Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

African American Sleevers & Hair Loss

For those with relaxers. Does anyone have a plan for Hair loss? I started taking Biotin today but I need a plan. Does anyone have any tips? Weaves, wigs, pieces. Tell me what you did or recommend?

hair loss is going to happen....its just part of having surgery, and losing alot of weight really fast.....you can alot have hair lost from not taking your Vitamins and minerals like you should...

As far as wigs, weaves and stuff....I got kinky twists back in May so I can get used to wearing them again (haven't had them in 3 years) and I plan to get them redone and wear kinky twists for this first year (if I have alot fall out I dont want to see it, Amber (my stylist) can see it, not me, LOL)

As to what you want to wear it all depends on what you like and how much loss you have....when I got my lapband I had very little loss...so it really depends

I wouldn't recommend getting your hair relaxed for a good while after the surgery....I had a friend who did that after she had to have emergency histeretomy (yeah and she's 33) and she ended up with a blad spot in the top of her head....it because the chemicals in the relaxers are so strong, and your hair is already weak, it can only take so much....I finally talked her into going natural (like me :) )

The Biotin is good to take so your new hair grows in strong....but I dont think it will prevent your hair falling out, IMO...

I am not African American but my children are bi-racial. I use a lot of great products and just tried Dr. Miracle and it is great. My daughter has hair breakage and issues with dry hair. They have a treatment and growth product that also helps.

I wouldn't recommend getting your hair relaxed for a good while after the surgery....I had a friend who did that after she had to have emergency histeretomy (yeah and she's 33) and she ended up with a blad spot in the top of her head....it because the chemicals in the relaxers are so strong, and your hair is already weak, it can only take so much....I finally talked her into going natural (like me :) )

The Biotin is good to take so your new hair grows in strong....but I dont think it will prevent your hair falling out, IMO...

Thanks PEvette. Then I will have to get a weave otherwise my hair will not look right. I am all for the natural thing on others but not for me. I know this is the thing right now but relaxed just works for my busy lifestyle. I was natural several years ago and it was way too much maintenance. I am afraid to get braids less my hair fall out even more. I hope someone replies who has had this problem.

I am not African American but my children are bi-racial. I use a lot of great products and just tried Dr. Miracle and it is great. My daughter has hair breakage and issues with dry hair. They have a treatment and growth product that also helps.

Thanks BigKim, I'll have to try that. My hair is also very dry.

I'm natural but I would recommend staying away from heat and chemicals for a while. I had super thick hair and it's falling out even with me taking extra good care of it. I couldn't imagine the relaxers damage. Maybe try braiding/weaves/wigs for the time being? It might not be ideal but u can take better care of ur tresses while they're in protective styles.

Ok let me speak on this, if you know their is potential Hair loss usually braids are not good because it puts too much tension on the hair and when you take braids out your hair comes out a lot. You can for a while let your perm grow out but you can get a sew in, in the same way that you wear your hair now. I would not recommend glue because it does damage if not taken out properly. Not Much a wig will do just make sure you take care of your hair up under it. I hope this helps.

I'm still in the pre-op phase, but I'm a little concerned about Hair loss too. I'm not really into maintaining my hair, mainly because I'm an OR nurse and I have to wear a hat at work. Another reason is that my hair is long, and it's just too easy to put it in a pony tail everyday. Anyway, I was wondering if taking supplements before hand actually helps any? I don't want to add any extra pills to my everyday regimen, because I hate talking the ones I have to take already (i.e. blood pressure and diabetes). Side note: My friend had weight loss surgery, lost a significant amount of hair, and when it grew back, it was a better grade. We laugh about it all the time.

Ok let me speak on this' date=' if you know their is potential hair loss usually braids are not good because it puts too much tension on the hair and when you take braids out your hair comes out a lot. You can for a while let your perm grow out but you can get a sew in, in the same way that you wear your hair now. I would not recommend glue because it does damage if not taken out properly. Not Much a wig will do just make sure you take care of your hair up under it. I hope this helps.[/quote']

Thanks, then braids are out definitely. A sew in weave usually entails braiding the hair under. Do you think this will cause tension? This sound like my option or a hair cut. What did you do?

I'm still in the pre-op phase' date=' but I'm a little concerned about hair loss too. I'm not really into maintaining my hair, mainly because I'm an OR nurse and I have to wear a hat at work. Another reason is that my hair is long, and it's just too easy to put it in a pony tail everyday. Anyway, I was wondering if taking supplements before hand actually helps any? I don't want to add any extra pills to my everyday regimen, because I hate talking the ones I have to take already (i.e. blood pressure and diabetes). Side note: My friend had weight loss surgery, lost a significant amount of hair, and when it grew back, it was a better grade. We laugh about it all the time.[/quote']

Ready4success what did your friend do while she was losing hair. Relaxer, natural, weave, etc?

I'm 3 months out not sure when hair starts to fall out. I have really thick hair and wear it in locks I wonder if I will notice it. I would recommend maybe doing a sew in. That way your hair can be free from chemicals for awhile. Best of both worlds

Ready4success what did your friend do while she was losing hair. Relaxer, natural, weave, etc?

She eventually got braids, but it was long after the Hair loss stopped. We work in the OR, so we cover our hair at work. On the weekends, she just dealt with it.

Usually when you go to get your hair braided these places braid your hair really tight which is why often time women can sometimes lose their hair around the edges. When you get a sew in it is a basic cornrow and you can inform the whether it is too tight or not. Either way take the Biotin and look for products for Hair loss, you are not going to go bald and not every person will be the same you may not lose hair at all. I use to do hair just keep your hair conditioned and try not to apply a lot of tension when you see your hair is growing thicker then I would continue relaxing.

I'm 3 months out not sure when hair starts to fall out. I have really thick hair and wear it in locks I wonder if I will notice it. I would recommend maybe doing a sew in. That way your hair can be free from chemicals for awhile. Best of both worlds

Thanks Andi0120. This is what I will do. Hair is important.