Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1000-1400 Cal/day At 3 Months Post Op

I am worried because I am regularly getting in 1000-1400 cal/day.

I am getting in more than enough Water and Protein.< /p>

Is this normal? I am worried that my sleeve is not small enough adn that I will put the weight back on in 12-24 months. How many calories will I be able to take in 12-18 mo post op when the honeymoon phase is over???

HELP

Has anyone had this experience who is further out and what has your experience been?

From what I have been seeing you should be around 600-800 calories. 1200 calories is for maintenance time. When you have reached your goal.

I'm in the same boat, but I'm between 1000 and 1200 cals, only healthy stuff. My nut is ok with it, and she told me that the 600 cals I started out with wasn't enough . I'm confused, but not panicked.

What does your diet look like? Can you give us an example? I have MFP and my username is dorrierobles2003@yahoo.com. Add me as a friend and you can go back to november and it will show you what I ate at that time. ;)

Well ... it depends. Tell us about your calories. If you are getting 1200 calories eating ice cream, chocolate and potato chips, then yes ... there is a problem.

If you are getting them eating chicken, shrimp and tuna, then that tells us something entirely different.

Are you exercising? Are you drinking with your meals? Are you eating lean Protein first?

What are you eating on an average day?

I'm 10 Weeks post op. My doctors office did one of those body composition scans on me, then told me I should be eating around 1500 calories a day if I want to lose weight. Now, that would only be possible if I ate crap all day... At this point I can eat about 3-4 Oz of food at a time. If I plan out what I eat and ignore cravings, I can hit around 1200 calories a day.

I stalled for almost a month at 1000 a day.

I don't subscribe to the belief that I had this surgery to starve my body for the rest of my life. I also don't subscribe to the belief that because I eat 1200 calories now it means I'll eat 2400 calories a year from now.

I seem to be alone in this thought process, though...

thats where I was at for a calorie count at 3 months. I made goal at 8.5 months! Some bodies work better with more calories.

isntsheclever: you're not alone on this. My NUT also told me that to keep my body burning calories I should be getting around 1200 for someone with my BMR and that she didn't care how many calories I added as long as it was Protein. Once I upped my protein (and the calories went from 850 to 1200) my month long stall broke and I started losing again. Go figure :-)

There's also a lot of evidence that confusing your body by changing up calorie intake, some days higher and some days lower, will help the body lose weight by preventing stalls. The body doesn't get used to a certain level. Of course the big thing at this point is Protein, protein and protein. Some more information would be good here also. You want to make sure that you are following the 30 minute rule - no drinking before or after eating.

Everyone's body is different, but for most people 1200 calories a day will still put them in a calorie deficit.

thanks for all of your input! I feel like I am always eating or drinking at all times until I go to bed.

From eyeballing MFP. Here is my rough average input:

1000-1200 caloris/day

25-40 g fat

70-85g Protein

25-110g carbs

70-100 g water/fluid

Seems like I'm high in fat and carbs but not sure what to do about it. Does anyone have a good resource for finding a bariatric NUT? I had surgery in MX so tough to find a dietician. I don't cook alot at all. I eat what my family eats and don't have much prep time with kids and a more than full time job.

I'm 10 Weeks post op. My doctors office did one of those body composition scans on me, then told me I should be eating around 1500 calories a day if I want to lose weight. Now, that would only be possible if I ate crap all day... At this point I can eat about 3-4 Oz of food at a time. If I plan out what I eat and ignore cravings, I can hit around 1200 calories a day.

I stalled for almost a month at 1000 a day.

I don't subscribe to the belief that I had this surgery to starve my body for the rest of my life. I also don't subscribe to the belief that because I eat 1200 calories now it means I'll eat 2400 calories a year from now.

I seem to be alone in this thought process, though...

You aren't alone in that belief at all.

I'm 2 month post-op and have to really work at it to get in 700 calories (I'm trying to get in even more). I'm eating several fairly low calorie foods though. Also trying to up carbs.

If you want to maintain Protein but lower carbs/fat, try eating more fish/seafood. If it weren't for sashimi I'd still be trying to force down Protein drinks all day long. Low fat cheeses also tend to have low carbs and decent Protein (I use either Babybel light or Gruyere as a snack). Carbs aren't a bad thing, you just want them coming from the right sources. A good guideline: buy your food from the perimeter of the store. That's where they tend to keep the good carbs like fresh fruits, vegeatbles, dairies, etc. The center of the store is where all the crap processed foods are.

It might come down to needing a separate meal from your family. For no more than we eat, it's not hard to make something on a weekend and just portion it out during the week, just in case. Some foods they want I just can't eat yet. Many I choose not to eat (e.g. I do not eat red meat). DD eats a combo of what I make for DH and what I'm having.

thanks for all of your input! I feel like I am always eating or drinking at all times until I go to bed.

From eyeballing MFP. Here is my rough average input:

1000-1200 caloris/day

25-40 g fat

70-85g Protein

25-110g carbs

70-100 g water/fluid

Seems like I'm high in fat and carbs but not sure what to do about it. Does anyone have a good resource for finding a bariatric NUT? I had surgery in MX so tough to find a dietician. I don't cook alot at all. I eat what my family eats and don't have much prep time with kids and a more than full time job.

You should start looking into crockpot cooking. Some days its the only way I can manage it. I cut up everything the night before (less than 10 minutes), put it in a bag and dump it into the crockpot in the am with some fluids. Good luck finding a NUT, I'm not sure how you go about that.

Agreed! Your BMR now is not what your BMR will be in a year. It's important to remember that as you lose weight, you need to eat less. So the 1200 calories you're eating now should absolutely not be 2400 calories in a year. Just my BMR now is maintenance for many others.

You aren't alone in that belief at all.