Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wondering why so many go to Mexico for banding?

Before throwing stones why don't you call the Bariatric Center at Nashville and ask who the primary lapbanding surgeon is there. I'm sure you will find it is Dr. Melvin. It takes a lot to qualify a dr. and a hospital as a center of excellence, and he is one of the best.

Dr. Morton does not do his banding at Vanderbilt...kind of think you are off the beaten track. If I recall he is in Knoxville.

Before knocking the fact I wouldn't go to Mexico, why not ask Penni your MOD why she would never go to Mexico again for lap banding. It is easy for you to come down on a fellow bandster but no one bashes her for her decision not to go to Mexico.

I would have taken a mortgage on my home and still come to Tennessee if it came down to it......or I would have simply put it aside.

You need to get some facts straight yourself, expecially about where Dr. Morton performs surgery....because it isn't in Nashville.

Have a nice day.,

You misunderstood my post

First off, I don't know who Dr. Melvin is. I live and work in Nashville and I'm in the Medical Field. I just find it odd that I've never heard of him, especially if he is as good a doctor as you say he is. I've spoken to so many people in this area about the band and his name has never come up. Not throwing stones, just stating that I find it odd that I've never heard of him.

Secondly, Dr. Morton IS in Nashville at Southern Hills Medical Center. So I think you have your *facts* a little confused. Maybe you're thinking of Dr. Colquitt?

Where did I say that Dr. Morton did surgeries at Vandy?

I'm not knocking anyone for having surgery in Mexico or for having problems with their band. If you call telling you that your *facts* are misconstrued, then I guess I'm knocking you.

Penni, Lisa and others have had a bad experience with the same Mexican surgeon. It doesn't mean that everyone that goes to Mexico is going to have problems. It's very possible that I could lose my band, it's very possible that you could lose your band. Why in the world would I "knock" anyone for having problems with their band? I don't care if they got their band in the U.S., Mexico or India, if they lost their band, I feel very badly for them because it's something that I never want to have to go through, but I'm also realistic in knowing that it's a possibility for all of us.

I'm not "knocking" the fact that you would't go to Mexico for surgery. I told you that I respect the fact that you would be scared to death to go there for surgery. I'm "knockin" your so called facts about the Mexican surgeons. I'm trying to tell you that those of us that actually did go to Mexico for surgery (more than likely) did a lot more research about Mexico and the surgeons there than you did. I think when you state that the things you are saying are facts and not backing it up is frustrating for a lot of us to read. You just come off as bashing Mexico and the surgeons for no substantiated reason (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)

So take a deep breath and if you have a fact to post, please post the source or link to back it up to help us all, otherwise it's just your opinion.

Gracias!

Just because Penni had a bad experience with specific surgeon does not mean one should assume every other surgeon in the entire country of Mexico is bad. I feel for anyone who has had a complication. But let's face it, if someone in Oregon said "oh my doctor is the worst". Would you say "Well screw Oregon, I will NEVER go there for surgery!" And that is just a state, Mexico is a huge country! Of course there are unskilled surgeons with shady ethics. You'll find that right here in the US too.

I researched for literally hundreds of hours. The level of expertise and care from the top doctors in Mexico is very compelling. If you have to pay out of pocket you want the very best care your money can buy. For me, that means Mexico -- A surgeon with 10 times the experience and happy patients and at nearly half the price than my local doc.

I'm finished with this discussion. When it comes to the fight between Mexican dr's. versus American dr's. find someone else to fight with...better yet ask Penni why she would never go to Mexico again and all that happened to her...it's all here on the board.

End of discussion...from now on you are talking to yourselves.

Ladies and gentlemen this is what you call a psychic vampire. You are quite disrespectful to be attacking Penni and she hasn't posted a response on this topic. Dodi take the money that you saved by having medicare pay for your surgery and get some therapy because you appear to be a very angry mean spirited person.

Patti

The one thing I can't understand Dody (sorry for going off T) is why you were eating, even mushy foods one week after surgery? didn't your doc instruct you to stay on fluilds for at least 2 weeks?

