Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Mo Pre-Op, What Are The Changes I Should Make To Be Better Prepared?

Hi. I've started the 6 mo pre-op appts with my PCP to get ready for surgery. I will admit here that I feel like I've been on a binge every since I made that appt. I know I need to make changes to how I think about food and how I eat to help me be a successful sleever. ANY advice on changes I should be working on now would be greatly appreciated!

I committed to my dr to make the following changes this first month:

1. Give up all sodas (this hasn't been hard at all because I only drank 1-2 a week)

2. Stop drinking Water during meals. THIS HAS BEEN VERY DIFFICULT!

3. Chew my food 20-30 times each bit. THIS HASN'T HAPPENED AT ALL! Hard to chew a lot on a binge!

Has anyone else found themselves on a binge when they first make this decision? I'm scared it means I'm not ready and I'm going to fail. My husband is very supportive of me, but I know he worries that I'm going to go through all of this and either not lose weight or eventually gain it back.

I want to make the right changes and be successful!

Kristal

Hi! In my opinion, binging doesn't mean that you're not ready. I binged quite a few times before surgery, too. But it is important to wean yourself off of the binging behavior as much as you can (I know, it's hard!). One important reason is that you really do need to lose some weight before surgery and exercise to make your surgery recovery easier. Also, most doctors tell you to lose weight before surgery, and I've even heard of surgeries being canceled because of weight gain. One bit of advice I would give is to not try to make all the changes all at once...do one at a time until you're comfortable with the change, then move on to the next. Especially since you have six months to do it in.

This is the absolute best thing I've ever done for myself, and I was a binge eater...it's really a good thing that you have the time to make sure this is the right decision for you. Good luck!!!!

Start charting things on myfitnesspal.com Give yourself a special day a week or every other week.

Not sure what your weight goals are or what your weight is but I was 299 when I started and I went into surgery 7 months later at 229. I did try hard but I had special days. I could barely walk up the stairs when I started, I was really not well at all. I went out to dinner, and overate at Red Lobster but I still ended up losing each month because I allowed myself to have one meal once in a while that was not keeping in line with the diet.

Do your best to get 80 grams of Protein in, do your best to lower your carb intake. I did change the way I cooked for the family. I still ate rice a roni beef flavored once in a while, but I learned to eat my meat first, my vegetables second and I learned I ate less rice because I got stuffed first on the meat.< /p>

I made tortilla Soup with turkey and I still added doritoes to the bowl, but instead of eating 1/2 a bag of doritoes I put a few on top.

I added one Protein a shake a day for Breakfast, ate something small like cottage cheese or yogurt for lunch then I ate a sensible dinner.< /p>

I went out for dinner sometimes and the week before we were going I would make sure I did a good job and that day I would have my Protein Shake and my cottage cheese and then at dinner I ate what I wanted.

The more carbs in the more carbs you will want. Nobody sat and binged on 10 steaks, so the more you lower your carbs, the less carbs you will crave.

Some people are 200-230 - and can't afford to lose 60-70 before surgery because their bmi will drop, I needed to lose it and I'm glad I did.

If you are going to have 85% of your stomach removed, and go through all the hoops you need to jump, do so with commitment. If you mess up, then you do, but at least strive to make an effort to lose 1 pound a month - 2 pounds a month.

I know how you are feeling, but you won't hear from me, hey it's okay to gain weight during the 6 month pre-op.

The sleeve is a tool only, it's still 90% will power and mental and it's up to you, the sleeve is not a stand alone cure.

Good luck to you and if you have questions, don't hesitate to send me a message.

My surgeon said "I operate on your stomach...not your head" You have to fix your relationship with food. If you don't make better choices you will fail!

Find some support somewhere in your life, If you can find someone to help you be accountable at the beginning you will form new habits to stay accountable with or without that person. This means food, exercise and emotional. If you don't have this person I will gladly assist you; PM me.

Start cooking at home. Limit your meals out and under no circumstances do you eat at a place with a drive threw!!!!

Get myfitnesspal for your phone or online. Make a commitment to get 20% more Protein than carbs. This means 80 grams of carbs for every 100 grams of Protein. After surgery you are going to be 40% to 50% less so get a jump start. My ratio for the first 7 months was 75 grams of protein to 30 grams of carbs. Protein first, vegetables second and after 10 bites you will not have room for the carb. Make your carbs good ones; nothing white, nothing fried, and good lord do not beg for mashed potatoes when you get to mushies!!!

Research! Research! Research.... find new foods, visit clean eating magazine and the world according to eggface for recipes and portion sizes and dig into something new!

Can't wait for you to join us on the losers bench!

Thank you all for your replies. These are wonderful suggestions and advice. I just haven't known where to start!

My therapist has been out of town for a couple of months now, and I think that has been a problem for me too. My hubby and I are going to sit down tonight and plan out of meals for the next week and go shopping together this weekend. That should help me out a lot. He is my biggest fan and wants me to be successful.

Thanks again! I look forward to getting to know you all better.

Kristal