Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sugar Free/no Sugar Added?

Hi everyone. I am two days away from being sleeved (yay!!) and have a question about the post op diet. I know sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles are allowed, but what about no sugar added? Everything I've checked out has a smallish amount of sugar in it, like the fruit juice bars I found this morning. They had 8 grams of sugar each, I assume that is natural sugars? Just thought I might ask for your thoughts :)

Almost forgot, what about aspartame? Is that permitted in place of sugar?

Great post, Krista! I was wondering the same thing. I'll be sleeved in mid-June. I really like the powdered drink mixes w/aspartame that I can get from Walmart or Dollar Tree - 10 tubes per box. I have a ton of them and wondered if I can drink them after my surgery. All the best for you in two days!!! Keep us posted!

I think if you're seeing 8-plus grams of sugar and "no sugar added", you're probably looking at fruit juice popsicles.

The regular no-sugar popsicles generally have like 2 grams of sugars or less (from sugar alcohols) and contain no fruit or fruit juice whatsoever.

I don't know if fruit juice (especially the more acidic juices) would could as "clear" on the clear diet portion of our diets after surgery, so I plan to buy the non-fruit juice types.

My doctor says I can have sugar in my pre-op. no sugar added means the product has its natural sugars but nothing extra added to it. To be safe check with ur doctor

Good to know, I'll add this to the list of questions that I'm bringing with me :)

My NUT said to look for foods with 5 grams or less of fat per serving and 10 grams or less of sugar per serving.

Early post-op, I found that a lot of the sugar-free products either tasted icky to me, or caused me raging reflux/heartburn (like Powerade Zero and crystal light). I'm not a huge fan of artificial sweetener in general, and since sugar didn't cause me any issues I often would choose the "real thing" with popsicles, etc. That said, it can be a slippery slope, particularly if you had a sugar addiction pre-op (which I didn't).

I always thought the fruit juice bars were delicious and the natural sugars didn't bother me . . . I figured it was better for me than HFCS and aspartame, anyway.

Hi there,

I was sleeved in mid Jan 2012. That was a concern if mine then too. Any foods or beverages containing any aspartame or etc.... (fake sugars) would trigger my Migraines. I tried stevia & one other product that is somewhat natural because it's made from sugar but they would hurt my stomach. My nutritionist told me to dilute my beverages/ juices with Water. I couldn't always dilute the frozen items. I would limit some or i would for example thaw out a Luigi lemo Italian icy,add water to dilute (equal parts water to the amount of icy) & refreeze in a slight larger container . I stuck with mostly broth, water, diluted apple juice, Decaf unsweetened herbal teas (which helped me alot especially peppermint & spearmint) & I limited the Jello. It worked out. I'm 4 months post-op & 70 lbs lighter. Don't worry it will work out. If anyone has more info I would love to hear & try out.

Hi there' date='

I was sleeved in mid Jan 2012. That was a concern if mine then too. Any foods or beverages containing any aspartame or etc.... (fake sugars) would trigger my Migraines. I tried stevia & one other product that is somewhat natural because it's made from sugar but they would hurt my stomach. My nutritionist told me to dilute my beverages/ juices with Water. I couldn't always dilute the frozen items. I would limit some or i would for example thaw out a Luigi lemo Italian icy,add Water to dilute (equal parts water to the amount of icy) & refreeze in a slight larger container . I stuck with mostly broth, water, diluted apple juice, Decaf unsweetened herbal teas (which helped me alot especially peppermint & spearmint) & I limited the Jello. It worked out. I'm 4 months post-op & 70 lbs lighter. Don't worry it will work out. If anyone has more info I would love to hear & try out.[/quote']

Diluting does help. I drink Gatorade g2 and I always dilute it.