Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LDS Bandsters

I was really sad to see Mitt Romney drop out. Now I only hope that McCain picks him as his Vice Presidental running mate. I don't know how realistic that wish is, but stranger things have happened before. If not, there's always 2012.

MIZTER-ok, it's funny to see that your stake center is too far being 10 miles away, but the one behind your house is good. lol.

Oh to be in the land of Mormons! The closest I have lived to my stake center is about 60 miles, it's 92 miles away now.

Is anyone else sad that Mitt Romney dropped out? I was hoping he would make it.

i am not in utah, i am in Liberty, MO. the boundaries were redrawn about 3 yrs ago because Independence stake needed more PH holders. I live close to Liberty stake, but am not in Liberty stake. I do not normally go to stake functions, as i don't want to drive all the way down there. It reminds me of when i did live in utah. i could have walked thru a gate from my backyard, and be in the church parking lot that was my assigned ward. but to drive there, because of the street config, i drove past 2 other ward buildings to get to mine.and anyone in salt lake area knows walking to church in winter is not an option.

i am sad Romney dropped out. i did not plan to vote for him because he was LDS, but i think he was the best candidate. i'm not sure who i will vote for, but it wont be mcain or hillary.

Sacrament bread! I hadn't even thought about it. I haven't been to church for two weeks, I won't be on solids by the time I get back there, so what do I do? What did the rest of you do?

Re: Mitt Romney, I also hold out the hope that McCain takes him as VP running mate. I think they would actually make a pretty good team with McCain being strong on defense and Romney's economic background. It's so weird to me how in politics these guys are practically mortal enemies until things change and then it's all happiness and endorsements.

My stake center is 2 1/2 hours away. We have limited what we attend there mostly because of practical reasons and finances. Oh, to be only 10 miles away. Our branch building is 39 miles away, so even church is 30-35 minutes away. I do miss living in more populated church areas.

we had the last 2 hrs cancelled today due to snow.the roads were very bad. 2 of the 3 speakers scheduled didnt show up. we actually left right after sacrament was passed. bouth our children(4 and 2) were acting up. My 2 yr old OCD son was having a fit because the overflow accordion doors were not opened up since there was no overflow.

Shinyhappymommy - In regards to sacrament bread. I just didn't partake of the sacrament for the first 2 or 3 weeks after surgery. Where everyone said bread was so bad, I didn't want to gag during the meeting. It did feel sort of weird sitting there and not taking it though.

re: politics - I have trouble thinking of any of the present candidates as being president. The only way I would vote for McCain is with Mitt as VP.

I'm always so worried the bread will get stuck. Especially now in my new ward...the bread is huge!

Tip: keep the bread in the mouth til the Water comes....the bread breaks down into a plasma/ liquid.

That's how to avoid gaging.

My dad volunteered for Mitt, making calls and such. All he could talk about was Mitt! He was crushed when he suspended his campaign, but now he's talking Mitt 2012! :wub: I mean... I really thought Mitt was just getting his name out there for the next campaign anyway.

So, this morning I got on the scale and saw I've dropped a total of 21 pounds since the beginning of my preop diet. I had such a hard time not nibbling everything yesterday, but today IT WAS SO WORTH IT!

I have my post op in a couple hours. My stiches are SO ITCHY they're killing me.

JesusChrist.lds.org

This is a new site by the church. Very neat, good missionary tool!

I went to the BYU vs. TCU basketball (BYU won, btw). IT was a neat experience, the missionaries in the area got to go and they all sat in one section. When they showed the missionaries on the jumbo tron, there was a loud cheer from the crowd. There were more BYU fans than TCU fans and we were on TCU's turf! :) It was just awesome.

Not to imply that all mormons are BYU fans... I just happened to graduate from there and really do bleed blue. :eek:

Hope everyone had a great Sunday. Mine was busy with the nursery kids. I never knew what a workout I could get with so many toddlers!!!! ;)

I've been wondering how fasting goes with the band? Do you who are banded fast? I haven't been fasting for coming up on two years now with being pregnant and nursing. I think I'm getting ready to start again, but now I have the band, so I'm unsure.

Hi Heidabear! Had a busy Sunday today. Fighting off cold/sore throat/nastiness that's going around.

Since fasting is very personal, it can be modified to fit someone's situation.

I've heard some say because they have _______ (fill in the blank) that they "can't" fast.

Fasting is so much more than going w/o food.

My sister who has a thyroid condition will go w/o a certain food she dearly loves and eats often. Or she'll just drink Water instead of juice, koolaid, etc.

For me, I have fasted, but not in the traditional sense. I go w/o food for 1 meal and I'm shaking/sweating/ and feel like I'm going to die...but I know I won't.

The band doesn't interfere with fasting, as going without a meal, two...or even a few days won't hurt anything.

Hey all I am also LDS out here in Northern California. Been a member my whole life. Went on a mission to the Ohio Cincinnati mission and spent a lot of time in eastern Kentucky and southern Ohio. As happens with a lot of missionaries who go there and eat too much of that awesome deep fried Kentucky food, I gained about 20 pounds on my mission.

I do not have the band yet, but have been seriously considering it. Just gathering as much information as possible on it to try making a decision. I have been overweight since I was about 11 years old. By 16 I was 280. Stayed at 280 til about the middle of my mission where I went up to 290 at about 20 years old. Had Gall bladder problems and had to come home to have that taken out, then went back out on the mission and finnished it in 2002 at just under 300 pounds where I've been hovering for the last 6 years.

Was glad I found this thread. Have been curious to know what other LDS people thought about the band, and if it caused any problems with you all taking the sacrament and fasting. So I'm glad this thread answered some of those questions. Really hit me that I needed to so something the other day when I went to the temple and my white pants just BARELY fit! They were tight!!! I used to almost need a belt to keep them from falling down, but now they are way too tight. That is just not cool!:smile:

Welcome! I've been banded just under 2 months and I'm getting close to having lost 40 pounds. This journey has been amazing so far. I hope it works out for you.

Welcome truckoholic - I've been banded just over 5 months and have lost 90 pounds. I love my band! Hope this works out for you.

Hey there trucker! I've been banded almost a whole year (few days from now) and I will never regret it. I've had a variety of friends that have had the bypass, but the more I prayed about it, the worse I felt (for me personally). So when the band came along, I certainly thought about it from many angles of membership. I waited 6 mos. before I was banded due to my schedule and HMO. I thought that this was the best way for me to keep the WoW to the fullest. I will admit that I still have some carbs, but not NEARLY the amount I'd been used to before. As for the sacrament, I remember attending church the Sunday after my surgery and didn't stop to think about taking the sacrament...and then OH :smile: MY....I remembered that it was bread!!! (I'd only had the band a few days....LOL) I just said a quick prayer and I was fine. Have been fine ever since, in fact, I NEVER have trouble with the sacrament, but I have had trouble if I try to even sneak a baby size bite of bread. I figure HF is watching out for me and wants me to succeed with this. I've not lost great leaps of weight, but I am constantly going down, slowly, but down. I'm the size I was when I came home from my mission, and I just need about 40 more lbs. to be my high school weight. So I say go for it. BTW, I'm one of those southern WV chicks, so I totally get the food thing, but I do know that because I'm in my 40s, it's not coming off easily, so do it now, while you're young. Well, there you have it, my opinion. (For what it's worth)

Good Luck!

Allright, I've debated this for awhile- but I decided to bring it up.

Has everyone seen the news about the Fundamentalist sect here in Texas? They've taken 400 kids into legal temporary custody. All I can think of is how sad I feel for the kids.

What are everyone's thoughts?