Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 Days Post And Haven't Felt Restriction

I just tire of eating or drinking. Ive not cheated, but can take in Water and cream of x Soups easily. I don't feel hunger, but I've also not felt full, tight, or restricted at any time. Normal?

I think it's very normal. I only started feeling restriction when I started having thicker things, like ricotta and refried black Beans. Other things go down just fine. I'm almost 4 weeks out. My surgeon has a slow progression of food, so I just tried that thicker stuff this week. I can eat a whole can of creamy Soup without a problem (although it does take a long time), but can only have 1/2 cup to 1 cup of thicker things & they normally take 30-45 minutes to eat them (or more).

Doesn't liquid volume equal the same as food volume? I mean, in terms of how many ounces you can eat at a given time. Is it that the liquid processes quicker than food does?

One thing I I figured out so far through this process is, there is no normal. It seems to be very different for us all. Although when I have something come up, I still get on here and ask that question too, it's good to have this outlet so we don't feel so alone.

For me I always feel full so I'm having a hard time eating enough, but I keep working at it. I do have what I call head hunger, where I can imagine food, taste, smell, the experience, but so far nothing seems appeal when it gets to my mouth or stomach.

If you can't tell if you are full, just be conscious of how much you are eating, so you don't harm yourself while your sleeve is healing. I hope you find the balance that works for you and a healthy recovery.

Creamy, liquidy stuff tends to flow on through faster, and you don't really feel restriction. Now....when you eat a few bites of tuna out of the can....WHOA BABY, you WILL feel restriction!!! (of course you must wait for that;) ) As you progress your diet, you will start feeling the restriction.

I agree with Dooter! Like you, I never felt restriction, and I worried about it... obsessively! But the first foods I tried that were a little more substantial (mashed avocado) had me quickly understanding my limits! And pureed tuna was something I couldn't handle much of AT ALL! liquids go through much faster, and that's one of the reasons that you're not supposed to drink during and after meals.. the liquids push foods on through and you lose that 'full' feeling (you will feel it, I promise) quicker.

It was normal for me, everyone is different. I didnt feel a real restriction till I started solids, they I really did!

Good information to know considering I'm on liquids for the next two weeks and 4 days.

Thanks everyone!

Doesn't liquid volume equal the same as food volume? I mean, in terms of how many ounces you can eat at a given time. Is it that the liquid processes quicker than food does?

The actual volume is the same, but how much you can handle is completely different. I can drink about 8 ounces of something in less than 30 minutes depending on what it is and I'm not "full" at all, but I am satisfied. However, I can only eat about 4 ounces of thicker things (I'm still on pureed foods now) in 30 minutes and they keep me full for at least a couple hours. As I add in more solid foods, I'm finding out how different the capacity is for different things. There is definitely a different capacity for liquids. It might just be that they flush out of the stomach sooner, but it is definitely a different feeling. It's hard to describe & realize until you actually go through it.

Wow this is great to know. I swear I learn more from you guys than I do my md and nut! Lol