Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

H-Pylori Test Requirement Has Me Ready To Scream

Surgery is scheduled for June 4, 2012. I have kept food, Water, exercise logs 6 months, met with the internist, sat in on two mandatory group meetings, had pre-op testing, met with psychologist, had psychological testing, nutritionist counseling, sat in on two two hour meetings regarding pre-op & post op diets, had blood work, ekg, upper gi, stress test, today is my meeting with nurse to get my spirometer & go over my medications and last minute details.

On Monday, May 21st I start my 14 day liquid shakes and last night I noticed a message on my cell phone from someone from the office saying I needed to call to schedule a test called the H-Pylori test as soon as possible, but I have to be off the Prilosec two weeks in advance first. That brings me to Wednesday May 30th!!! The test takes one or two days for result which will bring me to Friday, June 1st. I'm suppose to have surgery on Monday, June 4th!!!!

If I have the H-Pylori bacteria I will have to take a cocktail of medications in advance of surgery. I called to ask about the test today and was given a very snippy response to my concerns and I'm so upset about it.

They had 7 months....7 months to figure this out. She doesn't seem to understand how upsetting this could be to someone who has invested so much time, effort and even money into this surgery just to have the chance that it will be postponed just days 3 days before surgery, but never bothered to explain to me what happens if I DO have it. Will I have to do 14 days of some weird cocktail of antibiotics & PPI's prior to surgery or will my surgery be postponed and will I have to be retested, etc.

Why wasn't this part of the pre-surgical screening, after having 7 MONTHS to worry about this.

To make matters worse, they do this surgery at two hospitals, one is about 50 minutes from my home and one about 4 minutes from my home. I asked if I could have this testing done at the hospital by me, where I am actually having the surgery, and I will need to find a ride out there because my son has school. She seemed frustrated with my question and said she will have to see if the nurse that is there could do it and she put me on hold less than TWO seconds and said the other is too busy that day you are just going to have to try to find your way out here.

She seemed perturbed by the fact that I am frustrated, though I was obviously not aiming at her, it was in general.

As I was typing this, I received a call from the hospital pre-admitting nurse to get everything together for the anesthesiologist, and go over my history etc. and then dropped another bomb on me, that there is an order for more blood work to be done at the hospital right now and that I will most likely be told about it when I see the nurse today.

Has anyone had to have the Pylori testing this close to surgery and was surgery postponed to have to have the medication first? I'm pretty upset atm and am normally upbeat and positive, and of course as the date approaches I am getting cold feet, but being nervous about surgery. I am trying to see the positive that they are really doing everything to make sure that the surgery is done safely with my best interest and they are taking many precautions, but I feel really frustrated.

I don't recall if I did. Why would H Pylori need to be treated first anyway?

Tell them to write up an order for your test, and yo uwill search for a nearby lab. You have the right to use your own choices...make them aware that you know this. They either accomidate you or you pay someone else.

I have had the H-Pylori test, and it is not done until two weeks prior to your surgery. Mine came back positive and post-poned my surgery. They are not allowed to do it any sooner. It is part of your blood work. If the first cocktail doesnt clear it up then you have to take another dose. It is frustrating but it is for important for your health and success of your surgery. Good luck

Not every lab or hospital performs the H Pylori test. I had to have the test done in another town because no lab or hospital in my town could do it. Better check first!

Fortunately, the test was negative so there was no delay.

Just breathe! There is a reason for this to be happening right now and we're not in a position to know why. My surgery was scheduled and re-scheduled 3 times due to issues with blood clots. Then I had to have 3 surgeries instead of 1. I had a filter installed in my Vena Cava, 5 days later I had my VSG, and 14 days later I had the filter removed from my Vena Cava. The filter caught 2 clots and saved my life!

It was worth it and yours will be worth it, even if there is a delay. I know it's frustrating, but even if it does delay your surgery by two weeks, you will at least know that everything possible has been done to protect your health and welfare. (((Hugs))) I know it's frustrating!

