Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One of the side effects of sleeve surgery is that many people become lactose intolerant. My Bariatric Coordinator suggested Mootopia or other lactose free milk from here on out after my surgery (once I'm on full liquids).

I am 7 months out, can eat regular cheeses and cottage cheese, but milk based Protein Shakes make me very sick to this day. I don't love the taste but supplement my Protein intake with Isopure Zero Carb ready to drink "clear" drinks. They are pricey, but cut my hunger big time. Good luck! Leah

Lactaid has become my best friend. I drink a carnation Meal Replacement shake almost daily for Breakfast and it has over 20 something grams of Protein. Lactaid comes in a fat free version so yay to that! I did not enjoy the flavored silk however. I can tolerate cheeses, but I do buy redueced fat or fat free cheese. Also I am trying to find foods that offer that lean protein I have always believed in eating calories or nutrients and not drinking them. One of the big things we have to remember is that this is a tool for the rest of our lives and we cannot live on Soups and broth and Protein Drinks for the rest of our lives, we have to learn how incorporate the healthy chewy stuff. I used to drink the total lean shakes from GNC and I have seen many sleevers say that they drink one as a meal replacement post op. They were really tasty pre-op but I am going to get some today and will let you know if those were tolerable just so you can have options. Good luck but I think it was a way of God ensuring we don't dive back into a tub of ice cream! LOL

I have become totally unable to consume dairy since surgery - to the point where even "lactose-free" products like Lactaid and all whey-based Proteins (Including IsoPure) make me almost immediately and painfully ill. I've tried soy a couple of times, but it gives me amazingly bad gas, so soy is off my list as well. At this point, I can stand rice milk....in teeny tiny quantities.

This has made the first few weeks of post-op challenging. I do hope things change at some point - cheese was not something I was willing to give up in this bargain. Sigh.

Can you guys tell me more about milk allergies? Every night around dinner time I get a low grade fever for about 4-5 hours and feel really strange. The only thing new is cream of Soups or sf pudding. On week 2 post op. Spent last night in Er having tests done for fever. The found nothing wrong.

I wouldnt recommend this, but.....

I never had an issue with dairy until after my surgery- after surgery I would get gassy and well..... you know.

Since I love the Syntrax shakes with skim milk and the milk is a great way to get your Protein in, I decided to drink the milk, be patient with the intollerance issues everyday until I trained my body to get over it. I drank extra Water during this time to make sure that I wasnt getting dehydrated.

About a week later I was able to consume all types of dairy (many servings daily of skim milk, NF yogurt and FF cottage cheese) without issues. I must have tricked/taught my body.