Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would You Do The Gastric Sleeve Again?

Three weeks out and I would do it again, tell anyone I love to do it. Shout from the rooftops. The 29 lbs I am down so far, if that was all I got, I would still do it again.

That is correct - and I have had major surgery before WITHOUT these particular results.

I apologize - I thought OP was looking for a variety of feedback. I know that prior to my own surgery, all I saw was glowing reports of people mowing their lawns with push-mowers at 3 days post op, running in charity runs at 4 weeks post-op, eating a whole Chalupa from Taco Bell at 3 weeks post-op. I felt it was a reasonable expectation to be somewhat "normal" functioning at the one month mark. I wish I would have known and had the opportunity to speak with people who had a less-than-super experience, so that I fully knew what the possible outcomes were. Even though I am a nurse and have some clinical knowledge of what can happen post-surgically, nothing takes the place of talking to someone who has actually been there - it helps you make a more accurate decision.

Kudos to you for speaking out! First of all I am researching VSG and currently have the band. I do NOT want to hear just the happy VSG stories. I want to hear ALL the VSG stories. Only then can I make an INFORMED decision about VSG, so I do give you credit for shareing your experience even though it's not popular to do so.

I know that with the band when I was researching that there were not many speaking up about that. Those that did were attacked, so primarialy all you saw were the "happily ever after" (until it had to be removed!) lap-band stories.

That being said though, recovery can vary from person to person and from the VSG'ers I have spoken with (many) the only problems I'm hearing about after recovery is GERD/Reflux.

Take your time recovering and don't rush things. Keep us updated!

I'd do the sleeve again. I remember talking to a colleague pre-surgery about his neighor who had lost sixty pounds (at that time) from her WLS. I thought to myself "Wow, That's amazing! I'd love it if I could lose sixty pounds, too!" Well, here I am at 9 months post op and I've lost 100+ pounds!

I had to have 3 surgeries total to get my sleeve because of blood clot issues, but I'd have all three surgeries again, and twice on Sunday, in order to be as happy and healthy as I am today. And, I've still got about 60 pounds until I get to goal. :)

Just wondering about the 3 surgeries? I'm assuming one was to install the filter? What else???

Fluffy, I had surgery to install the filter, then my VSG and three weeks later, the filter was removed. My venous doctor did not want to leave a filter in my vena cava for life because he was afraid it would eventually become clogged and kill me all by itself.

Fluffy, I had surgery to install the filter, then my VSG and three weeks later, the filter was removed. My venous doctor did not want to leave a filter in my vena cava for life because he was afraid it would eventually become clogged and kill me all by itself.

Interesting. I have heard about the filters being put in. I just kind of assumed they stayed there. That sucks that you had to have 3 surgeries instead of 1, but as long as everything turned out well that's all that matters. Congrats on your weight loss!

It would have stayed if I had been older, but he assumed, correctly, that I would lose weight and start exercising after surgery, thereby extending my life expectancy. :) I'm glad it went well and thanks for your congrats.

IMO, this is the best thing I've ever done for myself. Bar none.

God, yes!

That is correct - and I have had major surgery before WITHOUT these particular results.

I apologize - I thought OP was looking for a variety of feedback. I know that prior to my own surgery, all I saw was glowing reports of people mowing their lawns with push-mowers at 3 days post op, running in charity runs at 4 weeks post-op, eating a whole Chalupa from Taco Bell at 3 weeks post-op. I felt it was a reasonable expectation to be somewhat "normal" functioning at the one month mark. I wish I would have known and had the opportunity to speak with people who had a less-than-super experience, so that I fully knew what the possible outcomes were. Even though I am a nurse and have some clinical knowledge of what can happen post-surgically, nothing takes the place of talking to someone who has actually been there - it helps you make a more accurate decision.

I'm glad you spoke up, CrazyCatLady. When I said it's major surgery, I meant that it's not for everyone and this is something everyone should consider when thinking about it. If it was easy or perfect, why wouldn't everyone do it? It's not something we can do over, after all. If we set unreasonable expectations at the beginning then there will be more dissatisified VSGers. I only meant to say that everyone's recovery is not the same nor are the results the same. I'd really like to see how you feel in 6 months. I'm hoping you that you will feel differently but that's not to minimize what you are feeling now. I wish you the best.

I would do it 1000 times again. NO REGRETS. Yes, that 1st month is a B!%*#. REALLY, it is. But that is the worst of it, the healing and recovery, being tired and eating baby food. BUT, after that 1st month,it is ALL DOWN HILL! I am going on 6 months PO and will never look back.

Today i am two weeks out. And as of right now, no i wouldn't do it again. It's been a b***h. Maybe in a few weeks I'll change my mind.

I am 19 days out and no. I developed a leak on the day I was discharged. Was back in the hospital eight hours after I was discharged in so much pain I can't even explain it. I spent two weeks total in the hospital. I am 31, no comorbidities. I thought no way would I have complications. I had a second surgery to flush out my abdomen. Woke up with two drain tubes, a ng tube (super uncomfortable) and a feeding tube in my intestines. I was my drs first sleeve leak. My bp was about 60/30 and my heartrate stayed in 30's that first week. I developed pneumonia and a small sac of Fluid around my heart. NO WAY would I have done it again. Dr.described the pain I was feeling to my family like this...imagine sistine cutting open your abdomen and pouring lysol all over your organs. Dilantin didn't touch the pain. Complications can happen to anyone although the chance is small.

Wow - TDH80 - I'm so sorry to hear about your complications. I hope you get to feeling better. its a good reminder that complications can happen and sometimes it's the luck of the draw. My brother had bad complications from an appendectomy and ended up with pnemonia too. My surgery isn't until next Monday, to say I'm scared about the possibility complication is an understatement but I also know the weight isn't going to stay off without my doing something permanent and my hiatal hernia will not heal on its own so I'm not looking at the surgery as something that's elective but something that's neccessary.

I wasnt really worried about complications before surgery. The makers of the staples and something else used for surgery (i believe johnson and johnson or a sub division of them?) had requested to be in the room during my surgery which gave me the confidence that my surgery would be flawless, lol. Theres no going back now although I haven't had any food in my mouth since may 8. Ughhh, it's so hard!!

TDH80 - I hope things get better for you soon!! You really bring home the point that surgery is surgery and complications can happen - none of us are immune. I'm trying to make sure that I'm very prepared not that you can ever be prepared for this.