Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is There A Relationship Between Preop And Recovery Rate?

Hi all! I've been reading various posts from just-sleeved people. Some say they had relatively no pain after surgery, while others had quite a LOT. I always wonder what sort of preop diet the people followed who had a lot of pain. So for those of you who've been sleeved, can you answer a few questions?

1. Did you follow a pre-op diet?
  2. If so, what/how long was it?
  3. On a scale of "no-pain at all" to "just shoot me", how would you rate your recovery process after surgery?

Thanks!

I only had a 3 day pre-op diet with Clear Liquids only.

I had no pain at all after surgery & still no problems!

I did two weeks of Atkins induction with clear liquids the day before surgery - surgeon says my liver was so tiny they hardly had to move it :) I had minimal surgery pain, I did have the gas pains in the shoulders and a bit of nausea the first night, but it was not too bad at all.

The pain was really not bad at all - lots of days in the hospital I didnt even use my pain meds. The drinking/bathroom issues with a new sleeve I found much more challenging.

Personally, I don't think it has anything to do with pre-op diets. I think it is more due to other things, although I'm not really sure what. I know I was really prepared for surgery as far as knowledge. I actually expected to be in more pain than I was. The Bariatric Coordinator at my hospital said he thinks women who have had kids or other surgeries and those who are a little older have an easier time than others. There was a lady in her early 20s who had surgery the week before me & complained a lot about pain. I'm almost 37 and have 2 kids. I don't really know if that made the difference or not, but that's what he said his experience has been with various patients.

I did have a 2-week pre-op diet that was limited to 650 calories with at least 70 g Protein, less than 60 g carbs & around 15 g fat.

I had much less pain than I thought I would have. It was about an 8 in Recovery, but by the time I was in my room it stayed around a 1-2 with or without pain medicine.

I did a three-week pre-op diet (two high-Protein shakes, one Protein Bar, and one "sensible meal").

I wouldn't say I had a pain-free experience, but I was expecting so much worse. I was a bit sore in the beginning, but I had zero gas pain (none!) and--considering my size--my recovery process has been way easier than I expected.

I will also note that my surgery went really well. I had a revision from band to sleeve, which we expected to take about three hours. My doc finished my surgery in an hour and a half and said it went really smoothly.

• Did you follow a pre-op diet? Yes. I was on a 1300 calorie a day pre-op diet eating high Protein and low carb foods.
  • If so, what/how long was it? I began my self-prescribed diet on October 18, 2011 until I had surgery on March 21, 2012. I did not have to do the pre-op liquid diet -- my doctor just told me to continue doing what I was doing since I had lost nearly 50 lbs. I know many people use My Fitness Pal, but I discovered FatSecret.com before learning about My Fitness Pal. I used FatSecret.com to log my foods either on my computer or on my phone. I contribute much of my success to daily log-ins of my food, liquids and exercise.
  • On a scale of "no-pain at all" to "just shoot me", how would you rate your recovery process after surgery? I was on the "no/relatively low pain" end of the scale. On a scale of 1-10, mine at it's worst was a 3. I rarely used the pain meds in the one-night I was in the hospital and only used it a couple times over the next two days at home. Now, with this being said, around week three I developed a pain near my incision that the stomach was removed from. I think I overdid cleaning out my closet, however I have also learned that many develop this pain/stitch around week 2-3 as the organs are reestablishing themselves in the body. I had odd feelings when I laid on my side to sleep as it felt like my insides where shifting so I used my tummy-pillow during week one and then weeks three-four.

1. Did you follow a pre-op diet?

Yes.

2. If so, what/how long was it?

Mine was three weeks of nothing but full liquids which included Protein shakes and and Clear Liquids like broth.

3. On a scale of "no-pain at all" to "just shoot me", how would you rate your recovery process after surgery?

Hardly any pain at all. I had no morphine or anything else after the one dose I got in the recovery room. The only discomfort I had was the gas and that was quickly walked off. The day I got home I was walking and going places. Two weeks later I was horseback riding. Surgeon gave me the okay for any type of exercise.

I don't think there is much correlation between pre-op diets and recovery. IMHO, factors are:

1. Your own genetics and pain threshold (I had two c-sections and a myomectomy. Both recoveries were fast).

2. Your basic physical fitness and endurance.

3. Your ability to get fluids in and keep them down (At first I constantly chewed ice chips. After that I was continuously sipping)

4. Your ability to walk, walk, walk, walk, walk .... (I did so many laps around my floor that I thought I was going to wear a path. Strangely, I knew there were gastric bypass patients on the floor, but I never saw them. Heard them though :unsure:

5. Your attitude. (I hate being invalided. I hate being helpless. I had 3 weeks of vacation courtesy of this operation and I wasn't spending them on my back.)

@Catracks, 3 weeks of nothing but liquids??? You're my hero, cuz I am struggling to do 2 weeks. :unsure:

@Catracks, 3 weeks of nothing but liquids? ?? You're my hero, cuz I am struggling to do 2 weeks. :unsure:

I cheated :lol:

Okay, don't fall off the wagon. In the middle of my pre-op diet was New Year's eve. Every year I cook a prime rib roast. The nutritionist said I could take the day off, but to not overdo it. I didn't.

I pretty much lived on the egg flour hot & sour Soup that comes in a little packet. You scramble 1 egg in it. I'd have one cup in the morning and one in the evening with all the Protein shakes.

I did 9 days of liquids/Protein shakes. I started out with moderate pain but it was noticeably better each day. Also, I took no pain medications. I was given Vicodin but I didn't feel the pain was bad enough to warrant it. Pain can be managed. It really only hurts if you move a certain way. If you feel too much pain, just rest for a while. As I said, it gets better each day.

No preop required but the 24 hours before nothing but water... As far as pain goes I was about 8.5 in recovery BUT...i also had a hiTal hernia repaired at the same time. Walk walk walk helped alot.

Below in blue.

Hi all! I've been reading various posts from just-sleeved people. Some say they had relatively no pain after surgery, while others had quite a LOT. I always wonder what sort of preop diet the people followed who had a lot of pain. So for those of you who've been sleeved, can you answer a few questions?

1. Did you follow a pre-op diet? 2 days SF liquids only.
  2. If so, what/how long was it? 2 days SF liquids only.
  3. On a scale of "no-pain at all" to "just shoot me", how would you rate your recovery process after surgery? Generally a 2, maybe 3. This time was a bit different because I was given a pain med that doesn't really do much for me. Similar surgeries I would not have rated my pain above a 3 at any point.

Thanks!

No pre-op diet for me besides 24 hour fast the day before.

Pain was not bad for me at all. I had morphine the day of surgery, and vicodin the 2nd and 3rd day. I would say my pain never got above a 7, but at a 7 I did take a dose of medicine so I could focus on getting fluids in and not on the pain.

I took a bottle of liquid vicodin home and have 95% of it left.

I agree I think it has most to do with physical condition, genetics and prior experience. Never had surgery before but I did give birth twice so my pain tolerance has grown lol.

Not bad at all, never above a 7? Holy crap you have a high pain tolerance. (For reference to OP a 7 is borderline "cannot do most activities because the pain is too great".)

*I* have a pain tolerance, and will still start asking for something around a 5 (unable to do some activities due to pain).

Seriously if I hit a 7 I would be demaning Dilaudid. :) (I would probably rate my labor a 7!)

Seriously if I hit a 7 I would be demaning Dilaudid. :) (I would probably rate my labor a 7!)

I had dilaudid when i had my gallbladder removed. Mmmm, good stuff... :wub:

Oh did I type that out loud...sorry. :o