Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Will Happen If I Don't Follow The 2 Week Preopp Diet?

I totally get where you are coming from, but with Protein shakes it isn't a fast. I used this word too with my NUT and she quickly corrected me. She pointed out that we are getting all the nutrients we need. Your metabolism will not crash if you follow the rules. Day 12 on liquid protien here. Surgery on the 28th.

its a thin line for me. i guess im stuck in the world of eating every 2 to 3 hrs small meals to keep your metabolism going.

but hey i lost a lb this week. yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

That is a fair point. I apologize for calling everyone, but myself a d**k. I am a little on edge here, and get frustrated with people that are not supportive. You are right though, I should not call poeple names.

Sir, being on a diet such as this can make us a bit sensitive. There are a lot of different personalities here, some are more blunt and some are a little softer (including myself). This doesn't mean any of those responses are not being supportive. Perception is reality when reading anything on a message board.

I tend to ignore a lot of responses I see here as I do agree they can be wrapped a little nicer, but again that's just my opinion, and as such I choose how I respond.

To me it all falls under whether we feel we are doing it right or not (perception of our own personal journey's). That does not mean I should project those same ideals on anyone else.

I heard a quote just yesterday that read: "If you think you're doing everything right, then you're doing it wrong." I had to laugh because dangit if I don't see that so much. Not only here but all over the support websites. So, just take any response for what it is - someone's personal opinion. No opinion is fact. ^_^

I personally think you're doing really good. You reached out in a way I understood it, and I'm glad more of the responses than not were able to help you out in your time of need. We don't need a perfect record to get the sleeve, that is what the sleeve is FOR in my opinion. It's my safety net... however, I'm still the one walking across that tight rope.

Stay strong and keep fighting. As long as you're doing that, you will be just fine.

The pre-op diet is for two reasons, imo, 1. Shrink your liver and 2. to help you with will power and getting in the right frame of mind for your lifestyle change. Think of NIKE and "Just Do It"! :) It is HARD, but it is ALL so worth it! I wish you the best! :)

day three of pre op

The preop diet is to shrink your liver. The length is probably based on the amount of weight you have to lose. You should not cheat on this, if you do you will find yourself attempting to cheat post op. You may encounter complications also. If you want to eat on the preop liquid diet, perhaps you are not ready to go through with this surgery at all. It is only yourself you are hurting in the long run. You have to have the mindset that you are going to have to make severe changes in your eating habits, before and after. It starts with pre op.

I certainly did not mean anything rude about the post I made. I was just clearly stating in support that this is a lifestyle chage and you need to have your mindset that in order to be successful and healthy, you need to follow guidleines. The pre op diet is done to prevent complications with the surgery (an enlarged liver, etc) and also assures that the stomach does not contain food or waste. As another member stated, this is just the beginning of the journey, and two weeks is basically nothing compared to the next several months after surgery. The pre-op diet gives you a taste and a chance to start limiting your food intake. This will make it much easier for you after surgery. There will be alot of restrictions and changes you must make in order to to successful. But it is a commitment, and if you have decided to make this decision, it will be much easier for you in the long run, since it starts with pre-op. Everything I have said has been totally in support to help you realize this, as well as some of the other posts others have made. Not to upset you or call everyone else names, which I think is very uncalled for on this forum. We are all here to help each other. You may not agree with the response, but please don't think that we are here to hurt anyone's feelings. We have just been through it already and know what you are looking at in the months to come and want to share our advice.

So here's a unique perspective (at least I hope I'm the only one.) I stuck to my 14-day pre op diet without one failure at any time. Yes, I was very tired, very grumpy at times, but motivated to give this my all. Arrived for surgery and, because of the anesthesiologists, was not able to be intubated until my esophagus was quite inflammed. I was given steroids, and because of that, my surgeon cancelled my surgery. I was devasted! All my perfection for nothing. I guess I don't control EVERYTHING ^_^

My surgeon advised me while I waited for surgery to be rescheduled, to drink Protein shakes all day and have a "small, healthy dinner like Lean Cuisine." So I decided I would COOK healthy meals for my husband and me. At first I ate small portions of my healthy meals. But as time went on, my healthy meals became less healthy and my portions became larger. *sigh* I guess I need a sleeve.

