Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking while eating poll

How often do you drink with your meals?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you drink with your meals?

• I ALWAYS drink with my meals.
    • I SOMETIMES drink with my meals.
    • I RARELY drink with my meals.
    • I NEVER drink with my meals.

Never-- that's one of the biggies according to my doc. I thought I'd really struggle with this one because I was a BIG drinker at meals, but I've gotten used to it. The band is a tool and I really want to work with it to make it as effective as it can be. Washing food through my pouch won't accomplish that.

I have learned not to drink with meals. Sometimes it is difficult but I'm doing pretty well with that rule. I have to remember to get plenty of fluids in when its not mealtime!

I accidentally drank right prior to a meal as I was really thirsty; I forgot about it until I took a few bites and all of a sudden I could feel a welling in my throat and thank goodness I made it to the ladies room in the restuarant. I learned a valuable lesson with that for my system anyway:thumbs_down:

I've been taking sips during the meal but I'm sure after my 3rd fill I will not be able to do this any longer without suffering for it. My surgeon insists it will wash the food down too quickly, leaving you hungry for more shortly after.

i never drink during meals - i wait at least an hour after before drinking (dr recommends 30 mins). if i were to drink during, even sips, food wouldn't go down (i'm pretty tight, i think, either that or there's a problem :thumbup: )

but i DO drink before meals, i don't think it's been a problem. dr recommends i shouldn't because food can get through the band more easily but i haven't noticed that was the case.

getting used to all this has been a crazy ride. especially no sodas. i see a can and want one but nope. none. i can't.

I usually take small sips during my meals, I know I shouldn't but I just can't eat and not drink SOMETHING. As long as I take small sips it's usually not a problem. There are times where I slip up and accidentally take too large of a sip though and everything just comes right up. I was banded on 6/24/09 and am now a little over 70 lbs down, shooting for 100-120. So far so good. I still have to get a better hang of eating the right things and keeping my portion sizes down though because I still end up throwing up more than I should.

Edited by atlambros83

Wow this is kind of split all over the board. I put rarely. I'll take alittle sip here and there but that is about it. I however am not all that good at waiting the whole hour after a meal. I am working on that.

I use to go to a restaurant and get one or two refills of soda. Now I get Water and when I'm ready to leave there may be 1/4 of a cup missing from huge glass. I take tiny sips like someone else said just to keep the food moist so it doesn't get stuck. There are many times that I find I dont even take the sips.

I never thought I could eat w/o drinking but after a few weeks of being at home and simply NOT bringing a glass to the table you will be surprised how you learn to live w/o it.

This has been something i have been struggling with.. My doctor doesnt want me to drink during meals, but I told him at my first post op visit i am having problems with this... I am drinking maybe a 1cup of Water with meals.. That is down a Tons since my surgery..

My dr said it is better not to drink while eating, but if you try it (sips) and don't have a problem, then its OK. The main thing is to listen to your body. What works today might not tomorrow.

Does wine with the meal count as drinking??

I do not drink anything else but do actually like a glass of wine

It's only day 5 for me, but I think it's really hard, maybe the hardest thing so far for me.

Does wine with the meal count as drinking??

I do not drink anything else but do actually like a glass of wine

I find sipping red wine during a meal actually helps me digest better. Drinking Water during/after a meal is usually disastrous for me.

My doc said having a cocktail up to 10 min prior to dinner can help relax the esophagus. I'm all for that!

I have learned that there is no blanket rule for everyone, as each person's reactions are so different. And just when you think you have learned what works for you - it changes!

For about the first 6 mos of being banded, I followed the NO DRINKING rule to the letter. Then, I had several rounds with urinary tract infections -- that I had never had prior to banding. Now I try to drink a full bottle of Water when I wake up, before I eat, and a full drink 30 minutes before I eat. However, I am a teacher and now that school is back in session, it is very hard for me to get my water in during the day, so I find myself drinking a little with meals. Our lunch times are very short (20 mins) and I don't often have time to even finish my lunch.