Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Btw the cost that I paid was 12 k.

Keep looking for the right doctor. Dr. Nusbaum in NJ performed my surgery. My BMI was 79.3, I weighed 448lbs, I didn't have to do a Pre-Op diet or lose weight before my surgery.

Good Luck to you. If you want the information for my doctor let me know. I am 3 weeks post op and down to 420.

I had my surgery on may 17th with Dr. Alvarez.. He put me on a one month pre op liquid diet starting 4-17 till surgery.. I'm not sure what my exact bmi was but I was 5' 7" and weighed 420. My day of surgery I weighed 365.. I lost 55 lbs on his pre op diet in one month.. Surgery went very well... He had no problem doing mine as long as I agreed to hold my end up with was his diet.. Here we are 3 weeks post op and down to 335...

Hello! I'm scheduled for surgery in late August of this year' date=' and I just sent in my heath questionnaire. I'm going to Mexico, and in doing research and contacting different places, one of them told me that by BMI was too high to have surgery.

Um, what?

Now I'm afraid that that once this place sees my forms, they will tell me the same thing. I'm hoping that if that is the case, since I have a couple of months, maybe they will let my try to lose some weight first.

See, I can lose weight if I work really really really hard at at, but the problem is keeping it off. And if I think about eating, I will gain 5 pounds. Seriously, it just happened, right now. :)

I will be crushed if I can't get this done. I've struggled with my weight my entire life, and I can't keep going on like this. This is not living. It's gotten to the point where I can't walk very far without being out of breath and my back hurting. I'm tired of being stared at by strangers, and being laughed at by them. I'm tired of worrying if I'll be able to fit in the seating wherever it is that I'm going. I don't want to just be pretty eyes, or nice lips.

This sounds so silly, but besides looking good and being healthy, I want to run. Just run for a mile, or two miles, and feel that stitch in my side and my lungs and heart pumping, wind whipping my hair.

I'm huge, I know this. I don't want to be this way anymore. If I could lose weight with diet and exercise, um, yeah, I would be doing that.

*sigh* Thanks for reading. I'll update once I know something.[/quote']

Good Luck to you Beanzilla!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Keep looking for the right doctor. Dr. Nusbaum in NJ performed my surgery. My BMI was 79.3' date=' I weighed 448lbs, I didn't have to do a Pre-Op diet or lose weight before my surgery.

Good Luck to you. If you want the information for my doctor let me know. I am 3 weeks post op and down to 420.[/quote']

Wow awesome congrats on your loss, I'm 652, preop, doing a self imposed diet I lost 15 since memorial day, am excited for july 2nd. It's nice to see others with high bmis rocking it.

I had my surgery on may 17th with Dr. Alvarez.. He put me on a one month pre op liquid diet starting 4-17 till surgery.. I'm not sure what my exact bmi was but I was 5' 7" and weighed 420. My day of surgery I weighed 365.. I lost 55 lbs on his pre op diet in one month.. Surgery went very well... He had no problem doing mine as long as I agreed to hold my end up with was his diet.. Here we are 3 weeks post op and down to 335...

Wow awesome success story, I'm trying to do something similar ie drop about 50 in a month via mostly liquid and low carb sort, so far 15 in 10 days.

Hang in there Beanzilla, I tottaly feel your pain about not being able to get around and having to worry about fitting in chairs. Whne My family looks at me they think im happy but a photo will show the pain I hold in. I already get looks because of all my tattoos but it's a different look when it has to do with your weight. I was always around 350 for about 14 years and then I got injured and in two years I managed to get to 550.

This is the first time I really have seen guys with High BMI's like myself. I started at 539 and im down to 515. My surgeon here in the Bay area said I need to get under 500 because of hospital policy or he would not be able to do surgery on me.

I've worked with two bariatric surgeons who imposed weight limits, 500 and 600, respectively. I've never heard of anyone imposing a weight limit below that. Regardless, the more weight you lose before surgery makes the surgery safer for you. Less risk with anesthesia and wound healing. Good luck to you.

