Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I Ever Enjoy Eating Again?

I'm 2 months out today and I enjoy food, just in smaller amounts. I have never vomitted yet and have little trouble with anything. We're obviously all very different!

I do enjoy eating at six months out, but I don't eat much. I have a routine for most of the earlier part of the day, which includes Protein supplements and Vitamin management. dinner is usually quite enjoyable although small.

I find that we eat higher quality food now than before.

At one week out, I thought I might never eat again. Hang in there! It should get better, but never like before.

I gotta be honest. I'm almost 3 months out and I get absolutely no enjoyment out of eating. I can only eat a few bites and if I take one too many, it hurts like hell and I feel absolutely miserable. I am enjoying the weight loss though and wouldn't change that for anything. I just dread meal times anymore.

I am now just passed 9 months out and am enjoying eatting again.

I do say that I am enjoyng eatting again, but the type of food I get the most enjoyment out of is very different to what I used to enjoy post op.

I have spent the last 9 months trying to change my habits in addition to my capacity, some days I do better than others. Weirdest thing for me ever is now I get absolutely no enjoyment out of eatting chocolate.. pre-op it was my my go to food.< /p>

I also notice the amount I consume (not just based on capacity) when I am enjoying food has changed. If I have a piece of cake or a cookie, yes I do allow these sometimes, that a few bites (like 2-3 max) and I am done and giving the food away.

Eatting is definitely not like pre-op...I had this surgery to help with no eatting like I did then.

Ok Im not liking these responses. I wish i read this before surgery. Im so bummed about this. Id like to be able to have an appropriate balanced meal and it doesnt look like it will ever happen. Will i ever even be able to have a salad. This is just depressing. I can see why so many wls become alcoholics.

Ok Im not liking these responses. I wish i read this before surgery. Im so bummed about this. Id like to be able to have an appropriate balanced meal and it doesnt look like it will ever happen. Will i ever even be able to have a salad. This is just depressing. I can see why so many wls become alcoholics.

There are thousands of wlp who can enjoy their food and plenty of it. I am one of them, I am almost 4 months out and since about 8 weeks I have been able to eat almost anything with no problem, I enjoy eating out and big family dinners, loving to eat too much is how we got to this point in the first place. If you pace yourself and put only what you can handle on your plate ( like what should be done if you don't have a sleeve) then you will be fine. You will enjoy eating again if you allow yourself. This surgery didn't just restrict your stomach it changes how you see food forever. I know it is hard and everyone has a different journey but please don't think you have made the wrong decision, you will not regret this I promise. good luck and one little trick about salad iceberg lettuce is easier to digest than romaine.

I am also apparently in the minority, but I still enjoy food. I am 3 months out and while I certainly eat less than I used to, my enjoyment level has in no way decreased. It's been a little challenge to see how my tastebuds have changed, but I've pretty much got a handle on that now.

The sheer "pleasure" we all enjoyed prior to surgery is forever gone I think; but then again, isn't that what got us into this mess? lol For me - two years out - food enjoyment is not there. that one good bite and you think boy, this is good, then the next couple are eck!! ha!

I feel 100% normal and I enjoy food everyday!! I feel in control cause I cannot eat big portions-- I do however eat reasonable portions and what ever I want! I can eat a 6in sub from subway with just the bottom bread for example. or 1 small slice of pizza and a buffalo wing. Perfect, no pain, no nausea, no weight gain!

I think most of us go through the stage of "mourning" over food. For some of us it feels as if we have lost our best friend, but this feeling is temporary. We are finding our new rhythms and learning new ways to comfort ourselves without the use of food. I've been very fortunate in my recovery (I'm 3 months out). I have never experienced vomiting, or haven't eaten anything that I haven't been able to tolerate. At about 6 weeks out I was able to eat just about anything, including lettuce. I also think I have a larger sleeve than most because it just seems like I can eat more than a just few bites. The bottom-line for me is I still enjoy food, I still love to cook, and I enjoy eating albeit I am very satisfied with portions that are a fraction of what I used to eat. Now, I am more of a food snob. I crave fresh fruits and veggies and good quality meat and cheeses rather than processed and sugar-laden stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm not without slip-ups. As a matter of fact just last night my fiance and I went out for frozen custard and I got no sugar added vanilla with caramel and brownie bits in it, but I'm a believer that we must not completely deny ourselves because we will have these sleeves the rest of our lives, and we have to live our "normal."

I am just over 4 weeks out and still enjoy my food. I dont see that going away. My sleeve does not give me much trouble. I can eat about 2-3 ounces protien easily and so far I have not had any problems with anything I have tried. I am looking forward to doing some recipes and tweaking them so that they are low fat and low carb but taste good. With the small amount we can eat now I am all about good flavor. Making white chicken chili later mmmm.

I have been so lucky. I feared I would be sick, have an aversion to food tastes and smells, all that. Exactly the opposite happened. I eat smaller portions of course, but more than most sleevers (must have a long sleeve), and only one greasy thing has made me sick.

I am three months out. I don't have to eat slowly, I don't have to take tiny bites, I just don't have any restrictions except volume. food tastes really good to me, but I no longer crave carbs and sugar.

I am just so happy. They tell me at work that I am the Poster Child for my surgeon and this procedure.

I am so sorry for those for whom it did not turn out as well. Maybe in time...

I would say a person's outlook changes over time. In the beginning it can be tough to tolerate certain foods, and being unsure of what to eat, how much we can tolerate becomes a chore at time. Also, when you have issues, such as over eating certain foods, well they tend to become offensive in one's mind.

I am 11 weeks out tomorrow. I have been able to go out to dinner or lunch with a friend and enjoy my meal. Sure I can only eat so much, but I am learning to savor the taste and enjoy the conversation and really taste the food. On the first dinner out I had scallops on the skewer with veggies from Outback. Gosh it tasted so good, just like I remember it, but I didn't wolf it down, I took my sweet time and enjoyed it so much. On my first lunch out this week, I ordered 2 carne asada tacos that came with a side salad, and I declined a side of Beans or rice. I did not eat the tortilla, but savored the beautifully seasoned meat and the pico de gallo and avocado. I took one taco home to eat for dinner and I had about 1/4 of the side salad with a light balsamic (on the side) I did eat all the cherry tomatoes.

I want to enjoy my life and I love cooking and all the events that are surrounded by food...yep I consider myself a foodie. It's just that now, I don't have to eat half a cow to get satisfied, and I am eating so much healthier that I feel great and I do not feel guilty about what I eat anymore because I am making the right choices.

I am finally a happy eater!

I'm just past 2 weeks out and have to say that I still enjoy food. Granted I get full extremely quickly but I am taking smaller bites and I enjoy every bite that I get. Food tastes the same to me and everything has agreed with my sleeve. Obviously by the responses to this post everyone does not fare as well, but at 1 week out it's too early to tell that. Just a week a go I was still haveing cramping in my sleeve when I ate and always felt full, in just the few days since I have made dramatic improvements and don't even think about the fact that I had surgery just 2 weeks ago. That is until I start to eat and even then It's just a matter of me getting full quicker... isn't that the point of the surgery ? :)

Maybe we all place too much emphasis on enjoying what we eat. We should all concentrate on the better things in life, not worrying about our sustenance.

For me part of my weight problems were the fact that all I did was think about the next thing I could put in my mouth, I still have those thoughts, only 3 weeks out, but I can already feel them waning. I still remember how things taste and reflect on those at times of real trouble. I also try to revise the food items so that I can eat them. Deconstruct a Reuben sandwich and you get some lean meat (trim the fat please), cheese, sauerkraut and a little sauce, minus the bread of course but just as satisfying.