Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Shakes; The Devil's Drink Of Choice.

Ok so maybe that was a bit dramatic BUT at this point, I feel like the devil has a Magic Bullet and 102 canisters of Unjury with my name on it. It seems so many people on the forums have a favorite shake that they love & promote but to others it tastes like barf in a glass. (sorry for the visual) :) haha Here's the thing...Now that I'm off of the liquid phase of the postop diet and onto pureed foods...I can't do Protein Shakes. Every single flavor, additive, texture, blender, and sneaky attempt to hide the flavor has backfired and I've dry heaved. I'm all about sucking it up and doing what needs to be done to get the job done, but I 100% can't tolerate them. I don't want to spend my days sipping and dry heaving for the rest of my life. With all of that said, any vets or people that are a few months along who don't drink Protein supplements/shakes and are able to get in a decent amount of protein through food?

Okay. I felt the same way too. I tried every combo imaginable and I just couldnt stomach them. FINALLY, I found what worked for me. I will share and you can try it if you like. I pour 1 cup of Simply Orange OJ in a tupperware shaker cup. I put in one scoop of Unjury unflavored OR Jarrow unflavored Protein. I shake the **** out of it. I pour it in a kids cup with lid and a straw (like you get with a kids meal at Chili's). I sip it on the way to work. It tastes like regular OJ. You cannot taste the protein. PS. Jarrow is the best because it has no smell either and it mixes smooth and doesnt separate. You can have the Vitamin Shoppe order it for you or you can order it online. its cheaper than unjury too.

The unjury one will separate and the foam will go to the top but if you are drinking from a straw, you wont know it, you just get the good juice. It has been a life saver for me. Hope it helps you. PS dont buy cheap OJ. Only get the really good quality juice. Belive me, its worth it. HTH.

Hi Christina,

I have no issue getting enough Protein with just foods. I agree, 99.9% of the Protein Shakes suck, I only like Muscle Milk lights, I still have them at home if I am in a rush and need one to go. I get my protein from lots of different meats, eggs, yogurt, cheese, milk, fish, Beans, cottage cheese, nuts...I could go on and on. I eat 5-6 times a day so I have no problem getting in enough protein. I will be 4 months out on June 9th. Good luck, just start trying different things, good old trial and error worked for me. I havent had anything not agree with me...yet! Best of luck to you!

I can't hardly drink them either. My husband wanted to kill me cause we bought all those Proteins and I couldn't bare to drink them. Now I drink muscle milk if I struggle with Protein. Mostly now I can get it in my food. Good luck finding one.

Wow, I never had bad flavored or bad experience shakes. I still drink my Muscle Milk once a day at 5 months post op especially after a workout. Now I'd rotate around the different flavors but I still kinda love them. Muscle Milk and the cans of Pure Protein brand are the ones I ever used. I never got into the whole Protein Powder thing. Have you tried these brands? The strawberry Muscle Milk is great!

I completely agree with your assessment of Protein Drinks. I'm not sure if it's acceptable or not but until I go back for my two week post op visit I've been drinking at least one or two cups of low fat chocolate milk. It has 2.5 fat and 8 grams of Protein 160 cal.

I have not had surgery yet but I completely agree with you. I read something somewhere about whey Protein coming from cheese. I have only tried Pure Protein thus far and I dry heaved when I took a drink. All I could think was fake chocolate flavored liquid cheese. Even thinking about it now sent a chill down my back! :mellow: I dont know how I'm going to do this, knowing both pre and post ops require the drinks. I purchased 2 Isopure (the clear ones) today and am crossing my fingers they will taste good.

I am almost 2 months out and have never drank a Protein shake. I tried many of them and everyone's tricks during my pre-op diet and decided I would rather have my hair fall out. :P The smell alone was enough to make me start gagging. No way could I drink that stuff. Since I have been post-op, I have tried about a dozen different Protein Bars, including Quest, and they are all nasty too.

I eat my Protein and sometimes even manage to get my quota. I started on soft food at one week out just for the protein. I eat tuna, crab, fish, cottage cheese, deli cheese, Beans, fajita steak and chicken strips, nuts, eggs, and have recently discovered beef Jerky. The Jack Link's I bought has 15 grams of protein per serving with only 4 carb and hardly no fat. Better than some Protein drinks and actually edible.

Getting your protein in through food only is a challenge, but one I am willing to take on to avoid the devil's drink!

I secret to stomaching them is Silk light. I have been doing the vanilla, but thought heck, I am drinking a chocolate shake right now, lets try the chocolate light.. It is very good. Even all by itself. And it has added Protein. Always a plus.

Cherry, I think the hair is going ot fall out anyway so why worry? :) I am dreading that part myself.

Fluffy, I am with you! I just brought my coworker a $58 box of Isopure variety pack. I tried 3 and just couldn't do it anymore. I do like the Nectars ok and there is one chocolate that is very good. Can't remember the brand name but the name of the flavor is something like "extreme chocolate". I searched for best tasting Protein drink on Amazon I think and that is how I found it. It really is the best I have found. It has the least aftertaste to me.

I can't really stand any of the RTD's but most powdered Protein I can take. I like About Time the best, mainly because they have very few ingredients and aren't overpoweringly sweet. Have you tried the Isopure or Cytosport clear drinks? (I think Cytosport is now called Whey Protein and they're available at the Vitamin Shoppe.) I don't like them full strength but weakened with a bit of Water, they taste pretty good and have a good amount of protein in them. Good luck!