Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Orleans in Danger again

Maybe you should find another gas station. Cause that one seems fishy.
Do you think that I went to the only gas station in town?

Of course I cruised around for a few minutes to pick out one with a short line.

TOM, I can see that you are shaken by past events and the possiblity of more to come. But please keep in mind that it's always important to help everyone stay calm. Panic brings on the 30 minute lines and fist fights at the gas pumps.

The best anyone can do is -calmly- prepare for the storm or make the decision that the stress of living in such an area is too much. To me it seems a bit overboard to frighten people into panic and alarm. That is when people get hurt even if the storm never shows up.

And I'm sure that the people who have posted here are compassionate people who would be the first ones out the door to help others in the even of a major catastrophe.

according to the 2pm advisory the storm is barely going to clip miami. and it won't even hit till Wednesday. At least for me, filling up this early would not be a good thing. Cause i have a life to lead and will be using that whole tank of gas before wednesday morning. LOL they also don't feel this storm will make any impact on florida other than rain and a little wind. that is IF it strengthens before it hits florida. it is falling aprat as we speak.

Do you think that I went to the only gas station in town?

Of course I cruised around for a few minutes to pick out one with a short line.

hell i want to open a gas station where you live! Sounds like they are doing good business! LOL

This does make for a good thread....at least me thinks so. I've learned a lot.

I think T.O.M does make a good point in that many people involved in Katrina did not have the resources to "get out" or did the best they could to find protection. Many of these people can barely afford food let alone insurance. Having experienced times in life where I didn't have 2 dimes to rub together, I can understand. They do the best they can. Not to mention, in some cases the local government let people down along with the double disaster of our own country letting these these dear people down.

My heart goes out to the people. Unless I'm wrong (please say so) I think this was the point of this thread was not to induce panic, but to bring awareness. Perhaps more people will consider volunteering in areas of disaster.

um...before katrina the govt sent buses around to evacuate people. here in florida if you are in an area that needs to be evacuated you can call your local police and they will evacuate you to a shelter. there is not excuse. sorry. I have been through enough of them to know the inner workings. my brother in law is head of the emergency disaster response group (the state version of FEMA) in South Carolina. I know how SC, NC, GA, FL and MS are set up in times of hurricane, or other natural disaster. We speak about it a lot. There is absolutely no excuse for people to not evacuate. Those that stay due so on their own accord, and if you stay, you have no place to complain. You chose your bed, lay in it. wet or dry.

As for personal belongings, I have been penniless a lot of times in my life. I guess I had the sense to realize that putting myself in the middle of a state that would guarantee my belongings getting destroyed at least once a month was a bad idea. So I moved out of the state. And before anyone says that takes a lot of money...no it doesn't. I have moved across the country 3 times on very little. Once as a family of four. its easy if you try.

TOM, I can see that you are shaken by past events and the possiblity of more to come. But please keep in mind that it's always important to help everyone stay calm. Panic brings on the 30 minute lines and fist fights at the gas pumps.

The best anyone can do is -calmly- prepare for the storm or make the decision that the stress of living in such an area is too much. To me it seems a bit overboard to frighten people into panic and alarm. That is when people get hurt even if the storm never shows up.

It isn't me who has declare a disaster. It is Jeb Bush. As I said, I started this thread to bring attention to the people of New Orleans. It still looks like a third world garbage dump.
And I'm sure that the people who have posted here are compassionate people who would be the first ones out the door to help others in the even of a major catastrophe.
And I am sure you are right. But too many people think that being poor in the USA is the ultimate sin.

People need to be compassionate even when it is not their neighbor on their block or in their city or in their country. Are we all not God's children?

I heard Donald Trump on TV being interviewed many years ago. Mr. Trump described himself as a "self-made" man. The interviewer asked him, "Didn't your father put you through college and give you $5,000,000 to start you off?"

