Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Went to a restaurant for a Christmas dinner tonight - had two prawns and two pieces of meat plus a piece of zuccini. Totally full :) I LOVE my sleeve!!!

Went to a restaurant for a Christmas dinner tonight - had two prawns and two pieces of meat plus a piece of zuccini. Totally full :) I LOVE my sleeve!!!

How good does it feel to go to something like that and have control over what you consume. Nice work. Deano

Just curious.....How do you know when you are full? I was sleeved on Nov. 14 and I just find eating really uncomfortable. I don't eat large quantities, probably about 1/2 cup at a time but I really never get a feeling of being full. The food either stays down or comes back up.

Just curious.....How do you know when you are full? I was sleeved on Nov. 14 and I just find eating really uncomfortable. I don't eat large quantities' date=' probably about 1/2 cup at a time but I really never get a feeling of being full. The food either stays down or comes back up.[/quote']

I think it is completely new feeling from what you would recognize as full pre sleeve. I have found that I have had to re learn to recognize my full feeling - it basically feels like if I eat another bite it just won't fit no matter how good it tastes. If you eat too quickly you get that feeling too, however if you take a break you may find you can eat a bit more as your stomach does relax a bit after the first few bites. I also find that Protein is harder to digest /eat than some crisp carbs - which is a trap as i need to eat my Protein. Just listen to and try and feel what your stomach is feeling and you will start to pick up the signals. I was sleeved on the 18th July this year and I am still learning!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thanks for this reply Suoco. My surgery was on Nov. 14 so I am fairly new to this. I'm pleased with my weight loss but at the moment I feel like just sticking to the Protein Shakes because eating food is just too much effort and trouble.

Thanks for this reply Suoco. My surgery was on Nov. 14 so I am fairly new to this. I'm pleased with my weight loss but at the moment I feel like just sticking to the Protein shakes because eating food is just too much effort and trouble.

Yes - I remember having those same thoughts but it does get easier. There are some things that I still find just too hard so don't go there - like poached eggs. I find these really hard to digest - yet scrambled is ok - go figure. I really hated the Protein Shakes so nothing was going to get me back on them - I was never a milkshake kind of person prior to the sleeve so that whole pre op and liquid stage was miserable for me. I was so looking forward to getting back to real food I think it came as a bit of shock to me that you have to learn how to eat again! Quite q journey that I am still on but really really happy with the results!

Thanks for this reply Suoco. My surgery was on Nov. 14 so I am fairly new to this. I'm pleased with my weight loss but at the moment I feel like just sticking to the Protein shakes because eating food is just too much effort and trouble.

Hi AussieLady, everything Sue mentioned is so true and a good description. Are you seeing a dietician? If not is important to do so as they can support you through this period. You need to eat real food to get enough ad the right nutrition to heal and stay healthy. For examples eating 5 to 6 times per day and a whole range of foods to cover all groups. My dietician advised not to keep drinking shakes as they ate too low calorie and your body now needs more. Hope that helps.

Thanks for this advice Kelliv. I am not seeing my dietician until the end of January. My surgeon is really good but very casual. His advice was, "if you are hungry eat, if you are thirsty drink". That's pretty much what I do, but I am more successful at eating than drinking. I will just persevere, everything I read on here says it gets easier. Thanks again!

hey Im in melbourne,

Was banded on 10th December 2012 Been out of hospital 2 days, Cant believe how all the cravings have stopped and how little im willing to stop eating.

Off all pain meds. Get tenderness after eatting and occassionally when I go to change sides at night. Was so happy when I could find get back on my left side... was really tender in hospital for a bit there.

Now Just to get my diet right so the weight continues to come off...

Hope everyone is going well...

Hi Aussielady - I struggle with knowing when I am full. I often go a little too far and end up lying on the couch for 30 minutes until that feeling goes away. I find that carbs are really hard to eat, including rice. Generally I try to avoid it, having Protein first and everything else secondary to getting that in. fruit is great (when you can have it) particularly when it's hot like it is today. If I am not feeling great on waking (which sometimes I am not), I will have yoghurt for brekky instead of Cereal which I am finding to be a great alternative. When you can manage it fish is great too, particularly when you're going out places. I can eat a little more fish than a denser Protein like beef or chicken. So it looks like you've eaten more :)

I've noticed that the slower I eat, the more aware I am of the full feeling and the less likely I am to push it. So that's probably the best advice I have - to try to eat as slow as you can :) Good luck!!

I'm seeing my surgeon on Wednesday for my 6 month post op check up. He said at my last review 3 months ago that he'd like me to be in my 80's, but that hasn't happened (only a few kg's off), so I'm hoping he'll be pleased with the 35kg I have lost. I'll re-weigh myself Wednesday morning before I go, so I can compare scales.< /p>

Thanks for this advice Kelliv. I am not seeing my dietician until the end of January. My surgeon is really good but very casual. His advice was' date=' "if you are hungry eat, if you are thirsty drink". That's pretty much what I do, but I am more successful at eating than drinking. I will just persevere, everything I read on here says it gets easier. Thanks again![/quote']

If you want to I can post or email you scanned copies of instructions I received from my dietician who I saw 6 times before and after surgery finishing around week 4 post surgery or can you bring your appt forward as it's so important to get the right advice and support during this time?

That would be great Kelli. Will I just publish my email address on here?

I am in Brisbane. If you wish to email me at kelli@platinumresidences.com.au, I will reply. Cheers