Does your surgeon do the pylori test standard, or is there reason to believe you need treatment? (e.g. do you have stomach pains or discomfort, etc.)

I didn't have to do one, but that sucks. I know what it's like to be close, and yet so far from reaching it.

The only situation I can think of where you'd need to have the testing done where the surgeon wants it is... well, actually I can't think of any time you'd HAVE to, but often if you're covered by insurance, having it done where they recommend (usually the hospital they operate through) keeps the costs covered by whatever copay you've already made, if you have a copay plan.

BTW, there's a breathing test that can be used for pylori. It's supposed to bemore accurate than the traditional test. I don't know if that's what you're being scheduled for or not, but maybe its results are available faster? Might want to ask.

I don't know if I had that done or not. I had labs drawn 10 days before surgery but I didn't ask what all they were testing.

Sounds very frustrating to say the least! Just breathe and take one step at a time. My surgeon and nutritionist told me in the very beginnning that I would be tested for HP and showed me what it looked like if someone had it. Its important that they know because it could interfere with healing afterward. My surgeon told me that HP is one of the things he will be looking for during my endoscopy tomorrow morning. If I have it, he said it's 2 weeks of antibiotics and 2 weeks after they test again to make sure the antibiotics took care of it. I've noticed a lot of people never had this test prior to being sleeved, perhaps it's a newer criteria? I hope you can get everything taken care of and your test for HP comes back negative, I understand your frustration, June 4th isn't too far away.

My insurance requires it is done...so I will have it about 2 weeks before my surgery too!

I'm sorry this has been sprung on you so late in the game. But you definitely don't want to develop an ulcer in what little portion of a stomach you'll have left. I guess I was lucky because my surgeon tested for it on my first visit.

Hopefully, the test comes back negative and you can move forward as scheduled. If not, yes they will probably postpone it but it's all for your health. Take care!

I'm sorry this has been sprung on you so late in the game. But you definitely don't want to develop an ulcer in what little portion of a stomach you'll have left. I guess I was lucky because my surgeon tested for it on my first visit.

Hopefully' date=' the test comes back negative and you can move forward as scheduled. If not, yes they will probably postpone it but it's all for your health. Take care![/quote']

It happened to me my test came back pos I had to switch my date from April 30 to may 10th... Not so bad but I was upset and scared that my second test would be positive, nut it was negative... I think it may take more than one treatment my meds were two weeks long, make sure you take them as directed. Good luck!

Itested positive for pylori cause it sets you back 45 days, first you have to take antibiotics for 15 days and then wait 30 days before you can retest. Just be patient sounds like its gonna happen. You might test negitive too. I knew I was gonna be positive because I had ulcer bleeding before but it is important to treat.good luck

Im so sorry you are going through this. I had my test done in October. That is really crazy that they wait that long.

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words. I met with the Nurse practitioner today and she immediately broached the H Pylori test.

She said that it is too late in the game to do the breath test. I was so grateful that I didn't even talk to her and she realized this on her own and called the snippy chick to tell her to cancel that breath test. She said I would have to be off all PPI's for two weeks first, and it would be too close to surgery and she doesn't want me off the Prilosec for an extended period like that. She sent me for the Blood Test instead. If it comes back positive, which I think it will, (I have acid reflux, I get diverticulitis, I have a hernia, and have a lot of stomach issues and in 1999 I had a adhesions that wrapped around my intestines and everything leaked into my tummy cavity.) The 50% of people having it has me written all over it lol.

I will have to take the cocktail (along with my 3 shakes a day) before surgery, but surgery should not have to be postponed, she said there will be plenty of time to get rid of it before June 4th.

Today she gave me the stuff I'm suppose to wash with the night before surgery and the day of surgery and the spirometer. She gave me my sheet to mark Fluid intake, she sent me for other blood work, the clotting one and a few others.

Thank you all so much again for your responses. I'll update you when I get the results. I heard the cocktail Prevpac was horrendous on your tummy and I bet it will be more brutal while having to do the 14 day fast, but I think I would rather go through it before surgery than after!