything including the paint chips off the wall, my sleeve keeps it mostly under control. And if I DO happen to put on two or three pounds? Taking it off again is EASY because that sleeve is still working.

Coming to terms with the surgery is a challenge. I was all for the band until I did enough research to see it wasn't what I wanted for me. I wanted permanent. Now that I'm at goal and trying to get pregnant again I'm incredibly happy with my choice. I know my sleeve will relax enough during pregnancy and nursing so I can get the nutrition I need, but that it will go right back to restricting me when I need that again.

All you can do is talk to him and share your feelings about this. The sleeve is a great surgery for people that need a lifelong tool that doesn't cause nutritional deficiencies or come with the risk of needing multiple surgeries to fix issues with a port or slippage.

Best,

~Cheri

Wouldn't you want something permanent? I mean I sure do. . .I don't want to know that they stick something into me (I'll use the band for example) then suddenly need to have it out and poof I regain my weight and then some. . . oh no, not me. . . yes, it's a pain sometimes, but it does keep you from overeating (which you'll never do again) and it'll keep you from being the unhappy person you were. Permanent? I'll take that anytime over obesity. . . just my view on stuff. . .

Thanks guys! Once again, this board has put smoothed away some fears of mine.

I guess I also feel like a "lightweight" and feel like I should be able to do this on my own. But then I look at what I really need to loose, and it's soooo daunting. I weigh ~255-260lbs and am 5'7" tall. I look heavy, but not overly huge. I want to get down to ~140-145lbs as my goal.

I started having minor heart problems 2 years ago after my second daughter was born. It scares me because my father dropped dead of massive heart attack at 51, and he was tall and thin. I have the high cholesterol and triglycerides, and blood pressure issues. I have 2 little girls to chase after. So I know I need this surgery. I'm just letting the little gremlins of doubt get the better of me.

Thanks for helping me see the light again.

I was treated by a dietician for 2 years prior to choosing the sleeve. She and I had both ruled out band or RNY as options. I never really considered surgery an option. I want to control my future, not a band. I don't want malabsorption issues. I can lose weight with diet and exercise. Every visit with her I would talk about long term and maintenance and such. When she came to me with the sleeve, I was surprised. I did research and found it to be exactly the tool I needed.

Get rid of the craving hormone, reduce the size of the stomach. I control my future. No further issues once recovery is done and dusted.

I was sleeved a month later. I toyed with the What-ifs of cancer and such but decided even with a whole stomach, cancer could require a RNY, so why stop something so good by What if'ing myself to death!

Just a side note, I am 5'2 and goal of 140 (just inside the healthy BMI range)