"What's $5,000,000?" the Donald asked. Well that was back in the early 1970's, so $5,000,000 is probably worth about $30 to $50 million in todays money. I am not saying that anyone here is so unappreciative of what they were given, but sometimes we take too much for granted.

um...before katrina the govt sent buses around to evacuate people. here in florida if you are in an area that needs to be evacuated you can call your local police and they will evacuate you to a shelter. there is not excuse. sorry. I have been through enough of them to know the inner workings. my brother in law is head of the emergency disaster response group (the state version of FEMA) in South Carolina. I know how SC, NC, GA, FL and MS are set up in times of hurricane, or other natural disaster. We speak about it a lot. There is absolutely no excuse for people to not evacuate. Those that stay due so on their own accord, and if you stay, you have no place to complain. You chose your bed, lay in it. wet or dry.

As for personal belongings, I have been penniless a lot of times in my life. I guess I had the sense to realize that putting myself in the middle of a state that would guarantee my belongings getting destroyed at least once a month was a bad idea. So I moved out of the state. And before anyone says that takes a lot of money...no it doesn't. I have moved across the country 3 times on very little. Once as a family of four. its easy if you try.

And you might be a better person than many of those people in New Orleans, but that was no excuse for what happened to them.

LOL Inflation isn't that bad. $5 million in the seventies is NOT 30 to 50 million dollars today. If it was my $1000 I got on my birthday in savings bonds would be helping me retire today.

Pssst.. TOM. Be nice. Just because someone says that there is always a choice, it doesn't mean they think themselves better than others. And to imply that Funny regards herself as a better person than some impoverished people she doesn't even know is just mean spirited. Okie? Be nice.

And you might be a better person than many of those people in New Orleans, but that was no excuse for what happened to them.

I have NEVER exclaimed or even thought for a second I was BETTER than anyone. I think I have made better choices. But never do I look at myself as a better person than someone else. Maybe you need to focus that statement on yourself.

As for what happened to them...that whole state knew those levies would break some day. why do you think the areas around the levies were poorer districts? Because it is not prime real estate being that it would be destroyed some day. What I have a hard time with is the need for the people that stayed, when they were told to leave, and even offered help to leave, to then say that others need to help them due to their actions. No. I don't buy into that type of thinking. You do something expressly against what you are warned about, and you pay the consequences. sorry. the only butts i wipe now are my kids. and that is stopping as we speak. everyone needs to take care of themselves. the only time I lend a hand is when someone truly deserves it, and in those cases I am the most honest and compassionate person you could ever meet. I helped with cleanup after many hurricanes. We even had a family live with us a number of years ago when a hurricane hit melbourne cause in their trying to leave their car broke down and they got stuck. Do for yourself. When the world still kicks your ass at that point, I am the first one to step up and give you a hand. But if you can't get your butt off the couch an don't want to at least make an effort, why should i waste my time? there are people a lot more deserving.

Thank you for your compassion.

Last year the big news story was Katrina knocking down the levies in New Orleans.

This year the big news story may be Ernesto knocking down the levies of Lake Okeechobee.

To those members that are not familiar with Lake Okeechobee. It is that diamond shaped hole on a map in South Florida. Many lives can be saved if they evacuate, but many homes will be destroyed and the people, by and large, do not have flood insurance, so many will be ruined financially for life.

My daughter who is a nurse volunteered after Katrina to help out. She never saw such devastation in her life. She worked the 9th ward and couldn't believe the people left stranded by our Government. They also waited for buses that never arrived. I thought by now that was common knowledge. People who were poor; had no insurance and no way to get it; and no cars to get out. She will never forget what she experienced. You can never be prepared for anything like that type of flooding, and flood insurance costs a small fortune these people didn't have. We truly got to see America's poorest families and how they were mistreated. I personally will never forget it.

T.O.M. my heart goes out to you...I mean that truly.

Ok I just have to laugh. Donald Trump is a brilliant money maker. He did not put $5 million away, and that is why he is worth as much as he is toay. He invested his money. He went bankrupt a few times, and still worked it. He worked hard and deserves every penny he has. He has his name on tons of property, games, even bottled Water. the man knows how to make money. That is why he is wealthy. Not because someone gave him $5 mil. He lost that initial investment amount years ago.