If you dont mind me asking, what is your current weight? I'm 657, & my doctor will and has operated on patients upto 800 lbs.

I've got a personal goal to get to 600 by surgery in july 2nd. I'm on 1000 calorie protien diet mostly liquid. I think to be successful we need to really educate our selves and be sure we can commit to the post op lifestyle.

I would recommend doing all you can on your own cause the more you lose preop the better and safer your surgery will be.

My doctor is dr brown in dayton ohio. Self pay is about 19k, the hospital will bill you and make payment arrangements, especially if you are low income.

Anyhow, good luck and I really hope things work out for you. I've been needing this for 4 years now but now is the only time I could really afford it and then only because I have family helping..

I know how distressing it is to wait and to get your hopes dashed when financing doesn't work ou2 or something.

Best luck to you!

You know I just heart you Patrick! I was going to suggest this individual to find you!!

You know I just heart you Patrick! I was going to suggest this individual to find you!!

Shh I'm married lol. Glad I could be of service.

Hang in there Beanzilla, I tottaly feel your pain about not being able to get around and having to worry about fitting in chairs. Whne My family looks at me they think im happy but a photo will show the pain I hold in. I already get looks because of all my tattoos but it's a different look when it has to do with your weight. I was always around 350 for about 14 years and then I got injured and in two years I managed to get to 550.

This is the first time I really have seen guys with High BMI's like myself. I started at 539 and im down to 515. My surgeon here in the Bay area said I need to get under 500 because of hospital policy or he would not be able to do surgery on me.

I'm covered in tattoos too, and I always know the difference in stares. Recently, I went to my husband's synogague with him (he's Jewish, I'm not), and I was getting rude stares from some of the younger people, so I was self-concious all night. Then, at the end of services, I was sitting outside waiting for my husband to finish some business he had to take care of, and a bunch of little old ladies kept coming up to me telling me how much they love my tattoos. They looked at me like I was a person, instead of some monster, like the other people did.

I saw you've already gotten your surgery date, Beanzilla, but I thought I'd share my experience as well. At my largest, my BMI was 61. I was referred to a specific doctor by my aunt. One of his patient reps told me I'd have to lose 70-80 pounds before he would do the surgery. I was crushed. My doctor "doesn't like" to operate on a BMI>50 due to added risks and complications. I decided to see another surgeon, who I ended up loving. She told me she had no limits on BMI and had operated on patients with BMIs in the 70's. However, I was self-pay and she was $6k more.

I decided to start the process with the first doctor and get some more information before giving up. He told me I would have to lose 40 lbs before they'd even schedule my surgery and 70 by the time I had surgery. It seemed daunting considering my track record of never having lost more than 20. However, being self-pay and the fact that my insurance would not even cover any complications due to surgery, I decided it was best to continue with this doctor. They put me on adipex (diet pill) and I worked with a dietician on a low carb/high Protein diet. It was the best thing for me!!! I know timing is an issue but I was lucky because I'm a teacher and started this in January with the intent of surgery in the summer. I'm 7 days post-op now and lost 65 pounds prior to surgery and dropped my BMI by 10! (The dr only held me to the 40 pounds. There were no consequences for not hitting 70.) I think I'm more proud of that weight loss than I will be anything post-op. lol I can't imagine going straight from my old habits into a surgery 1-2 months later and not having to change much prior. I was freaked out that I couldn't do it because I've been severely obese my entire life. I was pissed at the doctor for making me lose the weight but it allowed me to gain a ton of confidence going into this process.

I'm sure you know more weight means more risks but the doctors are the experts. Just try to stick with the pre-op diet as best as possible. I had to do 4 weeks as well, even though I had already lost 45 at that point.

I'm glad everything worked out in the end... good luck!

