Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just wondering why so many go to Mexico for banding?

Well of course the expense of going to MX depends on where you live. I'm in SoCal, so Dr Otiz' office is just a two hour drive.

Other than that I went to him because I was "only" 228# when I got banded and it would have been tough to find a US surgeon to do it. I got banded within two weeks of deciding to get lapband surgery. No hoops to jump thru was a BIG factor for me.

... and for those who think 228# is low to be banded, I had been 312 five years before and got down to 150. I started to creep back up after foot surgery and would have done ANYTHING stop. I know a lot of people like all the support US surgeons require, but I didn't want or need that.

Everyone has to find their own path on this journey.

That's such a scare tactic!! People have major complications in the US after surgery also. I've had pts die after routine surgery in the US. I'm an RN that had surgery in Mexico by Dr Ortiz and I also have his and his assistants cell phone #'s. I've already spoken to the Dr by cell phone with a question. Next time you talk to a surgeon in the US ask for his cell number and see what the answer is. Each person has to make a decision that they are happy with, I would go to mexico for surgery again in a heartbeat. My surgery was $8500, airfare was $600 r/t. Dr Ortiz also fixed 2 hernias which I didn't know I had, and my surgery was still done in 40 minutes.

Ah I actually do have my doc's cellphone, my mom works in the OR with him :) (thats how I found out about the RN from mexico thing, the docs over at the hospital freaked out when they scoped her so they shipped her to my doc.)

My surgery + personal trainer for a year + pre ops + post ops + psych eval + dietician + food + support groups all for 12,000 here, I consider it one hell of a deal :) and I can write it all off tax wise :)

I consider it one hell of a deal :) and I can write it all off tax wise :)

You can write off the expense of surgery in Mexico (including travel) as long as you have a US doctor's recommendation to get it. My gp just wrote out the order on a prescription pad.

Psych eval and all that is a good deal IF you WANT it. Nothing but aggravation and a waste of your time if you don't.

Ah I actually do have my doc's cellphone, my mom works in the OR with him :) (thats how I found out about the RN from Mexico thing, the docs over at the hospital freaked out when they scoped her so they shipped her to my doc.)

My surgery + personal trainer for a year + pre ops + post ops + psych eval + dietician + food + support groups all for 12,000 here, I consider it one hell of a deal :) and I can write it all off tax wise :)

All medical expenses can be written off tax wise. It sounds a little too much like an urban legend, don't go to Mexico type of situation. I'm a nurse we're skeptical by nature. I always say there are good Drs and bad Drs in the US and in Mexico. (What do you call the the person that graduates last in their med school class? Dr)

Quees are you one of the party girls??:)

MY GIRLFRIEND AND I WERE BANDED LAST THURSDAY BY DR ORTIZ IN TJ Mexico</ST1:p. WE BOTH HAD A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE!!!

<O:p</O:p

MY HUBBY WORKS FOR THE AIRLINES SO I GET FREE AIRFARE BACK TO SAN DIEGO</ST1:p SO GETTING BACK TO TJ ISN’T A PROBLEM

TOTAL COST WITH HOTEL INCLUDED $8,500

I TOOK A FEW PICTURES OF THE OCC CLINIC SO YOU CAN GET THE GENERAL IDEA THIS ISN’T A HORRIBLE PLACE, JUST THE OPPOSITE!!! I DIDN’T GET ANY OF THE VERY SKILLS, CHECK THEIR CREDENTIALS, TWO DRs BUT I DID GET PICTURES OF US AND THE STAFF

I’VE DOWNLOADED THE PICTURES TO A WEBSITE. YOU’RE MORE THEN WELCOME TO TAKE A LOOK. MY USER NAME IS NELSENETC AND THE PASSWORD IS ORTIZ. THEN CLICK ON THE “MY STUFF” TAB

http://community.webshots.com/user/Nelsenetc

(HI THERE JOLIESMOM :) )

MY BMI WAS ALSO 31.7

I WAS 179 WHEN I WENT IN<O:p</O:p

I spent just over $8,000.00 going to Mexico. Half of my airfare was covered, but my DH went with me, so it was a little more expensive. They allowed him to eat with me at the hospital,and stay with me 24 hours a day, they provided our transportation from the airport. The cost covered everything related to my surgery. My surgeon spoke to my primary care Dr. prior to my banding, and had set me up with a local Dr. to do my fills, and aftercare. I am in a rural area, so when I say a local Dr. for fills, he is still 6 hours away. So with that in mind he also made contact with a general surgeon here in our area, and followed up with copies of everything to all Dr.'s. I have spoke with him only twice since my surgery, but his staff has been in touch regularly. Originally every 10 days, now once a month. And like others, the one time I did think I needed to ask him a question, I had him talking to me on the phone within 20 minutes. And at that he apologized for it taking him so long!

