Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking about WLS for a few years now. I work out a ton and how found my self on the diet train for far to long. I am going to have my surgery done on June 13th and I would love any advice anyone would have for me. I will be traveling alone to TJ. I am orginally from Southern Cali so I spent many time in TJ when I was under 18, I am not worried about the travel, just waking up and not having anyone there with you.

Well thats all for now:)

Which doctor are you seeing? I was banded by Dr. Jose Rodriguez in TJ in 2010 and really had a great experience. I am going back in August to get my sleeve. :)

why is he not doing your sleeve?

Good for you, I wish you luck and can't wait to follow you as you come over to the loser's bench and ONEDERLAND!!!!

Thank you for welcoming me!

May I ask who was your surgeon I don't know who to pick as my surgeon I want to get my VSG in Cancun because I want to fly in to Cancun. So far I have found

Dr. Perez that dose the surgery in Cancun and dr. sergio verboonen.< /p>

I was stateside. I will let those with the necesary experience offer advice it TJ. However, congradulations on your decision, I hope all goes well, and will safe you a place on The Losers Bench.

thank you all for the Welcomes! I can't wait to see onederland. I am excited and nervous, I cant stop watching youtube videos and it is starting to consume my life, lol. Well if anyone has ant tips on what to bring, what they did to prepare, what pain meds you received and if you really needed them. What questions you forgot to ask after your surgery.

Many thanks to all:)

I had surgery with Dr. Garcia in Tijuana yesterday. It has been a wonderful experience. I would recommend him to anyone.

Hey Seltyl,

I haven't had my sleeve done in Mexico, but I did have my band there. I was suggested to bring a heating pad on that trip and it was the best suggestion given to me! I just bought a cheap one from Walgreen's, but it helped me sleep.

A word of warning about the medication: if you're used to getting opiates like Percocet, Vicodin, even Morphine in the hospital in the US, you won't usually find them at the hospitals in Mexico. I have been told that this time around I can ask for stronger drugs. I was extremely uncomfortable my first night and barely slept. They give you a drug called Torodol or Ketorolaco/Rapix (That is the spanish Drug name and brand name). I kept asking for more in my iv, but it never did much. I had my gallbladder out in the US this past September and I was on Morphine for a bit and sent home with Oxycodone. I am a big wuss and inherited my mother's low pain threshold... ;) I'm hoping that I can have my pain knocked out this time!

When I went the first time, I packed a backpack with all of my things. I am a girly-girl overpacker to the max, but I cut down for that trip and I never once regretted it. (I did of course bring make-up and the day after my surgery I did do my hair and make-up!) You won't want to carry anything big and bulky through the airport (the flight back was miserable!)

Something I didn't bring the first time that I regret is a little blanket from home. I was cold the first night and couldn't get comfortable. I wanted to have something warm and cozy from home with me. Even some fuzzy slippers (I had to wear those support stockings for a while to prevent blood clots).

I know I am practically writing you a book here, but I also mainly brought nice looking, comfy black sweatpants/yoga pants. I also LOVE the camis they sell at costco (don't know your location, but I'm guessing costco is fairly national). They sell them in an XL which is my size and they are really comfy. Built in shelt bra thing too. And I brought some comfy zip up hoodies.

Best of luck to you! Sorry for being so long winded!

Erika

Oh Erika,

Thank you for all of that information, that is what I was looking for! I plan on lots of comfy sun dresses and lots of cute tanks and yoga pants. I am excited and scared, I will make sure to request good pain meds.

Good luck to you on your new journey.