Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-Op Care/assistance From Family...

Hi all I have not yet been sleeved but hope to be before the summer is out. I am worried about my family during my initial recovery after surgery. It will be right around the time school begins or shortly after. I don't have relatives in town with me and my husband can't be off. We have four children 3 boys and 1 girl. 10, 8, 6, 3. I wanted to hear from post oppers in similar situations. Were you guys able to be alone shortly or immediately after surgery, were you able to care for your children, drive and take them to school? Please offer some insite.

I stayed in the hospital for 2 days, after that I didnt drive until I was off the pain meds which was in about 4 days. my hubby didnt have to take care of me though....other then drive me places. I was able to take care of everything else. my kids were 8,12, and 16 at the time, so they were a little older then yours. good luck!

I will be watching this thread too. I am going to be sleeved around then end of August and like you have three children 8,6 and 2. My husband will be able to be home to care if the kids. Sorry I am no help to you. Good luck

I felt pretty good and was driving in a few days, but watch out for bumps, that jiggling did not feel good. I took my grandson to school a few times, he is 9 and able to get himself ready.

Your 10 and 8 year olds may have to help with the younger kids. Just take it as easy as you can, and no heavy housework! It will be hard to not pick up your youngest, but you don't want to tear an internal or external stitch. Sit on the sofa and let the younger ones snuggle up to you.

In a few weeks you will feel so much stronger. Take good care of yourself, and if the house gets a little messy, let it be...there will be time to bring it up to speed. The main thing is not to compromise your recovery.

I would suggest doing your best to schedule your surgery towards the end of the week, that way you have a couple extra rest days at home before a new school week. You may not be able to drive for awhile depending on how long you need your pain meds for. You won't be bed ridden, but you won't really be able to do much for the first week or so. I think you'll be okay as long as you speak to your older children ahead of time and ask for their help and understanding.

Good luck!

Perhaps see if your husband can check with his human resources department if he could be on disability to take care of a family member (you) for maybe 2 weeks. My husband was able to take two weeks off when he filed the paperwork. It certainly does help if someone else is home to help, but there were times when I had to do things myself. I just made sure that I took my Lortab (liquid pain medication) every 6 hours so the pain wouldn't be as bad. As far as driving I was given the ok to drive after I had my two weeks post-op appointment. I believe my surgeon mentioned he didn't want me driving while taking the pain medication. Good luck to you and I wish you much success.

I was stuck in the hospital 5 days. I needed help, I couldn't help others. I had a drain for 9 days after surgery and could not drive. I am not allowed to pick up anything heavier than a gallon of milk and needed help getting in and out of bed. I came home Friday late afternoon and my husband was off all week while in the hospital and called off on Monday. My son, who is 22 has been here to help me. My parents stopped by also.

I know others have been able to do a lot more than me, but I wish you the best of luck. It would definitely be helpful if you had help because you cannot know how you are going to react to surgery or how fast you will recuperate. There are people that recuperated a lot faster than me and those that were a lot slower than me.

I'm 18 days out and I still don't think I'm okay to drive. I have not been on any pain medication since the hospital because I'm allergic to everything but Morphine.

Best wishes to you and congrats on your upcoming surgery.

PS. My husband's company gave him 3 PTO days off for my surgery.

I take my own 2 kids and some neighbor kids to school & home. I wasn't supposed to drive as long as I was on the narcotic pain medicine & I know some doctors say to not drive for at least a week after surgery. It just depends on the doctor. I took the pain meds for 2 days after surgery during the day, but then I only did at night. I had surgery on a Monday. My husband worked from home during that week so he could take the kids to and from school, so I didn't do much that week. The Monday after surgery, when my husband went back to work & I did the driving around again was really tiring because of surgery & because I hadn't done it in a week.

I would honestly see if there is any way your husband could get time off or your extended family could help or friends could help out for the first week or two. Everyone's recovery is different, but the first week is definitely the hardest & especially since you have one that isn't in school yet you might need extra help. It would be hard to be with the little one all day by yourself right after surgery!

Thanks so much for you guys input. When I had gallbladder surgery my older two were very helpful keeping the younger two busy. I'm thinking I might have Snacks on hand and things they can make sandwiches with, simple things. As far as cleaning my kids are trained well, they know "momma don't play bout no nasty house" they even know how to do laundry. I was just worried about being completely incoherent and the possibilities of what could happen, kids will be kids. Thanks again guys!