Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Ever Enjoy Eating Again?

I still enjoy eating very much. At almost 6 months out, there is nothing I know of that I cannot tolerate.

I remember the first time I got to eat something semi-solid. Those Beans were so good. I actually taste my food now and haven't picked up a salt shaker in 6 months. I don't stuff food that I really don't care for into my face just because it's there. I plan my meals and I think they're pretty healthy and for once I can Portion Control.< /p>

Today is:

Shrimp with avocado in a homemade cocktail sauce made with ketchup, horseradish and Greek yogurt

Cottage cheese with some of the taco filling left over from last night and 9 Trader Joe's lowfat blue corn chips

Strawberries

Roasted pork loin and broccoli for dinner.

I'm just past 2 weeks out and have to say that I still enjoy food. Granted I get full extremely quickly but I am taking smaller bites and I enjoy every bite that I get. food tastes the same to me and everything has agreed with my sleeve. Obviously by the responses to this post everyone does not fare as well' date=' but at 1 week out it's too early to tell that. Just a week a go I was still haveing cramping in my sleeve when I ate and always felt full, in just the few days since I have made dramatic improvements and don't even think about the fact that I had surgery just 2 weeks ago. That is until I start to eat and even then It's just a matter of me getting full quicker... isn't that the point of the surgery ? :)[/quote']

Hi Gene,

I'm curious: you are just over 2 weeks out and you're able to eat food already? I've noticed that most ppl are on 10 days of liquid, then 10 days of pureed. I was in awe that you tolerate food already!

HI Ssilian,

Yes, I have been eating food since day 6. I was supposed to wait until day 7 but I was traveling back to see my Dr on the 7th day so I didn't want to risk getting sick on the road. My Dr has a very agressive ramp up on food which seems to work well. I was on Clear Liquids for 2 days post op, then 4 more days of soft foods like applesauce, yogurt, cottage cheese, thinned oatmeal, etc..., on day 7 post op I could add things like seafood, deli and canned chicken, deli turkey, soft cooked veggies, light or free mayo or Salad Dressing, canned fruits,string or babybel cheese, hot cereals and eggs. At two months I can add everything else like all meats that are lean and tender, raw veggies, raw fruits, potatoes, Pasta or rice, breads, cereals and salads. So far I'm doing fine with everything I eat.

Well, I am pre-surgery, and food enjoyment has controlled my life. I cannot wait to say good bye to enjoyment and hello to a new me. I want to think about other things - instead of WHEN do I GET to eat again and what will I have... to I actually need something. I am tired of this consuming my life, I have more to do than think and crave stupid food. It's like saying good bye to a bad relationship.

It depends on the density of the food. At 6 months I eat to live not live to eat. I know what my tummy likes which is everything in sometimes small amounts and that is how it likes it. If I am too greedy, it will let me know. Good luck to you.

I was the worst food addict and binger before surgery. I'm a lil over 6 months out. No I don't enjoy eating like I used to. But I still eat. I actually don't miss it. I find enjoyment in other things now.

Ok Im not liking these responses. I wish i read this before surgery. Im so bummed about this. Id like to be able to have an appropriate balanced meal and it doesnt look like it will ever happen. Will i ever even be able to have a salad. This is just depressing. I can see why so many wls become alcoholics.

I think when you are obese there is too much emphasis on the pleasure and enjoyment that food brings you. I was the same way. I thought I would be devastated because food was one of the few things that actually brought me joy. But several months after surgery, I just find the enjoyment from food diminished and now find pleasure in doing other things like writing and photography and that sort of thing. BTW I can eat a salad. I just had one last weekend. I do eat balanced meals just smaller. I still go out to eat with my mom on occasion even though I can't eat much.

I'm not enjoying food either at 3 1/2 months out. Whenever I eat anything, no matter what, I get nauseous. I'm on a prescription PPI and anti-nausea medication but neither seem to be working well. It has become very stressful to eat now, wondering if I'm going to throw up or not. Some days I can tolerate a food without nausea, others it will make me violently ill. And I'm doing everything I'm supposed to: Protein first, eat small amounts, chew well, yada, yada, yada.

I don't want to be a killjoy here but I wish I had known that this could've happened before I had surgery because I may not have had it. Food was never a true pleasure for me before the surgery but eating is necessary even in small amounts. I seriously dread anything regarding food right now.

I think because of the topic of this thread that it is bringing a lot of people who are having troubles. I suspect that like with complications (leaks, strictures, etc.), it is less common in the general population. Don't let it scare you.

Sometimes it is frustrating when I'm eating something really good and I have to stop, but the feeling doesn't consume me like food in quantity is a lost friend.

I will always be a foodie. I love to cook and still love to eat. I just eat like a healthy person should now. I don't really wish to go to the other extreme where I don't really care to eat and it's just simply fuel.

I absolutely love eating new foods. You have to get past the idea of eating a lot of food at one time. That's your food addiction talking. I love going out to dinner and love the leftovers. It's all about how you perceive a meal. If your goal is to eat food, no - you won't. But if your goal is to taste wonderful flavored and share time with people while taking in those flavors then yes you will!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Perfectly put. There should be no anxiety about it. Relax. Enjoy! Just eat slowly and learn your full signs. Mine is a sigh and slowing down even more and picking. If I eat slightly too much or too fast then hiccups. Just stop before you get that "I need to barf" feeling. Sorry. It's just a fact of life now. We'll all learn.