Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Orleans in Danger again

T.O.M. Boy, you had me on the edge of my seat. Sounds like you've seen and experienced a lot yourself. One thing I can say for sure, I don't have what it takes to go through all of that. I can't imagine those with the PTSD handle the additional stress. The season is upon us, right? My heart goes out to anyone suffering like that.

Thank you for your compassion.

Last year the big news story was Katrina knocking down the levies in New Orleans.

This year the big news story may be Ernesto knocking down the levies of Lake Okeechobee.

To those members that are not familiar with Lake Okeechobee. It is that diamond shaped hole on a map in South Florida. Many lives can be saved if they evacuate, but many homes will be destroyed and the people, by and large, do not have flood insurance, so many will be ruined financially for life.

Come on TOM. Alarmist much? its going to barely be a cat 1 when it comes over. And it is going to shoot across faster than a day. This is going to be a typical storm. look at the updates. It will barely have time to gain hurricane status before it hits land. then you know as well as I that it will peter out. It is not going to destroy the levies and flood out thousands of people. why do you have to be so dooms dayish. isn'tit better to think about happy things? like the beautiful things hurricanes can do for the sea life, and for cleaning up our swamps. This is going to mainly hit aligator alley. That area needs to be cleaned out and the wild life and nature will be boosted from this natural disruption. the coral reefs are going to flourish from something like this, and a stronger storm might knock out the red tide that we have been dealing with all this time.

Those three storms you lived through were not the only ones to ever hit florida. yeah, it was hard for those in the middle of the state. No one gets hit there strongly. Guess all those that smirk about being safe in orlando were wrong. LOL anyone who lives in florida should expect to be hit at least once a year. its a fact of life. if it causes PTSS, then they should move. it would be horrible to have to live in fear all the time. why do that?

You are right, I'll go back to Brooklyn and take my chance with the street crime and snow.

Nah, I'll try California with the gang violence and earthquakes.

Or maybe the plains states with their tornadoes and drug problems.

I hope you are right and no one dies or suffers catastrophic damage. I hope we don't have to see more New Orleans, Mississippi destruction type stories, either.

But you can't run and you can't hide, so I am sorry if you think that I am being alarmist by letting people know what might happen.

I will be more than happy to tell you, "You were right" if Ernesto makes a sharp right hand turn as soon as it leaves Cuba.

I wonder how many people died in Cuba, the Dominican Republic and Haiti?

I am Thankful, I am thankful... I have heat, lots of it 120 degress some days. Its hot, cloudless days, but Im thanksful, Heat wont fall from the sky and well up to destroy my home, it wont pile up in front of my door and hold me hostage, It wont shake me out of bed at night .. Im thankful for the heat Viva Las Vegas

I just got back from filling my car with gas. I filled the truck and my gas cans yesterday. The lines are about 30 minutes long and the station I went to only had Premium. Premium, contrary to popular opinion is not good for a car that requires regular, not only not good, but actually bad for a car that requires regular. An x-coworker of mine was using Premium in his Camry from the time he bought it new. One day, it would not start and he had it towed into Toyota. The mechanic who fixed it said, "It looks like you have been using Premium". Toyota repaired the car under warrantee, but told him that next time, they will charge for the repair because it says in the owners manual to use 87 octane unleaded. One tank of Premium will not do any damage to me car nor will the extra 20 cents per gallon break my piggy-bank.

More important than that, there was almost a fist-fight today at the gas station when someone jumped the line. It wound up with people pulling the person who had waited properly away from the one who had jumped to the front. Why is it that the good always suffer for the bad?

I wonder how many people will be hurt even if the storm misses us completely?

I started this thread out of a feeling of compassion for the people of New Orleans. I had no idea that it might impact me.

I have live thru a couple of hurricanes. A couple of tropical storms and a couple of really bad summer thunderstorms.

Im not un-compasionate, and I dont think Funny is either. But I will agree, if its not a 3 or over, its rain.

I am more freaked out by bad summer thunderstorms than a heavily forcasted hurricane. It has to do with the fact that I am prepared for the hurricane and not for the thunderstorm. And it was a bad thunderstorm that caused my place to be flooded and i lost every picture i took in college. (and some clothes and other replaceable crap, but am still to this day, pissed about the pictures)

When I look at the damage wrought by nature, I greive for the unreplaceable memories people have lost, not the fact that the house was damaged.

If they had insurance, the house and contents will be replaced. And as long as they dont have State Farm, (see CNN) they will be replaced.

it is a love it or leave it situation. what is hard is when an entire state does the right thing, but a few stay behind, and don't heed warnings, then want to complain about how bad they have it after the storm. You didn't have to stay, and you shoulda gotten insurance. so tired of that crap.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Couldn't have said it better myself!
Sure you could have said it better. You could have quoted Barbara Bush,

"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas," Barbara Bush said in an interview on Monday with the radio program "Marketplace." "Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality."

