Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which Dr. Did You Pick. Why? Why Not The Others?

I have to self pay (no insurance coverage for this) and obviously Mexico is more doable for the budget. The guy in my area seems fine/nice but I think has only done about 100 surgeries too...

there seem to be about 5-6 "popular" doctors in Mexico.. so I'm curious-- what was the deciding factor/s for you in the one you picked. It likely wasn't location or personality because you would be traveling regardless and probably didn't meet the doctor...) I hear great things about so many... so i'd love to hear why you picked who you did...

was there something that made you rule out someone else? (i.e. bad feedback, something negative/)

Thanks!

I went on you tube and four of Dr Kelly patients were on there and they were pleased with his work, at this point i'm going with Garcia because there are a lot of patients pleased with him as well and a needed a cheaper price due to me needing dental work too

When I first started researching it was on a particular doctor. A friend of mine has the lap band and used Dr. Ortiz in Tijuana. Actually her whole family used him. She was telling me all about him, how he was featured on Oprah and all the magazine, and his practice is a center of excellence. I was almost positive I was going to use him. However my search was still continuing. Thats when I came across Dr. Guillermo Alvarez in Piedras negras. I started talking to people who have used him, as I was wanting to have the gastric sleeve and not lap band. After researching and reading many of forums, comments, reviews and articles I was positive that is who I wanted for my doctor. Last month I was able to meet him in person at a seminar he held in Houston, Texas. He was very thorough, answered all questions from the audience. After the seminar was over I met him personally and he even answered some one on one questions. that really meant a lot for him to take time out and make sure I had the answers I needed. I could not have chosen a better Dr. for myself. I am currently scheduled to have vsg surgery with on August 6th. He has tons of videos on youtube that will answer all sorts of questions a person may have. What I have observed is you are not just a patient, you become a friend, your not just discarded after surgery for he follows up with you through email, phone calls. If you have a problem you just shoot him an email or call the office and he will respond very quickly. He also has patient reunions every year where all his patients get together and Celebrate.< /p>

In the end I narrowed it down to Garcia, Ponce de leon & Kelly. Garcia didn't have as much experience as the other too & Dr ponce de leon doesn't speak english (and my spanish is non-existent!). So I did research on Dr Kelly & was very happy about all the feedback on here from him. So went with Dr Kelly.

He has had many years of experience, has a great team that work with him & is just such a nice man.

If you want to see some of my story, including how surgery went then you can view my weight loss blog: http://njsharonjourney.blogspot.com/

I chose Dr. Kelly because i had read good things and you can call and talk to him. He was having a special when i went it was $5000 i think now its $5500 i would use him again

I was going between Dr. Kelly, Garcia and Alvarez...hearing great things about all of them. I am in Texas and could drive to San Antonio to Dr. Alvarez which would save me air price and the hassle of flying altogether but he is much higher than Kelly and Garcia.

In the end, those 2 are only about $500 difference but in the same location, great experiences with both, etc. I honestly prayed about it and felt peace with Garcia and never looked back. The only thing I have really heard that could be a negative is not as much experience. But, he is also a teacher at a university and his record of the surgeries performed is great.

I havent met him yet, but have spoken with him through email and can not wait...I am very happy with my decision!

I was going between Dr. Kelly' date=' Garcia and Alvarez...hearing great things about all of them. I am in Texas and could drive to San Antonio to Dr. Alvarez which would save me air price and the hassle of flying altogether but he is much higher than Kelly and Garcia.

In the end, those 2 are only about 500 difference but in the same location, great experiences with both, etc. I honestly prayed about it and felt peace with Garcia and never looked back. The only thing I have really heard that could be a negative is not as much experience. But, he is also a teacher at a university and his record of the surgeries performed is great.

I havent met him yet, but have spoken with him through email and can not wait...I am very happy with my decision![/quote']

Consider talking on the phone with each surgeon and then choose who you are most confident in. I chose dr Kelly and was sleeved one week ago today. I have yet to have any pain or nausea and there are times I still wish I was there visiting with all of them. They teuely made me feel welcome and safe :-)

Talking to each surgeon is a good idea. I did a video conference with Dr. Alvarez. Also speak with previous patients and ask their opinion. I decided to use Dr. Alvarez, if I am denied by my insurance.

After speaking with Dr. Kelly on the phone, I was immediately comfortable. I was sleeved last thursday and I could not have been happier with my decision. He makes you feel like family. I was sleeved the same day as Cathy and I also wish I was back there visiting with them

I ultimately chose Dr Jose Rodriguez for several reasons but here are my main ones..

1) He operates out of the Star Medica hospital which is who the US Embassy uses in that area - I know that some people are ok with staying in a hotel or recovery house but if I'm going out of the country for the surgery I need to know that if anything comes up or I have questions or concerns I can push a nurse button and there is someone there.. I will be there 4 days and 3 nights in the hospital. This is definetly not to say the other options are wrong for someone else, I'm just already kind of stressing about being in Mexico to begin with so I want to know I will be in a safe and comfortable hospital stress free! lol btw, the hospital gets amazing reviews as well, you can look up pictures and videos of it on youtube.

2) He has a fantastic background (credentials & training) and history with his surgeries and has received degrees here in the US as well as several other countries.

3) Great reputation with his patients, I have spoken with 11 other women who loved him and his staff =) Especially that they speak English (well, most of them anyway! you are in Mexico after all lol) Dr Rod himself speaks English

There are more reasons but these are the biggies for me. I also truly love the co-ordinator that I am working with, Jessica at belight. She has been so helpful. It also helped that they financed a portion of the surgery for me with very affordable payments. This surgeon and hospital cost a little more than what I see on these forums, but I'm going to make the best decision for me during all of this and if it takes an extra $2K to have the peace of mind that I need, so be it =) My surgery is this next week on the 29th so I can give you more info on Dr Rodriguez and the hospital and area if you would like, just pm me!

Making this decision is so hard! Choosing the doc then listening to all of the different opinions and it seems as if all of these docs are loved by their patients so it's really about what is right for you.

Good luck with your journey!

I was going between Dr. Kelly' date=' Garcia and Alvarez...hearing great things about all of them. I am in Texas and could drive to San Antonio to Dr. Alvarez which would save me air price and the hassle of flying altogether but he is much higher than Kelly and Garcia.

In the end, those 2 are only about 500 difference but in the same location, great experiences with both, etc. I honestly prayed about it and felt peace with Garcia and never looked back. The only thing I have really heard that could be a negative is not as much experience. But, he is also a teacher at a university and his record of the surgeries performed is great.

I havent met him yet, but have spoken with him through email and can not wait...I am very happy with my decision![/quote']

I chose Dr Cavazos in San Antonio and my decision was made based on numerous patient referrals and my consultations with Dr Cavazos and his awesome staff! I am getting sleeved on July 9th!!

How much will you pay

Dr Kelly is normally $5500.

I choose dr aceves from all my research I'm sure all of these drs are great it's who you feel good with good luck choosing I'm having surgery June 30th in Mexicali