I thought long and hard about having the surgery, I tried my insurance, and was denied twice.After researching Dr.'s and talking with prior patients, I made a decision, and I was scheduled within weeks. I did not want to wait for months on end, and attempt to jump through all the hoops my insurance was trying to make me do.

The hospital was as clean or cleaner than most I have seen in the US. I felt the care and compassion I received from the staff to be top notch. I would recommend it to anyone. If my own daughter ever needed the surgery, I would not hesitate to take her.

Good things and bad things happen in all types of surgery done in both Mexico and the USA, as well as other countries. Seems kind of silly to try to dissuade anyone from having the band by bashing the surgeons in Mexico, by lumping them all into one. Down the road from where I live is an American Dr. who is practicing daily, he has been charged with DWI twice, he has even been arrested for sexual penetration of a minor. the AMA revoked his license for 2 years, but he is back. Now to judge all US Dr.'s by the actions of this quack would be as unfair as lumping together all Dr.'s from Mexico due to the actions and bad results of a few. It is everyones responsibility to check out the Dr. they intend on putting in charge of their life. If they are not willing to do that, maybe the surgery is not for them!

Kat

Lol I Am The Party Girl Lol

Take A Little At The Photo's :) Jersey Girl

Wine Is Still Concerned A Clear liquid Isn't It? Hehehe

Please, Clear liquids ha. I called Dr Miranda on post op day 4 to ask about cottage cheese, and she was like noo you can only have it if you can drink it. Suffice it to say wine- yes, Tomato soup- yes, tequila- need it badly. Are you hungry yet? I'm gonna check out your pix.

I respect everyone for their decissions. I am a RN and have seen a 50yr old man die when he was being transported from post op to the floor. He was in perfect health and just had his gall bladder out. So I know it can happen anywhere.

I feel very confident with my choice in Dr's. I am going to Dr. Mckee here in Maine. He and his partner both do it and were the first ones here in Maine to do it starting in 2003. The did not do any wls prior to the lap band even though they were both trained to do lap band. They felt the other surgeries were too risky. When the FDA approved the Lap Band they researched it and took turns going to get trained. I am not sure of the number of bands they have done but I do know it was something like 200 in the first year. They have patients from Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. Every person I know that have had them do the band completly are happy with their choice in Dr.

Thanks everyone for sharing... :confused:

If my only option in the world was to go to Mexico for surgery I wouldn't have it done. I don't care how many lap bands they have done...it just means they have done a lot, it doesn't necessarily mean they are done well. Just an opinion. I've heard of loads of Mexico complications, so try to stay out of the Mexican threads to some extent, but this one is asking a specific question.

I found a great dr. at Vanderbilt University and could'nt be happier with the results and lack of problems I've had. There is always that going to Mexico and finding a fill dr. too. That is difficult for some.

My dr. went to Sweden to learn the banding. Not as many American dr's. have learned from Mexican dr's. as you would like to believe...that is myth.

Whatever floats you boat, but personally I wouldn't go on someone else's dollar, but that's just me.

I believe I've heard Penni, the Mod, say on more than one occasion she wishes she had never gone to Mexico for her band....and no one says a thing to her about it because she is a Mod....me I'll probably catch hell for making this statement....bring it on. It's just an opinion.

Dody, did your insurance pay for your surgery?

It took me a year of jumping through hoops to finally get my surgery through Medicare. I had to leave the state and go somewhere else over 2000 miles away to have the surgery, but the fact is during the course of that year I never once considered Mexico. If it had come down to that I wouldn't have had the surgery, and that is the truth. Medicare requires a Center of Excellence before they will even consider the surgery, and they are not that easy to find. The dr. involved has to be one of the very best at what he does. I was required test after test and never minded for one minute. I could easily from where I lived have been in Mexico in no time, but I also knew I had a lot of medical risks and it simply was not worth it to me, I knew from the beginning I needed a great hospital with cardiac care, so my banding took a long time to come about.

My dr. went to Sweden to learn the banding. Not as many American dr's. have learned from Mexican dr's. as you would like to believe...that is myth.

prove it...

My dr. also learned the banding technique in Sweden. It's kind of sad so many people believe American doctors learned their banding from Mexican doctors, because it just isn't so.

Oops, perhaps I read you wrong and you are merely stating you don't believe American dr's. went to Sweden to learn banding. Um, can you prove without a doubt my dr. went to Mexico? I think not.