Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Testing Today: Slightly Over 2 Weeks Till Surgery - It's Gettin' Real.

Okay so here is what happened today: I went to preop testing. I got poked in the arm. Then I got an EKG. Then I got an ultrasound(hurt more than the poking they really pressed hard against my rib cage which is kinda tender). Then I got a chest x-ray.

Then went to lunch for an hour. After lunch I went to a Seminar and talked to a Lady who went over the whole surgery process, what it entails, what we can/can't eat before/after surgery, etc.

After the seminar there are a handful of things that freak me out: 1. I'm very squeamish and we will have a little bulb or drain attached to us that will catch any leaks, or other fluids - we will wear this for 3-4 weeks till our first post-op consult with the doctor.

2. Catheter, she showed a dummy with a catheter attached and I felt sick, seriously. I'm not too concerned about it going in she said 'don't worry, you'll be knocked out' to which I then said, yeah but not when you yank it out...that's when it hurts.

3. Blood clots still freak me out and worry me. I definitely don't wanna go through all this to die from a blood clot.

4. It's just really getting real...lol Gettin' nervous my surgery is two weeks from Monday! Yikes!

So after the seminar we went upstairs and walked around the surgery floor. It's pretty long and we have to do 10 laps a day..carrying all the damn wires attached - that's gonna be fun lol...

After the hospital my wife and I went walking at the Arboretum it was fun, and as a bonus they have benches every 50 feet so when my back hurts I can easily find a spot to sit down -this is my new favorite place to workout at ... I didn't eat all that healthy today, I had a slice of pizza on wheat crust + turkey pepperoni at the hospital which was pretty good but healthier than normal pizza, but probably still not ideal. I also had a Muscle Milk w/ lunch for added Protein. dinner was a Gyro without the pita, and half of a rootbeer float (split it w/ my wife).

The good thing is I'm like 300 calories under goal because of my exercise! Carbs are probably pretty high though, but, oh well.. I think I will reach my goal of losing 40 - 50 pounds by my surgery. I've already lost 20, just need 20-30 more - hopefully 30.

I'm pretty excited about everything, though more nervous than I was, but all in all I had a pretty good day!

Wow Patrick your orientation seems awesome. Well minus ur squimish experience but at least it will not catch you off guard. By the way I tried sending the private message to join your Facebook for July dates and didn't go thru :(

I can't WAIT to see you take off with this!! It will be exciting to see! :)

Wow Patrick your orientation seems awesome. Well minus ur squimish experience but at least it will not catch you off guard. By the way I tried sending the private message to join your Facebook for July dates and didn't go thru :(

Did you add me on Facebook? I can add you to the group as soon as you add me, just let me know your name on Facebook.

They only left my drain in for a day. I am stunned they want to leave it in for weeks!

Sent from my iPad using VST

What it yours? . So I can add you. Mine set to private so might not let you. But here is My email patty_hdz@msn.com, thanks

They only left my drain in for a day. I am stunned they want to leave it in for weeks!

I think it's to ensure that there are no leaks. Were you done locally, or away from home(e.g. Mexico)?

I think it's to ensure that there are no leaks. Were you done locally' date=' or away from home(e.g. Mexico)?[/quote']

I live in New Zealand, so local for me but way way away from you! Lol.

I have not scheduled my surgery date yet, it seems there is always some other test or blood lab that is needed. I have a genetic disorder that causes my blood to clott easier than it should, so I have had to jump through more hoops then most people. It scares the crap out of me. The WLS wants to schedule the first or second week in July if my vit. D levle is ok. I should know on Monday. Are you more excited or eager to get the surgery completed?

I live in New Zealand, so local for me but way way away from you! Lol.

Well, I could just see - if you're flying home after surgery or not going to have 'aftercare' as is the case w/ the Mexican surgeries, that they would probably just remove it. I'm sure all doctors are different though.. I also am getting 2 fun-filled weeks of Lovenox injections yay! Don't know if all doctors give that either.

I have not scheduled my surgery date yet, it seems there is always some other test or blood lab that is needed. I have a genetic disorder that causes my blood to clott easier than it should, so I have had to jump through more hoops then most people. It scares the crap out of me. The WLS wants to schedule the first or second week in July if my vit. D levle is ok. I should know on Monday. Are you more excited or eager to get the surgery completed?

I just want to get it done and over w/ so I don't have to worry about it anymore..pain /discomfort is always "less of a pain" in the rearview mirror so to speak. hehe. I just want it to be done and be month 3... I seriously wish I could like skip forward 3 months like on Click that would be nice lol.

Well' date=' I could just see - if you're flying home after surgery or not going to have 'aftercare' as is the case w/ the Mexican surgeries, that they would probably just remove it. I'm sure all doctors are different though.. I also am getting 2 fun-filled weeks of Lovenox injections yay! Don't know if all doctors give that either.[/quote']

I had a four days of those but previous surgery saw me having them for two weeks. Ugh. I don't mind needles but that injection is a nasty one! Just think of the result though, and better with the injections than without.

Time will fly by and before you know it you will be waking up in the recovery room on the first day of your new life.

I remember saying that I wish I could wake up a month later.... I really am not all that fond of pain. That being said, it hasn't been a horrible experience. Yes, I had the drain but since I had very little Fluid coming from it my Doctor took it out the day I left the hospital. He really asesses each patient individually. The pain is pretty much the same as a previous laprascopic surgery so that wasn't too surprising and I made sure that I got plenty of drugs for nausea. I found I was much more comfortable sleeping in the recliner in the hospital - the bed bothered my back. I wasn't allowed up for 24 hrs after the surgery because I had a big blood loss but once up the walking was ok, as long as I clamped a pillow to my belly. The best thing I think that I did for myself in the hospital was to have an ice pack consistently on my stomach. Maybe it's more mental but I think it helped my stomach from becoming too swollen. Ice chips were also my friend.

You are going to do great!!

Now at 10 days out I can say things are getting lots better!

Patrick, with your commitment, I know you will do great! You will be ahead of me, so I am watching you (not in a stalking way).... I'm really hoping the drain thing doesn't happen to me, that's what grosses me out. The catheter, well for women ( I had one with my c-section), wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did pee myself (tmi?) once just after they took it out b/c I couldn't feel it until, well it was too late. My husband, just like your wife are very supportive, so we are very lucky. Your time will come before you know it!

Patrick' date=' with your commitment, I know you will do great! You will be ahead of me, so I am watching you (not in a stalking way).... I'm really hoping the drain thing doesn't happen to me, that's what grosses me out. The catheter, well for women ( I had one with my c-section), wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I did pee myself (tmi?) once just after they took it out b/c I couldn't feel it until, well it was too late. My husband, just like your wife are very supportive, so we are very lucky. Your time will come before you know it![/quote']

Lol at stalking.