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them."

Those three storms you lived through were not the only ones to ever hit florida. yeah, it was hard for those in the middle of the state. No one gets hit there strongly. Guess all those that smirk about being safe in orlando were wrong. LOL anyone who lives in florida should expect to be hit at least once a year. its a fact of life. if it causes PTSS, then they should move. it would be horrible to have to live in fear all the time. why do that?

You sure are good FunnyDuddies! Another great post! :clap2:

Guess it's like anything else..."love it or leave it!"

Sure you could have said it better. You could have quoted Barbara Bush,

"What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas," Barbara Bush said in an interview on Monday with the radio program "Marketplace." "Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality."

"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway," she said, "so this is working very well for them."

Sorry, I'll pass on quoting a Bush, thanks for the info!

"Love it or Leave it". Are those today's words of compassion?

I know many people in the Lake Okeechobee area for example who have very little more than their home and have worked their whole lives for meager wages.

Their homes are not worth enough to sell and buy elsewhere without taking a substantial financial hit. These are hard-working Americans who's only problem is low wages and high wind speeds.

it is a love it or leave it situation. what is hard is when an entire state does the right thing, but a few stay behind, and don't heed warnings, then want to complain about how bad they have it after the storm. You didn't have to stay, and you shoulda gotten insurance. so tired of that crap.

Many of those people were Americans who work, but didn't have the financial resourses to leave. Many did not have cars. Many did not have enough money for Gas to make a round trip to any safe haven. Many live paycheck to paycheck and did not have the ability to evacuate.

Maybe people like that are not worth being kept alive. If you can't succeed in America, you must be worthless. Maybe Darwin is right, only the strongest should survive.

No. I don't buy that!!

I just got back from filling my car with gas. I filled the truck and my gas cans yesterday. The lines are about 30 minutes long and the station I went to only had Premium. Premium, contrary to popular opinion is not good for a car that requires regular, not only not good, but actually bad for a car that requires regular. An x-coworker of mine was using Premium in his Camry from the time he bought it new. One day, it would not start and he had it towed into Toyota. The mechanic who fixed it said, "It looks like you have been using Premium". Toyota repaired the car under warrantee, but told him that next time, they will charge for the repair because it says in the owners manual to use 87 octane unleaded. One tank of Premium will not do any damage to me car nor will the extra 20 cents per gallon break my piggy-bank.

More important than that, there was almost a fist-fight today at the gas station when someone jumped the line. It wound up with people pulling the person who had waited properly away from the one who had jumped to the front. Why is it that the good always suffer for the bad?

I wonder how many people will be hurt even if the storm misses us completely?

I started this thread out of a feeling of compassion for the people of New Orleans. I had no idea that it might impact me.

LOL TOM where do you live? I have never seen anything like the things you are talking about. I must be in the "nice to people" part of florida. which is saying a lot cause i live in tampa. not too many nice people here. LOL

Last year there was a storm that came through. Not a hurricane. Just a storm. It was a doozy!! LOL My mother was flying in from Washington and it was raining so hard and so much they shut the airport down. She was reroute to jacksonville and had to drive down to tampa. the raining started at about 8:30 am and ended around 5pm, and in that amount of time we got a record 18 inches of rain in one day. it was amazing!! I saw nothing but kindness and people helping other people. there was no real destruction, because we are all prepared for the bad summer storms, and the houses are build to handle it. all the Water was gone the next day.

Storms are storms. And florida gets a lot of them. Our houses are built to withstand them, and the streets are designed to deal with the flooding. The only time i have heard of anything happening like that you are taling about TOMis when the oil line broke and we had the major gas shortage. Maybe you should find another gas station. Cause that one seems fishy.

"Love it or Leave it". Are those today's words of compassion?

I know many people in the Lake Okeechobee area for example who have very little more than their home and have worked their whole lives for meager wages.

Their homes are not worth enough to sell and buy elsewhere without taking a substantial financial hit. These are hard-working Americans who's only problem is low wages and high wind speeds.

Many of those people were Americans who work, but didn't have the financial resourses to leave. Many did not have cars. Many did not have enough money for Gas to make a round trip to any safe haven. Many live paycheck to paycheck and did not have the ability to evacuate.

Maybe people like that are not worth being kept alive. If you can't succeed in America, you must be worthless. Maybe Darwin is right, only the strongest should survive.

No. I don't buy that!!

Come on! Do you seriously think I am sitting here saying these people should just die? Are you serious? Do you think I am stupid?

There are always ways to get out. Trust me. And you know what....if they can't afford to live there, and can't afford to deal with the storms and such then they should move! Why is that wrong to say? I am compasionate to a fault. But what you are spouting is not compassion. It is a "I must do for others who refuse to do for themselves".

I don't buy that.