Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Comression Stockings After Surgery

I tried to do a search but could not find much. My doctor said that after surgery I had to wear compression stockings for 4 weeks. She said they go from mid-thigh to just below your heal (though I may wear them just to my ankles - I cant see how the few inches will make a difference). I understand that she wants me to wear them to prevent blood clots, but I have not read about anyone else having to wear them? Anyone else have to wear them? Looks like I will be wearing pants or maxi dresses for 4 weeks!

I am still pre-op, but I can say that I have read a couple of people having had to do this and also seen it on a few youtube videos.

The hospital will give them to you. Long ago Macys offered a few selections.

I did not have to wear them that long, but I had to in the hospital (2 nights). They also asked me to wear them "on and off" for a couple weeks after. So I would wear them around the house. They didn't bother me. I'm not sure why you need them for four weeks though. Better safe than sorry though. Maybe ask your doctor to explain why?

I would have loved stockings! I had a compression machine that I had to wrap each of my legs in at the hospital and at home for 12 days. If I wasn't up moving, I had to be hooked up.

But I didn't develop any clots so I won't complain too much! :)

I worry that they won't have any to fit my fat legs. Is this a leggit concern??

I worry that they won't have any to fit my fat legs. Is this a leggit concern??

NO. They make them for bariatric patients as well! They will be slightly tight, but that is how they are supposed to be!

personally I want them. I am going to mx and have not seen anyone say they were even them, I will either bring some with me or ask if they have any I can Have, I will be on a 7 hour flight home and that worries me

I guess I will head to the medical supply store this week. Not looking forward to wearing them in July but this is what the Dr. wants.

The ones I have to get go from mid-thigh to just above the toe. I hate the feeling of stepping on fabric (I have long pants that I have to roll up) plus i think they would get dirty. Do you think if I cut them right at the ankle it would be okay? I cant imagine that there would be a huge difference between ankle length and "open toe?"

I had to wear them for ten days. Though I was told never to go over the knee so they were below the knee socks. I understand they can't be cut at ankle as they need to ensure circulation around the ankle and foot as well as lower leg. I wore socks over mine so they didn't get too dirty.

Hand wash and dry naturally. Do not tumble dry! To put on, i recommend using a plastic bag over the foot and then they go on easy, you then remove the bag through the open toe.

I did end up finding some at a medical supply store. They measured me and let me try on a few pair. The ones i ended up getting are the open toe (need to be able to wear my flip-flops!) , and are sheer (better than the think fabric ones which i suspect would be hot). They look like nylon stockings only a bit thicker. Only 25 dollars. Thanks for all the advise. I will not cut them and will wear socks when possible to help keep them clean.

I did end up finding some at a medical supply store. They measured me and let me try on a few pair. The ones i ended up getting are the open toe (need to be able to wear my flip-flops!) ' date=' and are sheer (better than the think fabric ones which i suspect would be hot). They look like nylon stockings only a bit thicker. Only 25 dollars. Thanks for all the advise. I will not cut them and will wear socks when possible to help keep them clean.[/quote']

Just throw them in the wash if they get dirty. I wash mine all the time.

I am still pre-op, but I can say that I have read a couple of people having had to do this and also seen it on a few youtube videos.

I saw you had on your signature "home dealing with the pain"

No offense but I was so glad to see that. I only see how wonderful it has been. I have been in unimaginable pain since Ive been home. It will be one week tomorrow that I had the sleeve done. I just told my husband, Im about to have a mental breakdown if I don't get something that tastes good soon! Everything stinks or tastes horrible. I opened a can of minced potatoes and added milk, salt and pepper. Used a real bow, not a 2 oz medicine cup and a real metal spoon - not the plastic ones Ive been using because I go through so many of them!

It was good. I paid for it for about 15 minutes of esophagus spasms and burning. Not sure if that means Im not ready for it or not. So sick of liquids. Im not hungry just ready for a NORMAL day. My doctor didn't say anything about compression stockings. I go back to him tomorrow and hopefully take out this painful drain. I sneezed earlier and swear the entire 60,000 town heard me scream. :(

Did you come home with a drain and if so, what are you doing for the pain and back pain??