Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Did All Your Pre Op Appointments Take?

Hey everyone! I'm new here. I went to a seminiar for my surgeon back in Appril and I have my initial consult with my surgeon on the 18th, very excited to get the ball rolling! I wanted to just get a general idea here- because I know every surgeon is different and It's all I'm sure taken us different lengths of time to go through things- but on average, how long did it take you from time of your initial consult to have surgery? I know if a 6 month diet is involved it will be longer, and waiting for insurance approval can be a long annoying process, but I'm interested in seeing how long it took for everyone and get an 'average' going. I've seen the amount of time vary greatly over a lot of what I've read and I'm just curious.

Can't wait to get all my pre op stuff started! :)

I am pee op. started with the seminar in early May. Did all 3 appts (Doctor, nut and psych) on May 17. Ran to my pcp to get paperwork and blood done. I have been seeing him regularly so he already had a six month history. Today I got approved by GHI for a August 20 date. I think I got lucky with the speed. Just be on top of you insurance requirements and become very friendly with the ins coordinator. Good luck.

Saw my surgeon for the initial appointment. It then took me nearly a month to get in to the psychologist. After that I got my surgery date (which was a month later) and the rest of my pre-op appointments (pre-op testing, IVC filter placement, pre-surgery education) happened in the next couple of weeks.

I had my first appointment with the surgeon on April 7th. My surgery date is June 14th. I get the impression that my process is NOT THE NORM!! Having a very supportive PCP who went to bat for me to move things along helped a LOT!!

Wow super speedy for you guys that's awesome! I have my fingers crossed for a similiar time frame, but I'll just be happy to have it at this point- I just get super antsy once I get my mind set on something I want it NOW lol.

For my wife who is Post-op it took her about two and a half months from start to finish. For me (I'm pre-op with a June 19th date) it took me two and a half months as well, and that included the seminar, two sleep studies, a VO2 max test, EGD, Session with the shrink, the NUT and the consult with my surgeon.

I had my first appointment with the surgeon on April 7th. My surgery date is June 14th. I get the impression that my process is NOT THE NORM!! Having a very supportive PCP who went to bat for me to move things along helped a LOT!!

My first appt./consult with the surgeon was on April 19th. The next week I had my psych eval., nutrition class, and did my blood work. My EGD is scheduled for June 14th and my surgery is June 27th. Would be sooner but my surgeon was booked. I was surprised how fast it all went!

The thing that put a hault on me getting my surgery sooner were the appointments and my surgeon changing hospitals.

I started my whole process in Feburary of 2011, I had to wait over a month and a half to get in for my sleep study, then when they found out I had sleep apnea I had to

have another test which took me about a month to get in for that, my insurance only covered so many places so I had to wait it out (who figured they many people were getting test) And then my surgeon was transfering from one hospital to another so I had to wait a few months for that, luckily I was able to have it done in November, my insurance ended the next month so I just made it lol.

So my best advice for anyone is to get everything done asap, you never know what bumps in the road you will face, some people can have theirs a month later, others years, it all just depends.

Good luck with everything :)

I attended a mandatory seminar in march, had my nut eval, psych eval and surgeon consult all on April 24th. Was approved by insurance ( for the second time-- long story) last week. I could have scheduled my surgery this week had I wanted to but I decided on July because I had a break from classes and I was considering my coworkers ( not leaving them short staffed).