So yesterday I started the 14-day countdown again with the liquid diet. I'm still motiviated to stick strictly to the plan get the best results, but not for another solid 14 days. I'm having a cheeseburger at the race track with my girls this Friday, and lunch with my Sunday school class this Sunday. All my other days will be perfect and my surgery and recovery will be as they should. There's no tragedy in planned moderation. In fact, it's a lot less stressful. Excuse me. I'm on a liquid diet and nature is calling! :huh:

G.

I'm not here to judge...cause God know's and I know that the pre-op diet is extremely difficult. But ask yourself this. The pre-op diet for me was the ultimate test. If I could not get myself to comply with the 2 week diet then why in the world would I make this life-long commitment.

I have now been post op for less than a week....and let me tell you something....the hunger does not competely go away. My stomach might be full but my brain wants to keep eating.

Make sure you are ready to make this commitment.

cadame had a most excellent response - but I would like to add that some of this may be head hunger - and that is an issue you will need to deal with. If you are still hungry after, say 2 protien shakes, then it is a bit of head hunger.

You need a snack shake as well as a Meal Replacement - chances are your Meal Replacement had a more substantial list of ingredients, and is a bit heavier in calories - try about 8 oz of unjury supplement with a dose of benefiber in it - it is almost straight protien and the Fiber will help with Constipation. Always get your doc's OK first.

Don't do anything that leaves you thinking about what you cant do - get out and do something you normally wouldnt do - break your habits. I discovered a book "The Power of Habit" by Charles Duhigg and I think it should be read, re-read, and then take notes...it is so good - explans so much!

Good luck on your journey!

This is the first thread I'm going to have to unscribe from. All the bickering back and forth ran the battery dead in my phone looking at all the that came in such short order. Lol

I know I'm going crazy I had surgery on the 25 of June and i have to be on full liquid till the 3 of aug. how the hell can I do that it is do hard and I

Need all the help I can get.....So I know how it is for real my fitness pal name is tamara1965

It is kinda like a test. It forces you to examine your relationship with food. I am on day six. I am on no solids. It has made me feel more committed to this journey.

With you day 6 and my nurse told me I could have sugar to level blood and I can't do it......this is my commitment....for me....

Has anyone ever heard of a doctor cancelling surgery because they can tell you've cheated on your pre-op diet? I have been on a two week liquid diet with a few veggies and bars. I am worried that the few cheats I have had will cancel my surgery. I have one more week. I am going to be so disciplined!

Has anyone ever been opened up and then the doctor has not completed the surgery?

Has anyone ever heard of a doctor cancelling surgery because they can tell you've cheated on your pre-op diet? I have been on a two week liquid diet with a few veggies and bars. I am worried that the few cheats I have had will cancel my surgery. I have one more week. I am going to be so disciplined!

Has anyone ever been opened up and then the doctor has not completed the surgery?

I have heard of it a few times on here........mine will be doing lab work first...I have been told but cannot confirm that it is the drinking liquid along with low carb that shrinks the liver.....

Your cheats sound minor, plus you have a week to make up for it. Don't sweat it, just try harder this week and you will be fine.

I am sure there have been doctos that canceled before, but if you are losing wieght, and not haveing a ton of carbs or fat, then you should be ok, in my opinion.

Ok, thank you! I am going to take this next week and get back in line.

No one said this was going to be easy, but the pre-op diet is a little slice of misery!

Ok, thank you! I am going to take this next week and get back in line.

No one said this was going to be easy, but the pre-op diet is a little slice of misery!

Just remember we are here for you. :)