Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Starting (Part 2)

I posted yesterday and got no replies, so maybe a bit more information was needed for feedback?

So many feelings

For the first time in my life, I'm considering weight loss surgery.

I guess it started when I was reading a fellow RVers blog and she talked about having the procedure done. I found it mildly interesting, but just left it in the back of my mind to simmer.

For the last couple of years, I find myself becoming more and more depressed about my weight. Things that used to work just don't any more. Low carb seems to work for a while, usually about 15 pounds, but then nothing. I know exercise would help, but truthfully, I find it hard to even do the day to day things that need to be done. My body is just too huge. My back hurts, my hips, knees, everything seems to be in pain. Did I ever have a time when my body didn't feel like a huge ball of hurt? If so, I don't remember it.

I feel like my fat is an external thing I carry with me, like a huge medicine ball that I can't put down. I have to literally pick my stomach up to wash, my arms actually make flapping noises when I lower them too quickly. I feel like I look old and washed up and generally feel hopeless.

We went to the Doctor the other day about my hip pain, and I found myself asking her (a wonderful Doctor, she's probably 5 foot three and 100 pounds) if she thought I was a candidate for weight loss surgery. To her credit, we love her, she's just what you would want for your general practitioner. While she has mentioned my weight, she has never harped, nor blown off my many bodily complaints to my weight (as other Doctors have in the past). I find it interesting that all sizes of people have back pain, but if you're fat, that's what many attribute it to, never looking past the weight. It makes you feel like a non person, like you're being viewed as a large pile of fat rather than a person. But that isn't her.

So after my question, she looked at me and said yes, you are definitely a candidate, and I will be happy to refer you.

The spark was lit.

We next went down to the educational office to ask about classes. The first step through Kaiser is to attend a "Weight Loss Surgery Overview", and we will be attending that tomorrow morning (June 12, 2012).

Now I find I have 1000s of questions running through my mind. I've been glued to the computer, reading everything I can find (and there are thousands of entries) and I have so many mixed feelings . . .

One thing I know, even if I lose all the weight I'd like to (I'm currently 255-260, 5 foot 4) I'll still be restricted in many ways due to loose skin. Ideally I'd like to be down to 140, but truthfully, if I could just reach 200 again I'd be thrilled.

I know if I just ate the way they tell you to after surgery, I would see the same results, so the question comes up, why even bother? I think for me, it's the commitment.

So that's my story. I'd love to hear from others, particularly anyone who has dealt with Kaiser in Santa Clara, I'm just curious about the whole process.

Kate

Thanks for sharing why you're doing this. This is going to be the best decision of our lives, I'm certain about it. I've already lost 20 pounds pre-op in the past 2 weeks (my surgery is July 2nd) - trying to jumpstart my surgery success. I'm excited to see where I am in a year . Doing it all by myself just isn't a reality though cause I love food too much and will eventually fall off the train. Surgery is really the only thing I think that will help me reach my goal.

Good luck in your process, let me know if there's anything I can do for ya!

Hi Kate,

I am glad you are making this decision for yourself. I too was tired of feeling sick and tired all the time. I too thought why couldnt I just eat that way wls patients do but I realized I needed the extra help to get there. I am 4 months out ( last Saturday) and I am down 68 lbs, 53 since surgery and I feel amazing. I really only have a bit of loose skin so far, under the arms and a bit on the inner thighs. Good luck with the beginning of your journey...you wont be disappointed.

Good luck to you too Patrick!

I posted yesterday and got no replies, so maybe a bit more information was needed for feedback?

So many feelings

For the first time in my life, I'm considering weight loss surgery.

I guess it started when I was reading a fellow RVers blog and she talked about having the procedure done. I found it mildly interesting, but just left it in the back of my mind to simmer.

For the last couple of years, I find myself becoming more and more depressed about my weight. Things that used to work just don't any more. Low carb seems to work for a while, usually about 15 pounds, but then nothing. I know exercise would help, but truthfully, I find it hard to even do the day to day things that need to be done. My body is just too huge. My back hurts, my hips, knees, everything seems to be in pain. Did I ever have a time when my body didn't feel like a huge ball of hurt? If so, I don't remember it.

I feel like my fat is an external thing I carry with me, like a huge medicine ball that I can't put down. I have to literally pick my stomach up to wash, my arms actually make flapping noises when I lower them too quickly. I feel like I look old and washed up and generally feel hopeless.

We went to the Doctor the other day about my hip pain, and I found myself asking her (a wonderful Doctor, she's probably 5 foot three and 100 pounds) if she thought I was a candidate for weight loss surgery. To her credit, we love her, she's just what you would want for your general practitioner. While she has mentioned my weight, she has never harped, nor blown off my many bodily complaints to my weight (as other Doctors have in the past). I find it interesting that all sizes of people have back pain, but if you're fat, that's what many attribute it to, never looking past the weight. It makes you feel like a non person, like you're being viewed as a large pile of fat rather than a person. But that isn't her.

So after my question, she looked at me and said yes, you are definitely a candidate, and I will be happy to refer you.

The spark was lit.

We next went down to the educational office to ask about classes. The first step through Kaiser is to attend a "Weight Loss Surgery Overview", and we will be attending that tomorrow morning (June 12, 2012).

Now I find I have 1000s of questions running through my mind. I've been glued to the computer, reading everything I can find (and there are thousands of entries) and I have so many mixed feelings . . .

