Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Well done! It's amazing isn't it?

It is .. I can see the light at the end if the tunnel. Tho my partner said " your only going to lose another 10 aren't u?"

Oh noooo another 40. He said nope too skinny. Tough I want to be in my bmi and healthy

Nice you are doing so well! I remember cheering you on before and during your surgery because you were the next one after me. I just celebrated 11 months last week! This has been an amazing journey. I actually saw 59.9 on the scale last week but it was after a 7km run so it was false. Still, a year ago I never would have imagined. I think you have lost way more than me and I am so pleased for you! My life has been so crazy. I'm in Melbourne this week for a short holiday with my husband and I return to Brisbane Saturday afternoon, then fly to San Francisco for two weeks to start my new job! I will be working remotely from my home but will be traveling to hang out with the rest of the team several times a year. I don't think I would have had the confidence to go for this job or to be so assertive, before the surgery. I keep thinking how people at the new job won't know I was ever obese unless I tell them or they see old photos. I think I will be open about it though. I don't want to have a deep dark secret, you know? But I feel so normal now. For instance my new boss organized a group activity of sailing in the San Francisco Bay. I would have probably not said no before but I would have been so nervous about keeping up and so self conscious about what to wear and how I would look and what people would think of me. I don't have any of those feelings now. I, looking forward to learning about sailing and getting to know my coworkers! I want to tell some of you newbies about eating at basically a year out. I can eat anything. I eat Pasta, bread, cake, salads, all kinds of meat, fried food, candy, Soup, sushi, Chinese food, Indian food, Greek food, street food, pizza (thin crust), whatever. I drink wine and cocktails. I don't worry too much about the WHAT anymore. I pay attention to the HOW MUCH and I balance my week so that indulgent meals are a "sometimes" occurrence. Very little upsets my stomach. Raw vegetables and fizzy drinks are the main things I avoid. I still have great restriction and the way to ensure I don't overeat is Protein first. I can eat as much at a sitting as any other woman close to my size who is a "small eater". There are things I don't eat because I wouldn't be able to eat much of them at all, like sandwiches. So if you are still struggling through mushy foods or you are frustrated because steak still bothers you, take heart. Your life will get so normal. You will get variety back in your diet. You will be able to eat at a restaurant or a dinner party without being the odd one out. You will be able to go on holiday and try new foods or eat at fancy places. You will just be healthier while doing it!

Fantastic advice thankyou. Congrats on your weight loss and soon to be surgiversary ????????????????

Traveling in the US and in first week of my new job.

Hi all,

I'm new to this group. I have been researching for over 2 years. Finally asked my GP last Feb (13) for a referral after spending the previous 29 years yoyo dieting. At my heaviest known weight I was 136kg, but I was bigger, just didn't own scales.< /p>

I have impaired glucose tolerance and PCOS, with both my boys being conceived with Clomid.

Unfortunately my GP refused (bugger seeing a former dietician) and told me to go and diet and exercise. ARGH! I joined WW lost 10kg then gave up again. We have now moved towns and in Nov I saw a new GP who was more than happy to support me on this journey and wrote the required referral.

SO why am I still in the research phase 6 months later??? Because it has taken me 6 months to get in to see the surgeon! I live in Central West NSW and would prefer to have the surgery close to home rather than travel to Sydney (where I have no support) or Newcastle (where I am from originally and have support but won't have hubby close by). I have a referral to Dr Henry Hook in Orange and finally see him at the end of this month.

In February, I had a go at Optifast for a couple of weeks (to prove to myself that i could actually do it) and have managed to keep the 8kg that I lost then off. I have noticed that since then I have decreased my portion sizes but not my snacking and have stopped the walking that I was doing now that daylight saving has ended and I drive to and from work in the dark now. I'm curious to know what part exercise has played in your journeys? I'll go back and plough through the last 500 pages as time permits (and all the other pages!!!).

I'm looking forward to journeying with all of you.

Kaz

HI Guys

i am another newbie about to start changing my life with Gastric sleeve i am 49 years old 145kg and type 2 diabetic

i have spent the past twelve months reading posts and still find the whole process scary ,i now have the referral from my gp and i have sent of the forms to get things started :)

Hi to all the newbie's and good luck with your journey's

Hi all,

I'm new to this group. I have been researching for over 2 years. Finally asked my GP last Feb (13) for a referral after spending the previous 29 years yoyo dieting. At my heaviest known weight I was 136kg, but I was bigger, just didn't own scales.

I have impaired glucose tolerance and PCOS, with both my boys being conceived with Clomid.

Unfortunately my GP refused (bugger seeing a former dietician) and told me to go and diet and exercise. ARGH! I joined WW lost 10kg then gave up again. We have now moved towns and in Nov I saw a new GP who was more than happy to support me on this journey and wrote the required referral.