Back to topic.. I adore Dr. Sanchez! he has taken very good care of me and we speak over the phone when ever I feel the need, If I ever have a problem, he'll be there for me.

so please don't tell me there aren't some major problems with people banded in Mexico.....talk to Penni why don't you?
There are problems with bandsters all over the place not just the mexican bandsters, even in europe and here in the states, don't be blind...hope you find a good fill/follow-up doctor

Hi Vera,

Isn't Dr. Sanchez a complete and utter doll. The first time I met him in preop he came in the room hugged me and gave me a kiss on the cheek. He said, I won't let anything happen to you and I'm going to help you change your life. He is adorable. His wife is banded and I think that is wonderful. I didn't realize you had him too. I was banded with Amy and we just love him too. I love how I called him 2 weeks ago and we talked and talked, just like a best friend. Glad you like him too.

Why is my name being involved in this discussion. I'm no longer banded. LOL!!! :faint:

I vomit at the thought of surgery in Mexico - I've had several, and I wish I could turn back time. It's not the surgeon, it's their low standards. Nurses take bribes, names are spelled wrong, hospitals don't have to follow FDA regulations, records are lost. Then again, I woudn't let some of the morons in this country touch me either. Find a reputable doctor in a reputable country, a combo deal.

Why is my name being involved in this discussion. I'm no longer banded. LOL!!! :faint:

Your experience and Lisa's turned me against Mexico forever, along with the lousy aftercare you have to deal with. I never bashed you in any way Penni and don't appreciate the poster who said I did or who called me a "psychic vampire". I have reported the post and hope to get the same treatment every other poster on here gets, as that was completely uncalled for.

I vomit at the thought of surgery in Mexico - I've had several, and I wish I could turn back time. It's not the surgeon, it's their low standards. Nurses take bribes, names are spelled wrong, hospitals don't have to follow FDA regulations, records are lost. Then again, I woudn't let some of the morons in this country touch me either. Find a reputable doctor in a reputable country, a combo deal.

Let's hope this ends the discussion once and for all. I don't need my Medicare money to buy anything...I earned the Medicare might as well use it. I own a stable of racehorses and any one of them would have more than bought me this surgery anywhere in the U.S. or any country. I chose to fly cross-country to visit family and make a vacation out of it....but money is never an issue with me Thank God. My husband, Bless His Heart, made sure I would never do without, so if you don't know me please keep words like "physic (did you mean psycho) vampire to yourself. I feed off nothing or no one and was merely contributing to a thread. There was absolutely no bashing of Penni or anyone else. Get the facts straight.

I thought I'd stay here Lisa. There aren't many foreign countries I haven't already seen, but the idea seems feasible. I found a great doc right here.

Thanks for the pics. It was my impression that in Mexico many of the Docs were using newer stuff not approved yet by FDA that was better. Its the same for laser surgery as Mexican Docs are not limited to US and often use European Equipment and techniques.

Although Lap Band is new to me my experience in Mexico is that the Doctors are more sensitive to patients and most of the facilities are clean and first rate.

However, its still sort of a crap shoot to determine what is best. I had my Consult August 22nd and am shooting for my procedure in 30 to 60 days.

Still a lot of work to do and I find this Board a big help.

:typing:

To answer the original poster's question:

I began opening my mind to having surgery in Mexico after thoroughly researching Dr. Ortiz's credentials. The fact that he HAS taught many U.S. doctors impressed me, This can be verified through Inamed, the maker of the band approved in the U.S. He taught one if the top lapband doctors here in Vegas. Verifying the list of seminars in which he's taught doctors here in the U.S. will further support this statement. If anyone wants to deem this a myth, I would expect some researchable information to back up that claim. Otherwise, it is an opinion and not valid in a fact-based discussion,

He has done over 3,000 bands which does mean something. It means he has experience with many different situations. If Inamed still uses him to proctor other doctors, that tells me they trust him.

The large number of postitive posts from others who chose to go out of the country for the band was also a contributing factor. Without doubt, every doctor has made a mistake. To deny that fact or to believe that a doctor from another country should be judged more harshly because of those mistakes seems illogical to me.

If you are considering a doctor in Mexico, be aware that you will run into people who have an almost "snobbish" attitude against the idea. To help my own family get over the opinion that I was going to an inferior doctor due to the word "Mexico," I shared the facts about his credentials. Educating people past their prejudices is the only way I could think of to help stop the judgemental attitude when it arose.

I think this bashing states or other countries doctors is ridiculous. Have your surgery where you want it done and be done with it. We are all big people (pardon the pon) and can make our own decisions and then we should deal with them. Just my humble opinion.

I totally agree! :clap2:

Different things are priorities for different ones of us in this decision. Going to Mexico is absolutely the right choice for some, having it done in the US is the right choice for others. There are lots of factors involved, not the least of which is our personalities.