Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No Longer Hot? Omg This Is Awesome!

So, I'm going to consider this a major NSV for me. For the past several years, I've suffered from episodes of excessive sweating. Heat, humidity, crowds, anxiety, exercise, exertion, you name it, I could be completely drenched, especially from my scalp. It's been a horrendously embarrassing experience, to the point where I've avoided social events because of my fear of causing a scene. I've barely gone outside during the summer the last couple of years. FYI, the sweats began before I was terribly overweight (my lowest weight was 154, I remember the sweats starting when I was in the 170's). I could be drenched in sweat just from walking around on a cold but damp day.

Anyhoo, I'm 4.5 weeks out of surgery, down 35 lbs to 239, and about ten days ago I suddenly realized that . . . . I'm not sweating any more! In the last week I attended an outdoor garden party in terrible humidity, an outdoor fish fry, and schlepping supplies in and out of an un-air conditioned convention space. Not once have I broken a sweat, even running around in layers and high heels. I even climbed several flights of stairs without so much as a flush.

Somewhere several months ago I read that that a hormone in the stomach regulated body temp and that VSG could help "cure" excessive sweating beyond just the weight loss aspect alone. Has anyone seen what I remember reading? Anyone else having a similar experience? I did expect to have some of it resolve with weight loss, but not this early or extreme.

Anyway, regardless of the reason or the cure, I'm an incredibly happy camper. I would have had VSG just to resolve this issue alone.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Hi! I know wher eyou're coming from. I use to have excessive prespiration too!

It's really embarassing when we eat out, i'll be using the whole packet of tissue otherwise, i might end up having a soupy lunch....

And yes! since the day post-op, I stopped. I thought its just because i'm not eating carbs anymore, hence i tend to feel colder/ no sweat!

Would like to read the article you are referring to.

Cheers to all sleevers! It's great!

Good luck to your journey too!

I hope this happens to me!! I have the EXACT same problem, from the scalp, and people look at me like I'm about to have a heart attack and ask me if I'm ok. It's the most embarrassing thing ever and I hate it. Just the thought of this surgery helping the sweating issue gives me such hope! I'll let you know if this NSV shows up in my life! Thanks for sharing!!

I've read that ghrelin, the hunger hormone that's removed along with the majority of our stomachs, is responsible for body temp regulation, at least in part. Removing that ghrelin makes a lot of us cold constantly after surgery. It's been a godsend for me since I've been exercising. Not so great at night, since I was already cold constantly when I sleep.

I'm thrilled that you've had a great experience with the body temperature changes!! :)

Lissa, that must be what I read too. I just can't find the article again. I can't tell you how happy this makes me feel. This will almost be a bigger life changer than the weight loss.

Yep, same here. I was a hot sweaty guy ALL my life, even when I was a child and slim adult. The day after my surgery I no longer was. So it's something OTHER than just losing weight and something more profound than that.

I suspect that it is the ghrelin connection as well. I used to break out in a sweat just sitting around, now I get chilled easy and hardly ever break out in a sweat.

It's great! One of the BEST side effects of the surgery yet!

congrats!!!!!!!!!

Just wait until you are cold all the time ;)

Holy cow. This explains a lot. I have been constantly cold since surgery. I'm wearing layers during the day and it's been close to 70 degrees, and a flannel night gown at night sleeping under a quilt with another warm blanket on top. Glad to know it's normal! LOL

This makes so much sense! I am loving hearing this. I used to sweat like crazy all the time. It does not help that I live in TX. However, even now when I work out I sweat a bit, my hair gets wet under my biking helmet, but before, I needed to have a towel in my hand. I couldn't wear makeup because I would just sweat it off. I have to look into this because now I am cold all the time and at night I feel like I need sweats and socks to sleep (my husband likes an arctic chill). I would trade being cold to sweating when I haven't been doing anything to warrant it.

If I was forced to pick only one reason that I want to lose weight, it would be because of my heat intolerance. My body HURTS constantly due to the extra weight. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a myriad of complaints all due to my weight, but my heat intolerance is ridiculous. I also live in Texas which is not a good place when you can't handle the heat. Heck, I can't even do something as simple as getting ready in the morning without breaking out in a sweat. And, what's crazy about that is I keep my air in the lower 70's. I spoooo would rather be cold any day. You can always add clothes. You can't always do the opposite when you are hot. And, even when I can get naked, I still sweat with very little activity.

If I was forced to pick only one reason that I want to lose weight' date=' it would be because of my heat intolerance. My body HURTS constantly due to the extra weight. I have high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a myriad of complaints all due to my weight, but my heat intolerance is ridiculous. I also live in Texas which is not a good place when you can't handle the heat. Heck, I can't even do something as simple as getting ready in the morning without breaking out in a sweat. And, what's crazy about that is I keep my air in the lower 70's. I spoooo would rather be cold any day. You can always add clothes. You can't always do the opposite when you are hot. And, even when I can get naked, I still sweat with very little activity.[/quote']

I feel your pain. We live in south MS, it's ungodly hot from May thru October.

Glad you got some relief. I've been hoping weight loss will do the same for me. It brings me hope when I see posts like yours. Thanks for posting.

~Amy

Interesting info...I am ALWAYS freezing. I dress in many layers and usually have to take a hot shower at night so I can warm up enough to fall asleep. I just thought it was because I've lost 90lbs...

i want this to happen to me! haha

i don't sweat a lot, that is not an issue to me, but i'm always hot, i need the a/c to be super cold to feel confy, i live in the desset so that doesn't help,

i read before surgery about the always feeling cold after, but so far it hasn't happen to me :(