Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anybody Else Craving Meat?

I go on my pureed diet tomorrow, having passed the full liquid phase with an A+! I was just talking with my husband today about how odd it is that I don't crave the things that I thought I'd be craving.

Maybe it's because of the massive amount of Protein I've been taking in lately? I never craved meat before! I don't want anything to do with bread anymore, or chips, or tortillas, or corn Snacks. What I want now is a little dark green salad with truffle dressing, and some pork loin or chicken.

Could the high Protein diet fuel a hunger for more protein? I used to be a carb/starch addict, but now there's just no temptation whatsoever!

I find myself craving meat all the time, now. Maybe it is because that's the staple of my diet these days, but I also crave green veggies.. and a few days ago I found myself standing at the sink eating beets cold, straight from the can! LOL at myself for that one . I know better than to eat like that. I try to make sure I treat meals like an event these days, including silverware and my new china saucers that are my plates. I guess we must be ever-vigilant to not transfer our old food addictions and habits to new foods.

But, I do crave meat, preferably a nice medium-rare steak! :)

I find myself craving meat all the time, now. Maybe it is because that's the staple of my diet these days, but I also crave green veggies.. and a few days ago I found myself standing at the sink eating beets cold, straight from the can! LOL at myself for that one . I know better than to eat like that. I try to make sure I treat meals like an event these days, including silverware and my new china saucers that are my plates. I guess we must be ever-vigilant to not transfer our old food addictions and habits to new foods.

But, I do crave meat, preferably a nice medium-rare steak! :)

I love that you make meals into an event! I haven't been able to do that in awhile due to having to care for my mother in law who is in at home hospice. Its a great reminder that its always a good idea to set meal time aside, rather than to grab a shake in a can and just get it down you! I'm going to try cooking more now--starting with some gourmet Soup recipes, and I'm going to put candles out too!

I'm glad that it seems like my carb/starch addiction is gone for good, and I think that the risk of transferring it to meat products is probably pretty low. I also crave chickpeas and hummus and cottage cheese, so I think it's more the Protein than the meat itself. I just found it odd that I've been craving meat because I never was much of a meat eater.

Post-op, we eat so little that it's easy to just grab and go, but it's a terrible idea, IMO. This surgery is about us taking/regaining control of our lives and learning to treat ourselves better. I find that hard to do, as a lot of us do, I'm sure. I started out with little stuff, like making sure my meals were eaten from pretty plates and with cute utensils. That is helping me learn to make ME time as important as anything outsiders can throw at me.

I get a lot of work from outside companies and they will fill my days up to the brim if I allow it. I've done that all this week because I'm going on vacation in early July and I like having the cushion in the bank. However, I set my foot down tonight and just told all of my customers that I won't be available tomorrow after 5 pm. If they have any work it will need to be postponed until Monday, period. Do I feel guilty? Yeah, just a little, but not a lot. I WILL be busy, doing things or myself. :)

So, use the pretty plates. Carve out a few minutes to truly enjoy your food. I think that treating ourselves well in little things leads to our making time for ourselves in bigger things, like working out and sticking the our food/water goals. You have to become your own priority, or else others will happily make themselves the biggest priority in your life. :)

... or else others will happily make themselves the biggest priority in your life. :)

So true. Someone else is my biggest priority right now, but this is a great reminder that I HAVE to put my foot down somewhere. It will be good for our family to try to have mealtimes set apart for something special!

I see nothing wrong with deliberately putting someone else's needs before our own for a set period of time. Women do it often, while raising babies or taking care of elderly relatives, and we do it happily (for the most part) because we know these situations won't happen long-term. I just think we need to make sure we take care of ourselves, too. A happy, healthy heart and soul can handle those situations better than one that is full of bitterness and self-loathing. You're doing a great thing by your mother-in-love. :)

Lissa,

Your post spoke tremendously to me just now. I was sleeved June 1st and although I am losing and absolutely pleased with my decision to get sleeved, I still find that I put myself last.

I still have yet purchase any Protein powder due to the cost and feeling guilty for spending that much money on myself. I mean what if i dont like it, it would just go to waste and that is money I could of spent on groceries for my family. The same with my B-12 and Calcium Vitamins. It's really sad that I feel so guilty about investing in my own health and well being. But it's true that no one looks out for you except for your own self. I need to get it together and put my foot down and.realize that I am important.

Thank you again, Lissa.

Lissa ..... Love the new picture!

i agree that your writing is very powerful...we need to take care of ourselves....paper ourselves ....

Thank you for making me remember "me"...

Yumm truffle dressing! Maybe it's a stage because I crave everything but I know it's mine hunger because I don't feel hungry. Maybe it's a search for what will satisfy us in the most elemental way. I was a huge carb adict too (hopefully was) but now meat sounds so lovely. Maybe this journey helps us to crave what we need instead of feeding our emotions?