Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What should I expect the girl told me to go with my sleeping essentials and meds if any. but what will happen during the night??

Oh it is really easy, so don't worry!

They hook you up to sensors on your scalp, chest, legs & put tubes by your nose (they go in ever so slightly). Then they expect you to sleep, which is tricky as you have wires all over you, so not the most comfortable!

They monitor your breathing, heartrate, & check for restless leg syndrome, oh & oxygen saturation I think. If they note, during the night, that you have apnea episodes then they will probably come in & hook you up to a machine to help you breath a bit better.

For me it was easy. In fact I have to go back in June to do a re-check, to see if anything has changed.

One tip is to wear loose fitting PJs as you have to run wires from the top of your body, down your legs & just makes it easier to get the wires where they need to go.

Good luck!

Thanx great advice about the Pj's I make a mental note on that oh lord I don't know how I will sleep with all those wires LOL.

Yeah, I toss & turn a lot, so twice the wires came loose & they had to come in & reattach them. lol It is tricky to sleep & I honestly didn't think I slept at all. But apparently they told me I did & I snored!

I felt like I didn't sleep at all for mine, but they were able to determine in the little I did, that I stopped breathing 54 times an hour. The worst part is the glue they put in your hair to keep the sensors in place. I had to go back a second time for my cpap study. I do love my machine, but I'm hoping it won't be a forever relationship, if you know what I mean.

I hear you Shapeshifter my doctor is 99.9% positive I have sleep apnea because no matter how much I sleep I'm always tired if I do need the machine so be it but I hope after surgery and weight loss I will no longer need it.

You still might not have apnea. My Dr sent me for a sleep study, suspecting I had apnea as I was tired all the time & sleeping about 10 hours a night! How could I still be tired?

But I had zero apnea episodes at the sleep study.

They did find that I had very low Vitamin D though, after doing tests, so taking extra Vit D & hoping that helps.

When I went for my sleep study I just went in my normal clothes (Someone else doing the study that night walked in with their PJs on lol Idk if thats how I was supposed to do it but I didn't lol) and then they just put on one of those hospital bracelets and took me to my room. They offered me a snack and something to drink.

Then my technician came in and told me she was finishing up setting up someone else and she would be right in to get me started. She asked me to change into my PJs and do anything I do before bed. So I changed and ate my snack and drink lol and brushed my teeth and just relaxed for a bit until she came back. They had a tv so I just watched some tv waiting for her to return. Then she came in and started putting the wires on me and the nose thingy. No biggie :) The wires did go through from the top through the pants to the legs. After she was all done I layed down. Having them put on the wires and setting everything up was not bad at all. After that she just left the room and tested the equipment. I had to raise my hand in the dark (I'm assuming for her to test the camera was working properly) and she asked me to pretend I was making a snoring noise lol so I did (I'm assuming to test sound or a mic or something lol) and that was it. Off to sleepy land!

Felt like I didn't sleep at all! But apparently I did! The wires on my left leg came off too like NJSharon so she just came in and fixed them. Then in the morning I heard her in a speaker in the room and she just said the sleep study was over. She came in and took off the wires and that was it!

I was told that if they saw something that indicated possible apnea they would come in the middle of the night and hook me up with the machine but they didn't do it. My results came back that I did not have sleep apnea. So that was good! I know it is long but I know when I was going for my sleep study I wanted to know every detail about what was going to happen lol Hope that helps! :)

Thanks guys yes this helps alot. I'm ready for it and yes NJSharon I do have Vitamin D very low and i've had 2 treatments of 50,000 units for it. so will see what the study says on Friday.

Committed2change thanx that was a very detail explanation I appreciate it :)

I had to have 2 sleep studies. I knew I had sleep apnea; it was getting the primary to order the test. I have major claustrophobia (they used the full face mask) and freaked out and ripped the wires off the first time.

The second test, they used nasal pillows and i didn't freak out, but I only got 25 mins sleep and laid there with my eyes closed ( pretending I was asleep - like they couldn't tell I was awake lol) until they came in and said it was over. Hallelujah!

I've had my cpap for 5 years now and don't sleep right without it. Yet, I am waiting til the day I no longer need it. I get the tubing caught up in my sheet at night.

Mine was pretty interesting. You get hooked up with many wires to your head with some really goopy stuff. My place had a shower, bring Shampoo. You are also hooked up with other straps and such. Nothing painful. Then you go to sleep.I work nights so I had mine on days after my shift so I had no problem falling asleep. I slept for a time without and with a C-Pap machine. I used my machine about 1 month pre only.No need after. I use my fitbit now to monitor my sleep. Much improved.

Thanx guy I was reschedule for the following fridady 5/18/12 so I have another week to go.

Finished my sleep now to get this goo od my hair and then wait for my result which is frustrating 7 to 10 busines days :/