Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-Op Testing Today: Slightly Over 2 Weeks Till Surgery - It's Gettin' Real.

Okay so here is what happened today: I went to preop testing. I got poked in the arm. Then I got an EKG. Then I got an ultrasound(hurt more than the poking they really pressed hard against my rib cage which is kinda tender). Then I got a chest x-ray.

Then went to lunch for an hour. After lunch I went to a Seminar and talked to a Lady who went over the whole surgery process' date=' what it entails, what we can/can't eat before/after surgery, etc.

After the seminar there are a handful of things that freak me out: 1. I'm very squeamish and we will have a little bulb or drain attached to us that will catch any leaks, or other fluids - we will wear this for 3-4 weeks till our first post-op consult with the doctor.

2. Catheter, she showed a dummy with a catheter attached and I felt sick, seriously. I'm not too concerned about it going in she said 'don't worry, you'll be knocked out' to which I then said, yeah but not when you yank it out...that's when it hurts.

3. Blood clots still freak me out and worry me. I definitely don't wanna go through all this to die from a blood clot.

4. It's just really getting real...lol Gettin' nervous my surgery is two weeks from Monday! Yikes!

So after the seminar we went upstairs and walked around the surgery floor. It's pretty long and we have to do 10 laps a day..carrying all the damn wires attached - that's gonna be fun lol...

After the hospital my wife and I went walking at the Arboretum it was fun, and as a bonus they have benches every 50 feet so when my back hurts I can easily find a spot to sit down -this is my new favorite place to workout at ... I didn't eat all that healthy today, I had a slice of pizza on wheat crust + turkey pepperoni at the hospital which was pretty good but healthier than normal pizza, but probably still not ideal. I also had a Muscle Milk w/ lunch for added Protein. dinner was a Gyro without the pita, and half of a rootbeer float (split it w/ my wife).

The good thing is I'm like 300 calories under goal because of my exercise! Carbs are probably pretty high though, but, oh well.. I think I will reach my goal of losing 40 - 50 pounds by my surgery. I've already lost 20, just need 20-30 more - hopefully 30.

I'm pretty excited about everything, though more nervous than I was, but all in all I had a pretty good day![/quote']

Congratulations on your surgery. I have the same fears - I will have surgeu in Oct or Nov. the catheter scares me too. But surgeon said that VSG patients often have urine retention and thus need a catheter. My friends all say that catheters are not painful (two physicians and one nurse). I hope that they are right. I am hoping that the catheter is inserted while I am under anesthesia.