Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

*blushing* But I Have To Ask....bowel Issues...

I was sleeved on May 21st. Since then, I just can't regulate my bowels. I either have diarrhea, or am constipated for 5 days. I have tried Milk of Mag (too harsh), and Miralax. Both cause me to have the diarrhea. I am still only able to eat Protein sources like (chicken, turkey, tuna, eggs, etc). Does anyone have any suggestions to get things more "regular?" I drink plenty of fluids and move a lot.

have you tried Fiber supplements instead of laxatives? I know they work for some people. You just have to be careful they don't bulk you up too much.

I was wondering about adding a little bit of fiber mix to a Protein Shake? That might help - just a little bit in a shake, everyday?

I am having the same issues. Its either one or the other but usually Constipation. I feel like I am going to explode and gain a couple pounds before I take something to alleviate the problem. It can be painful taking laxatives. I would like to take something to keep me regular and not have to wait and then go to the extreme to take care of it. Any suggestions that have worked for someone in the same boat would be appreciated.

This is very common with sleeve patients. I have found that with Constipation a Colace capsule (stool softener, not a laxative) taken at night before bed does the trick by morning and also make sure you are getting in your Water and more! Also a little bit of non-fat Greek yogurt with fruit. For the other issue, babybel cheese takes care of that with me.

I eat a lot of cheese and drink a few cups of Decaf coffee every week. For the most part my bathroom habits are regular and "normal". I had IBS symptoms pre-surgery, so I think I'm doing a decent job of balancing things. I did have a few days of very loose about 5-6 weeks out from surgery and my doctor recommended that I add more cheese to my food. So, I eat at least one mini babybel per day, plus string cheese and shredded cheese on food.

The mineral Magnesium is great for helping you to go! It is cheap too. You don't have to buy the Milk of Magnesium for that.

Being that I had these issues before surgery, I'm going to assume fiber won't work because it never did before. Where do you buy regular magnesium?

I haven't been able to find anything to help me, nothing. It is a struggle every day.

A little prune juice will loosen just about any clog, and for the opposite problem, I agree with the fiber suggestions. Go with the clear fiber that you can put in anything, just be careful not to use too much or you'll bulk, and that's no fun.

Anyone find that a probiotic helps?

You can buy magnesium at Walmart. It is like $2 something per bottle. If you take it, start out with 250 mg, if nothing, move to 500 mg. I wouldn't jump to 500 mg at first w/o working your way up because it can be explosive. It also helps with muscle cramps.

Anyone find that a probiotic helps?

I take acidophilus but it only helps for Constipation. cheese doesn't seem as binding as I hoped. I cook a few prunes in Water in the microwave and eat that and drink the juice for constipation, too.

I was sleeved in 2011 and I still have issues! I've tried everything listed and sometimes it works..If you find a cure let me know! good luck!