Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From what I have read, Dr Kelly uses no drain.. does anyone have an opinion about This? Where does the Fluid go if you dont have a drain? I heard that it is alot less painful without the drain but is it ok to drian inside your body? This is probably more of a medical question..

Dr Kelly does use drains sometimes. It really depends on how surgery goes and whether or not he feels it is necessary. People are scared of them but you really shouldn't be!

I've wondered this myself. My doctor never mentioned a drain, and until I joined this forum I did not realize it was an option for some. I can say I had a pretty easy hospital stay with no complications. Just one large incision and four small ones that I can barely see now, all closed shut with glue. Came home the day after surgery, able to take in a Protein Shake and Water 6 hours after surgery. Did not have to go back to have anything removed at all, just regular follow up visits.

I had a drain and it wasn't painful - just a little odd. I didn't have much drainage so it was removed before I left the hospital 2 days after my sleeve. Normally my Dr leaves it in for a week.

I am trying to decide which DR to use.. Im down to Garcia and Kelly.. the only difference is see is the drain.. they both seem to have good reviews and at one time worked together.. all good things come to an end sometimes.. but that smy delemma. My friend had hers done in january and really likes Garcia.. I just cant get over the no drain thing with Kelly.. I guess if he uses it sometimes.. thats good, maybe personal preference?

It depends on the doctor & many times even on the patient. I didn't have a drain & know others with my surgeon who didn't either, but then I just met someone who did have a drain & has the same surgeon. Hers was a band-sleeve revision & she did mention her surgery took longer because of scar tissue from the band before, but I really don't know if that had anything to do with the drain or not. I feel my recovery was fine without a drain.

I'm probably wrong but I thought that was how one of the leak tests were done too. U drink the blue dye stuff and if it comes out in the drain there is a leak. One is done while Ur under, one is with the dye and one is with the barium/x ray. I'm cool with having one, especially if it's for that reason

The drain is how I got my post-op (8 days) leak test before it was removed. My doctor almost always uses a drain. I've never heard of a patient he didn't use a drain for, but there may be 1 or 2.

It really depends on what I said above. The drain would not be a guaranteed identifier of a leak anyway. So it's dependent on your doctor, your size, how surgery goes, etc. some doctors put drains in all, some put them in only when necessary.

My doc said he does them for all of his patients because it can be a first sign of a leak rather than getting horrible sick and procrastinating on calling or going to the doc. I asked for a whole bunch in case one doesn't work. haha

thanks for all the helpful hints.. im new to this site and really like the fact that I can ask anything and get an answer :)

I have had abdominal surgery three different times and I have never had a drain. I had no problems. I would have totally freaked out if they had of given me a drain with my vsg. I hate it that when I have my panni and boob job they will probably make me have them. It will be such an inconvenience!

I had a drain and didn't even feel it. Actually, I think I was 2 days postop when I discovered I did. The nurse pulled this little Fluid filled bulb out of the pocket of my hospital gown and I asked what it was. And, that is how I found out about it. It didn't hurt while in me. Others said it didn't hurt coming out, but mine hurt big time. I was never do glad to have it out.

thanks for all the helpful hints.. im new to this site and really like the fact that I can ask anything and get an answer :)

Yup. Best site and support ever!

I did not have a drain. For the leak test they made me drink that barium stuff then immediately lie down on the X-ray table. That was not comfortable.