Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Will Happen If I Don't Follow The 2 Week Preopp Diet?

What you may also want to consider, is that some people would have considered the answers that you found so insulting to be tremendously supportive. I found them to be extremely supportive and those people were very generous in devoting their time and energy to supporting you.

Unfortunately they have no idea what your reaction is going to be when they answer. You are always free to ignore their responses.

You may wish to review your initial post:

People replied to that post. Yes, you added more details later, but your initial post made it sound like you might just disregard the entire two week diet and those responses make perfect logic to such a question.

You igonorance of the english language is not my fault, try educating yourself. You and others made the assumption that I said can I eat every day all the time, and what ever I want. I said nothing like that, and again if a reply is not supportive then what is the point. They were not being generous with their time. the were being dicks, much the same way you are. I know, cause I am also a d**k. "Tough Love" is not being "tremendously supportive. "Tough love" is what you give someone, when all else fails. This was my first post asking for help form people i figured might be sympathetic.

Hey it's cool if you are a d**k too, just keep your mouth shut, and post somewhere else.

I know it's hard to comprehend, especially when still in the pre-op, but people who say "if you cheat then you maybe you aren't ready for surgery" are being supportive in the way they know how. I can pretty much promise the intent isn't to insult, belittle or put down, and most of the time it isn't projection.

So...how's the weather? :rolleyes:

Dr. Hoehn has a level head. He will take your actions in stride (as it sounds like he did). Tim will as well. They do TONS of surgeries and have seen it all. He really is a very skilled surgeon and could probably work with just about anything you threw at him. Anyone who could make a pretty little sleeve out of my scar-tissue-jumble-mass of a stomach is a miracle worker. Just continue be honest with your progress, and if you do falter - just make sure he knows about it. You don't want any surprises on your big morning. :)

The english language is quite easy for me to comprehend, but you are right.... The intent was to feel superior, the result was being insulting. You seem to skirt that line yourself. I am no longer worried about cheating I have a routine thanks to Nancy the nutritionist.

You igonorance of the english language is not my fault, try educating yourself. You and others made the assumption that I said can I eat every day all the time, and what ever I want. I said nothing like that, and again if a reply is not supportive then what is the point. They were not being generous with their time. the were being dicks, much the same way you are. I know, cause I am also a d**k. "Tough Love" is not being "tremendously supportive. "Tough love" is what you give someone, when all else fails. This was my first post asking for help form people i figured might be sympathetic.

Hey it's cool if you are a d**k too, just keep your mouth shut, and post somewhere else.

Until you have your own message board, you don't call the shots. You might want to step back from the computer for a while if simple advice from those with more experience comes across to you as "tough love" and you are reduced to childish name calling.

The english language is quite easy for me to comprehend, but you are right.... The intent was to feel superior, the result was being insulting. You seem to skirt that line yourself. I am no longer worried about cheating I have a routine thanks to Nancy the nutritionist.

Wha...?

1. When did I question your comprehension of English?

2. I don't think I skirt an insulting line in that message, but if you think so, you can tell me what you thought was insulting & we can figure it out - or I can shrug because you've already made up your mind (I don't know which applies). I tried to help you & give you info, I was not saying you aren't ready for surgery or whatever message you got, and apprently am now being lumped in with the rest of the "d***s"...?

I'm glad you're no longer worried about cheating. Nancy can be quite helpful (as can the others) - IMO. Nancy especially, since she's so focused on the bariatric patients. My point was just to state that a "cheat" is not going to derail a really good surgeon, which I believe Dr. Hoehn is. That's not saying "you're a cheater" or attacking you (or insulting you) in any possible way.

Everyone,

When you agree to make posts here at Vertical Sleeve Talk, you agree to maintain a certain code of conduct. This means you will not attack other member which includes name calling.

This is a support website, however that doesn't mean all responses are going to be what you may want to hear. As long as the response is done with courtesy and respect, please take it for what it is meant to be. The truth isn't always pleasant, however it's all in how the message is delivered. As long as it is not done in a rude or disrespectful manner then you either can reply in kind or not reply at all.

I would prefer not to have to close this thread. It is a very good question and one I do believe many pre-op Sleevers may need to know about.

Thanks to all for your continued contributions to VST.

Forum Rules: http://www.verticalsleevetalk.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Understood. I know I could be better at this. I still advise people to follow their surgeon's orders and I believe in that pre-op diet. I think I owe my success so far by keeping to liquids for so long. It's so worth it.

Wha...?

1. When did I question your comprehension of English?

2. I don't think I skirt an insulting line in that message, but if you think so, you can tell me what you thought was insulting & we can figure it out - or I can shrug because you've already made up your mind (I don't know which applies). I tried to help you & give you info, I was not saying you aren't ready for surgery or whatever message you got, and apprently am now being lumped in with the rest of the "d***s"...?

I'm glad you're no longer worried about cheating. Nancy can be quite helpful (as can the others) - IMO. Nancy especially, since she's so focused on the bariatric patients. My point was just to state that a "cheat" is not going to derail a really good surgeon, which I believe Dr. Hoehn is. That's not saying "you're a cheater" or attacking you (or insulting you) in any possible way.

Sorry, I was trying to be humourous, in reference ot your post you made a little earlier. How you were saying you were opinonated, and what not. I did not mean that to read that way...jees there goes my cred making fun of other peoples grasp of our language.

Understood. I know I could be better at this. I still advise people to follow their surgeon's orders and I believe in that pre-op diet. I think I owe my success so far by keeping to liquids for so long. It's so worth it.

