Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 Th Day Of Pre Op Liquid Diet And I'm Starving

Okay, so I had to do a 1 week pre op liquid diet...and I'm falling apart. Today is Day 4 and its the worse day, I'm at work and my stomach is growling...I just want some fries, a cracker, a slice of bread...something... And I thought quitting smoking was the hard part, this is torture! Someone please give me some good words!!

Sincerly

Desperatly Hungry In Dallas

Have you tried eating some popcicles or Jello? make sure you eat something every couple of hours to keep a sense of fullness. you are over 1/2 way there and it will be worth it in the end. If you are really struggling contact your dr's office. My Dr had an alternative pre-op diet that they let me use which let me have lean meats, eggs, cheese, and some salad. According to them high Protein low carb is really what is needed. Go with whatever your Dr tells you but it's worth asking. If you have to stick with liquids just remind yourself that it's only 3 more days. Good Luck!!!

Thanks! I never thought about calling my doctors office- I will call them now, to see if I can atleast have a scrambled egg..and I wasnt eating/drinking something every 2 hours- that may help me also.

Yeah, I noticed that I got really hungry unless I tried to get something in every couple of hours. AFter I started doing that it helped a lot.

I'm jealous because I am also on day 4 but my pre-op diet is for 2 weeks! I don't get sleeved until 6/25 and my Dr. doesn't offer any alternatives. It's liquids only, period (and sugar free Jello).....I get through it by reminding myself that a couple of weeks of sacrifice is worth it for a lifetime of health....Good Luck to you!!!!

mine was 2 wks also. It can be done. And it's all about shrinking your liver. Drink Water, and then more water, and then some water. I was allowed chicken broth which helped too. I remember thinking if my liver isn't shrunk, he's not doing the procedure which is exactly what my surgeon said. Kept me on the straight and narrow for 2 WEEKS. Not gonna lie, it was torture - BUT it is temporary. Cross those days off, keep a diary.

This is day 4 for me too. I'm in the same boat as SMP1126. I've asked several times about substitutes and it's really a no-go. I asked if I could do Atkins in lieu of this liquid diet. The answer, "Yes...Atkins shakes!" Uhhh, not what I meant!!! Yesterday and today have been so hard for me. I have images of macaroni and cheese dancing in my head. I really feel like I don't know how I'll make it.

But if others before us did it, I guess we can too. That's what i keep telling myself...that, and I need my liver shrunk!

Oh I feel your pain.....starving in Dallas too . I'm on Bariatric Advantage. Occasionally I have a celery stick or a spoon of cottage cheese. Surgery 6-18. Guess I better quit doing that. Think the every three hours is a good idea. Are you all counting broth as part of your liquid requirement or is it just Water?

My NUT gave me at least some variety for my 14 day liquid diet. I was able to have low sodium broth (which helped, since it's really the only salty thing I can have), SF Jello, SF pudding, SF popsicles/creamsicles, SF applesauce, Gatorade and 2 of the Bariatric Advantage shakes, but I could add anything SF to the shake (sugar free chocolate Syrup, banana, etc).

The key for me was to make sure I was getting my Water in, constantly sipping (that will get you prepped for sipping after surgery) and make sure you have something every 2 hours or you'll get the hunger pangs for sure.

Thank u good info

Thanks everyone! I called my dr's office and they said "No" to me eating eggs...ugh! I started eating every two hours, and I came home from work and mixed cream of potato with cream of chicken and that seems to have me pretty full, I just keep saying 3 more days!

But if I can only have 1 MORE hamburger, I would probably be okay..LOL

...I just want some fries' date=' a cracker, a slice of bread[/quote']

notice what all these have in common? They are all empty carbs with no nutritional content. These are the hardest to give up. But you can be sure that you are doing yourself well to avoid these all together. Don't let you're mind fool you. These are cravings, not hunger. If it were hunger you would be focused on nourishment.

Today is also day 4 for me. I find im so busy I dont get all my meals and shakes from the dr. My weight is already going down. I drink was and unsweet tea oh my splurge is one SF jello! Makes me smile. I far ...... Its a breeze for me Hoe it stats that way for one more week

I just got scared reading this thread. I have to do a 6 week liquid diet and I'm on day one and already kinda ate some solids, chopped up chicken in my broth. So my surgery date is July 25th and I'm currently 516 lbs. So my doc wants me to do a long diet to really shrink and to make sure I'm under 500 for the surgery day (hospital policy) I haven't gone in to talk to my NUT because she is a two hour drive away but I really need to get a better understanding of what is considered part of the liquid diet. Good luck to everyone on their diets and remember the new you is worth some sweat and tears now..