Dr. Aceves is a God send!!! I truly will tell you he is thourough and capable...I was 354 at surgery date! noe 4 mos. later am down 93#....Dr. Aceves is in Mexicali,,,he and his staff are exceptional and the hospital clean

I saw you've already gotten your surgery date, Beanzilla, but I thought I'd share my experience as well. At my largest, my BMI was 61. I was referred to a specific doctor by my aunt. One of his patient reps told me I'd have to lose 70-80 pounds before he would do the surgery. I was crushed. My doctor "doesn't like" to operate on a BMI>50 due to added risks and complications. I decided to see another surgeon, who I ended up loving. She told me she had no limits on BMI and had operated on patients with BMIs in the 70's. However, I was self-pay and she was $6k more.

I decided to start the process with the first doctor and get some more information before giving up. He told me I would have to lose 40 lbs before they'd even schedule my surgery and 70 by the time I had surgery. It seemed daunting considering my track record of never having lost more than 20. However, being self-pay and the fact that my insurance would not even cover any complications due to surgery, I decided it was best to continue with this doctor. They put me on adipex (diet pill) and I worked with a dietician on a low carb/high Protein diet. It was the best thing for me!!! I know timing is an issue but I was lucky because I'm a teacher and started this in January with the intent of surgery in the summer. I'm 7 days post-op now and lost 65 pounds prior to surgery and dropped my BMI by 10! (The dr only held me to the 40 pounds. There were no consequences for not hitting 70.) I think I'm more proud of that weight loss than I will be anything post-op. lol I can't imagine going straight from my old habits into a surgery 1-2 months later and not having to change much prior. I was freaked out that I couldn't do it because I've been severely obese my entire life. I was pissed at the doctor for making me lose the weight but it allowed me to gain a ton of confidence going into this process.

I'm sure you know more weight means more risks but the doctors are the experts. Just try to stick with the pre-op diet as best as possible. I had to do 4 weeks as well, even though I had already lost 45 at that point.

I'm glad everything worked out in the end... good luck!

Thank you!

I started easing in my pre-op diet a couple weeks ago. At first I replaced Breakfast with a Protein shake, and now 2 meals are replaced by a Protein Shake. Some days I follow the diet fully, but not all. Once I actually have to follow the diet, I know I will. I have to. I haven't weighed myself, but I feel better already, and my skin has cleared up some. Luckily the Protein shakes are filling, and maybe this is psychological, but I haven't been wanting to eat as much, and I haven't been wanting to eat the bad stuff I used to.

Hello! I'm scheduled for surgery in late August of this year, and I just sent in my heath questionnaire. I'm going to Mexico, and in doing research and contacting different places, one of them told me that by BMI was too high to have surgery.

Um, what?

Now I'm afraid that that once this place sees my forms, they will tell me the same thing. I'm hoping that if that is the case, since I have a couple of months, maybe they will let my try to lose some weight first.

See, I can lose weight if I work really really really hard at at, but the problem is keeping it off. And if I think about eating, I will gain 5 pounds. Seriously, it just happened, right now. :)

I will be crushed if I can't get this done. I've struggled with my weight my entire life, and I can't keep going on like this. This is not living. It's gotten to the point where I can't walk very far without being out of breath and my back hurting. I'm tired of being stared at by strangers, and being laughed at by them. I'm tired of worrying if I'll be able to fit in the seating wherever it is that I'm going. I don't want to just be pretty eyes, or nice lips.

This sounds so silly, but besides looking good and being healthy, I want to run. Just run for a mile, or two miles, and feel that stitch in my side and my lungs and heart pumping, wind whipping my hair.

I'm huge, I know this. I don't want to be this way anymore. If I could lose weight with diet and exercise, um, yeah, I would be doing that.

*sigh* Thanks for reading. I'll update once I know something.

There are doctors that will deny you if your BMI is too high. Dr Garcia wants you to be at a BMI at 55 or lower before he will work on you. Reason being is that having a high BMI causes fatty liver and the liver actually lays over the stomach that increases the chance of knicking the liver during surgery.

Definitely don't choose a doctor because he will take you with a high BMI....ask them their reasoning and if they accept you...make sure to ask how many high BMI patients have they operated on with success.

Hope this helps. My BMI was 64 when I started my diet and now it is 58.2. My doctor is going to do surgery as long as I do a three week full liquid diet and I am on my 6th day of that.