SO why am I still in the research phase 6 months later??? Because it has taken me 6 months to get in to see the surgeon! I live in Central West NSW and would prefer to have the surgery close to home rather than travel to Sydney (where I have no support) or Newcastle (where I am from originally and have support but won't have hubby close by). I have a referral to Dr Henry Hook in Orange and finally see him at the end of this month.

In February, I had a go at Optifast for a couple of weeks (to prove to myself that i could actually do it) and have managed to keep the 8kg that I lost then off. I have noticed that since then I have decreased my portion sizes but not my snacking and have stopped the walking that I was doing now that daylight saving has ended and I drive to and from work in the dark now. I'm curious to know what part exercise has played in your journeys? I'll go back and plough through the last 500 pages as time permits (and all the other pages!!!).

I'm looking forward to journeying with all of you.

Kaz

Hello Kaz,

For me the exercise has plays a huge part, mentally!!! I am not convinced that it has done anything more for my "weight loss" however, the inches have fallen off quickly so if you can get yourself in a routine, DO IT. It makes me feel that im not in this for a free ride and that i earn every single mm that goes away. But that is just me! Today I walked a pace of 6.1km per hour or less than 10 mins per km and that just makes me so proud of myself and no drugs on earth could give me that high. Good luck with your journey, and i would join a gym too if you are keen, cause changing things up makes your body burn more. Also keep in mind that it doesnt all just happen overnight, at first i could only walk around 800 mtrs and now 6 months later i walk 5 days a week (gotta have some rest) and average 5km daily so the fitter you get the more you will be able to do.

Hey guys, I start opti tomorrow and my op is on the 21st!! Can't believe it is really happening! I am super freaked, excited, nervous and ready to start my journey.. I am 34 from the Gold Coast! Getting sleeved by dr Liew! Loved reading all your journeys! Dal:)

Edited by kadybug

Ps. Meant to add I am 100.2 kgs and 168cm tall.. Have yo yoed my whole life so can't wait to lose weight and keep it off:)

Edited by kadybug

hope it goes quickly for you Kadybug , i dont have my first meeting with the surgeon and dietesion until the 12/6 but i am already not looking forward to the opti hope fully it will be only for 2 weeks :)

Thanks :) day 1 almost down. Not too bad. I am also trying to keep breastfeeding through this so I am praying my milk doesn't dry up during these 2 weeks. I mixed baby spinach in with my shakes to try and up bulk them up. The opti chocolate bar was horrendous! Just had one for dinner as well as a salad. Think I will stick to the shakes. I am going to have some diet jelly with berries for dessert soon while watching the voice. (I am allowed 2 bits of fruit a day!) Only 13 to go!!!! Ps I am peeing all bloody day too with all the liquids! Hahaha

Edited by kadybug

Thanks :) day 1 almost down. Not too bad. I am also trying to keep breastfeeding through this so I am praying my milk doesn't dry up during these 2 weeks. I mixed baby spinach in with my shakes to try and up bulk them up. The opti chocolate bar was horrendous! Just had one for dinner as well as a salad. Think I will stick to the shakes. I am going to have some diet jelly with berries for dessert soon while watching the voice. (I am allowed 2 bits of fruit a day!) Only 13 to go!!!! Ps I am peeing all bloody day too with all the liquids! Hahaha

Great that you want to keep breast feeding but what does your Dr say ? It is going to be so hard to get enough nutrition for yourself the first few weeks after surgery, maybe he can suggest some sort of supplement. Good Luck you are going to do great.

Thanks @@ausmith my dr says he has never had anyone ask if breastfeeding is possible and said he doesn't think it will be a problem! I have read that it is possible but it will be hard. I am stashing milk like a mad woman however I plan to feed him when my mother brings him to hospital the next day. (Pending anathestist approval) He will be 9 mths when I have surgery so if worst comes to worst he has a couple of months milk supply to use. On another note. Day 2 of opti sux big time.. Feel like crap and keep thinking about everything I cant eat! Don't know how some of you did it for more than 2 weeks!! Oh well only 12 to go!!!

Edited by kadybug

Thanks @@ausmith my dr says he has never had anyone ask if breastfeeding is possible and said he doesn't think it will be a problem! I have read that it is possible but it will be hard. I am stashing milk like a mad woman however I plan to feed him when my mother brings him to hospital the next day. (Pending anathestist approval)

He will be 9 mths when I have surgery so if worst comes to worst he has a couple of milk supply to use.

On another note. Day 2 of opti sux big time.. Feel like crap and keep thinking about everything I cant eat! Don't know how some of you did it for more than 2 weeks!! Oh well only 12 to go!!!

Hang in there Kadybug I found it got easier a few days in, make sure you keep up the Water as well that really helped and will also be good practice for after the op when you need to keep up the fluids. Good luck with the breast feeding hope that works out for you.