See that sounds excellent to me. I just would see that coupled with the, if you can't do it, then you shouldn't have surgery.

Until you have your own message board, you don't call the shots. You might want to step back from the computer for a while if simple advice from those with more experience comes across to you as "tough love" and you are reduced to childish name calling.

That is a fair point. I apologize for calling everyone, but myself a d**k. I am a little on edge here, and get frustrated with people that are not supportive. You are right though, I should not call poeple names.

IM SORRY I FEEL THAT THE OLD STOMACH IS USE TO FILLING UP AND ITS HARD TO RESTRICCT WITHOUT CHEATING. AND I DO THINK YOU WILL BE READY WHEN YOU GET THE NEW STOMACH BECAUSE ITS SMALLER AND CANT HANDLE MUCH. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERANCE HERE YOU KNOW.

I AM DOING MY BEST I HAVE BEEN TRAINED NOT TO STARVE YOURSELF AND THIS LIWQID DIET IS A FAST. SO I EAT dinner SO MY METABMOLISM DONT CRASH ON ME IN THE MEAN TIME. IM JUST SAYING.

The only thing I have to add is that sticking to the post op diet is sooooo much easier. Easier for me for two reasons.

1. I am simply not hungry. In fact, yesterday, I forgot to eat. Not that I recommend that. Yes, I still think about yummy things, but I kinda don't really care. A BBQ scent smells good to me in the same way a rose does. It smells nice, but I don't want to eat it.

2. I am not even 2 weeks post op yet, but eating things now could really cause me damage, not just postpone surgery. That is a real scare for me, and so I follow my surgeon's plan for introducing foods.

Best of luck with the rest of your pre op and hopefully your surgery will goes as smoothly and uneventfully as mine.

See that sounds excellent to me. I just would see that coupled with the, if you can't do it, then you shouldn't have surgery.

I can see how that would miff anyone that really wants this. Just consider: There are plenty of people out there who really are not good matches for this type of surgery. I see them in my doctor's support groups. People halfway or all the way to goal who have gained the weight back.

The sleeve is great, but it still takes a gargantuan level of self control to not eat around the sleeve. I still want macaroni and cheese and bread and Pasta, but like an alcoholic I can't take the one sip or bite sometimes. Most of the time I am in control, but I have binged once or twice after surgery and it scared me. You can't eat as much, but there are foods called sliders that go right through. Alcohol goes right through and is loaded with calories.

I DO get hungry especially when I hike, but I have noticed that I eat less, because I'm doing something. I have learned that I eat more when I'm reading or just sitting around. I wasn't hungry for the first couple of months, but it does come back in varying degrees.

We want everyone to succeed.

newgrandmother, what you say is true in that the smaller stomach will limit how much you can eat at any given time. But that is a big difference from the head hunger that so many deal with, even with the smaller sleeved stomach. There are gazillions of posts here about head hunger, and grazing, after the sleeve.

It's been said so many hundreds of times, the sleeve is a TOOL. It is not a magic cure-all for overeating. Sleevers can in time continue to overeat. The cure comes from the head, not from the surgery. For the sleeve to work, the head has got to get fixed too.

And I think that is the gist of this entire thread, and what so many have been trying to say.

IM SORRY I FEEL THAT THE OLD STOMACH IS USE TO FILLING UP AND ITS HARD TO RESTRICCT WITHOUT CHEATING. AND I DO THINK YOU WILL BE READY WHEN YOU GET THE NEW STOMACH BECAUSE ITS SMALLER AND CANT HANDLE MUCH. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERANCE HERE YOU KNOW.

I AM DOING MY BEST I HAVE BEEN TRAINED NOT TO STARVE YOURSELF AND THIS LIWQID DIET IS A FAST. SO I EAT dinner SO MY METABMOLISM DONT CRASH ON ME IN THE MEAN TIME. IM JUST SAYING.

I totally get where you are coming from, but with Protein shakes it isn't a fast. I used this word too with my NUT and she quickly corrected me. She pointed out that we are getting all the nutrients we need. Your metabolism will not crash if you follow the rules. Day 12 on liquid protien here. Surgery on the 28th.

I HEAR YOU. BUT DIETS AND FAST ARE THE REASONS WE ARE WHERE WE ARE RIGHT NOW. WHAT I MEAN BY SMALLER AND CONTROL WELL FOR ME IS THE TOOL WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO OVEREAT. AND I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF HEAD HUNGER TILL I GOT ON THESE FOROUMS. I STRONGLY BELIEVE IN THE SLEEVE AND THAT IT WILL WORK FOR ME. THE PRE OP DIET IS A DIET POINT BLANK AND MOST OF US ARE FAT BECAUSE WE HAVE DONE ONE DIET AFTER ANOTHER. I DO FEEL THAT THE MIND IS POWERFUL BUT THAT NEW TOOL WONT ALLOW YOU TO DO THAT. UNLESS YOU ARE REALLY THAT WEEK. I KNOW FOR MYSELF I DONT LIKE TO VOMIT SO I WILL NOT EAT PAST THAT FULL STAGE. AND I DKNOW DRINKING ALL THAT Water AND TRING TO GET THE OTHER liquids IN I WILL NOT THINK ABOUT HUNGER.. DONT GET ME WRONG I TINK YOU SHOULD LOSE WEIGHT IF THE DOC TELLS YOU I KNOW I AM.

SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS :rolleyes: