Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Caloric Intake Is It Too Low

Hey everyone I wanted to know from some of you how many calories you get in a day. Sleeve day was 4/20/12 and I track my calories on fitness pal and it is said that i only get in between 400-550 calories a day.. Should I be eating more and if so about how much?

I try to keep my calories under 600. I was sleeved march 12th. At my last Dr. visit he said that my calorie intake was perfect and keeping it low makes a stall less likely. My weight loss has definitely slowed down, but I think I'm right on track to get to goal by 6 months.

Good luck figuring out what works for you!!

I'm on fitness pal too, what is your user name?

My username is melinda011 if you want to add me

Hey everyone I wanted to know from some of you how many calories you get in a day. Sleeve day was 4/20/12 and I track my calories on fitness pal and it is said that i only get in between 400-550 calories a day.. Should I be eating more and if so about how much?

My caloric intake is the same or less than yours. My nutritionist has said to keep it below 800 and specifically said my intake is fine.

You'll get a lot of different opinions here.

Usually higher calories (not "regular" intakes, but higher within our acceptable range) help people avoid stalls or stall for shorter periods of time. Long story short - your body doesn't freak out as much & is a little less likely to think it's starving. (Our bodies don't understand "diet" - they just know the food has all but stopped and that means trouble).

800 - 1000 seems to be a common goal range.

Right now (sleeved 2 months ago) I average about 650. My nut is not happy with that and wants me closer to 850, and she wants to me to make the increase by upping complex carbs. It's hard, but I'm trying. This is in effort to try and break a stall I've had since about my 3rd week post-op, and I know she's right, so... I'm trying... but it's hard, physically, to eat much more.

ETA: her goals for me to be closer to the 850 range include the fact that I'm fairly active & fairly tall for a female. B/c of this she also wants me getting in about 20 gm more Protein than their standard guidelines. Where am I supposed to fit all this??? :)

I ate around 400 calories a day for months. I eased up to around 600 and stayed there for several more months. I have been eating in the range of 800-900 now for about two months. I think you are on par. Dont TRY to eat more. Just eat until you get comfortably full and stop. If its 400-500 calories, so what. You will be able to eat more eventually, I promise. Take it slow. You will do fine. Remember, Protein first.

Never eat too much, your stomach knows when it's full. Make sure you get your Proteins in and drink a lot of Water. Follow the rules of the sleeve and you will be fine. ;)

We were sleeved the same day!! *High five* lol I'm getting about the same calories as you! It seems we are doing what we should be doing. I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I feel comfortable. I'm actually in a stall right now so I tried eating a little more than usual. I think you're doing great!!

So I am getting between 600 and 750 calories a day ...320 is protine shakes. Are you guys not doing shakes to get such low calories? If not, how are you getting 60+ of prot.?

Hiya Hollie!! I've been getting my Protein through food, but I'm sure I'm not getting enough. I plan on starting shakes soon. I had a lot of problems with acid and nausea and couldn't stomach ANY shake, no matter the brand or flavor. I think I finally have it all under control so I can finally use the Protein Powder that's been collecting dust! lol

So I am getting between 600 and 750 calories a day ...320 is protine shakes. Are you guys not doing shakes to get such low calories? If not, how are you getting 60+ of prot.?

I can get in 60 grams of Protein a day, but I'm eating really Protein rich foods like cottage cheese, greek yogurt and fish. My morning snack is Protein shake made with Crystal Lite Margarita Mix, 1 scoop unjury Unflavored Protein (20 grams), and my Calcium citrate (powder form). I put this in a 24 ounce bottle and drink it throughout the morning. So it works for me because I get in a good amount of Water plus my protein. Most days I am right at the goal of 60 grams that my NUT has me on for now.

Thanks so much everyone I appreciate all your input. You all are the reason I love this site. :rolleyes::) I get alot of Protein a day without the Protein Shakes because I eat nothing but protein all day from tuna to deli meat , imitation crab bits and cheese. I am so tired of those darn protein shakes I couldnt take it so if i eat alot of meat like if i was on the Atkins diet I get in about 60-70 grams of protein a day . My fitnes pal user name is Simply1Quel . thanks everyone

I'm getting all my Protein from food, no Protein powder. My biggest snack food is Fage Greek yogurt. It has 23 grams of Protein per cup and counts as Fluid, too. It tastes like a rich sour cream.

My NUTs Protein goals are 90-100g/day and 500-500calories

At first i struggled with getting enough liquids, waiting the 30 min before/after and then fitting as much dense Protein as i could into 30 minutes..... I found myself staying up later just to eat and drink!! It was CRAZY!

Now.... I have had a few weeks to "smarten up" and this is my basic plan:

Breakfast

6oz greek yogurt (non fat plain flavored w/ splenda and Torani syrups) (20g protein)

2 bottles of water/diet green tea (24ox liquid)

snack

1 RTD protein shake (30g protein & 12oz liquid) OR tofu snackers (15g pro)

lunch

2oz dense protein (usually lunchmeat or tuna or chix breast) (15g pro)

2 bottles of water/crystal lite (24oz liquid)

dinner

2oz dense protein & small babybell cheese (20g pro)

SNACK

1 homeade Protein Shake with skim milk & 1 funsize dark chocolate (35g pro & 12oz liquid) OR 1 homemade protein pudding (15g pro)

RIGHT BEFORE BED

8oz Water (prevents AM nausea & dizzyness)

1 gram of Protein contains 4 calories.

60+ grams of Protein = 240+ calories.

So it's quite easy to get all your protein in and still have a very low caloric intake. My Protein drinks have 40gm of protein and 160 calories. I drink a half of one to a full one per day, depending on how much protein I get from my foods. Common foods I will eat for protein:

Maguro (bluefin sashimi, per ounce): 6.6gm protein, 40 calories. I eat 2 - 4 oz, let's average it to 3 which would be 19gm protein, 120 calories.

Gruyere cheese (per ounce): 9g protein, 115 calories.

Pure Protein Choco PB (per bar): 20gm protein, 200 calories.

So if I did a half a Protein Drink, 4 oz of maguro (throughout the day), 1 oz of Gruyere and 1/2 of a Protein Bar I would be at 65 grams of protein and 455 calories.