One thing I know, even if I lose all the weight I'd like to (I'm currently 255-260, 5 foot 4) I'll still be restricted in many ways due to loose skin. Ideally I'd like to be down to 140, but truthfully, if I could just reach 200 again I'd be thrilled.

I know if I just ate the way they tell you to after surgery, I would see the same results, so the question comes up, why even bother? I think for me, it's the commitment.

So that's my story. I'd love to hear from others, particularly anyone who has dealt with Kaiser in Santa Clara, I'm just curious about the whole process.

Kate

You are on the right track with reading all you can. Google stuff, watch you tube videos, read on here as much as you can. There are gobs of information you can take in. On this site, there is an FAQ post that you should look into as well. I too, would like to get to 140, but would be thrilled forever if I got below 200 again! I KNOW we can reach our goal!! It's a long road and a lot of work, but this time....you will get results for your efforts. Not to be discouraging, but realistic: If you tried to eat like this without the surgery?? You'd kill someone before the day is out. At least I would, that's for sure. I think it's a decision you will be happy about. A little scary to think about at first, but it's awesome!

In regard to your comment about eating the way you would after surgery, you would lose the weight.

Really, I think all of us can lose some weight, maybe not all, but we can. The question is maintenance. The sleeve is a tool that will allow you to eat this way and not suffer. I don't see how anyone could eat the way we will after surgery without (or diet pills, but that is another story and not a healthy one.)

Read around this site, their are people that are much better at putting things in writing than I am. They can explain why this is NOT the easy way out. There is nothing easy about this. Except, maybe the decision to do it in the first place.

Good luck with your journey, read around this forum and whatever else you can. Use the search function on this site, most questions have been asked before, but I find the community here is so giving that if you ask it again, someone will always take the time to answer you.

Hi Kate and welcome to the forum! I wanted to give you some of my experience on why I am having the Gastric Sleeve surgery.

Kate, I completely understand where you are coming from on this part. I know what what it's like to be really fat. I was over 400 pounds in high school and except for my childhood before puberty and a year long period in 1999, I have always been grossly fat. And depressed. And in pain. And suffering from a lack of wanting to do anything active at all! The other thing I dealt with was embarrassment. Walking into a restaurant was never a fun thing for me as I was constantly stared at. Buying clothing was never fun either. Believe me, I understand where you're coming from. A lot of people here will as well.

How do you feel you will be restricted due to loose skin? I know that loose skin will be something to be dealt with, and I will have to deal with it as well. What I am planning on doing is to do a lot of toning exercises as well as working on building muscle. Also, compression clothing will help with loose skin. I know of one gentleman on this forum who does distance running and he recommends wearing compression clothing. My wife, who is one month post-op is beginning to deal with some loose skin, but the compression clothing is working for her. Personally, when (not if) I lose the current weight I have and reach my goal weight of 180, I will be thrilled to be dealing with loose skin. Even if I have to pay for further surgery to take care of that, the loss of the excess weight holding me down will have been worth it. (Just FYI, I started at 365 at 6'1" and currently am down to 341.8)

This is a really good question and one that I asked myself just two days ago when my Father-in-Law and I were discussing my weight loss so far. He was telling me that after losing 24 pounds so far without surgery, why do the surgery?! My answer to him, and to you is this: out of the times I have used diet and exercise to lose weight, I have always failed in the long term. Sure, I have success now, but what happens when I trip up and eat the way I shouldn't. Or any number of reasons why I gain the weight back plus more? Having the surgery is a tool. Remember that. It's not a cure all but a tool to use in order that a person can make a permanent lifestyle change for the better! That is how I view this upcoming surgery. I will still have to work at it, and I will have ups and downs, BUT, I will be forced to maintain proper portions and proper caloric intake and proper nutrition and this is something that I will be able to pass on to my daughters so that they, God willing, will never have to go through what I did growing up!

That's why I am choosing to have the surgery. I am committed to living a healthy lifestyle for me first, then my family. Faith has a lot to do with it as well, but that's another subject entirely.

Eric

Hi Cholula,

I am in the pre surgery stuff myself. Hope to do it in oct. Here's an outlune of what i have done, although not in your state or your ins co...might give you an idea of how it might be:

Feb 2012: called for seminar appt

-- large packet mailed to me, took part of it to my PCP who had to fill out info

Apr 9: 3 hr seminar...turned in packet

Must be current on Pap, mammo...went to those appts in april

Apr 16: history and physical with PA at wls office

Apr 17: psychiatric eval, as required

April 25: 3 hr seminar about nutrition

Placed on balanced eating plan...basically like ww or something..fruit, veg , prot dairy etc each meal. Must fill out food log

May 4: gallbladder ultrasound to see if i have stones. If yes the surgeon removes gb during wls. Mjne was ok. Whew

June 6: one on one appt with nutritionist. Turn in food log. She decides how many more times she needs to see you. I go back once more, first part july....and again turn in a food log :(

June 22: colonoscopy, again a requirement from my wl surgeon

So that's where i'm at. I had no idea it was this involved! But glad everything is knocked out except colon!!!

I imagine after my next and final nut appt, they will set an appt with'the surgeon, who will then set surg date.

Hope this helps!!! Best of luck to you! We can DO THIS!!!

Yes...YOU ALL CAN DO THIS!!!!!!