Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

I have my 11 month anniversary of surgery tomorrow. I have dropped from 98 kg to 61 (I am 4'11"). Went from size 22 to size 10 (size 6 US sizes). No longer have any symptoms of diabetes. I run at least 5 k three times a week, do a BodyPump weight training class every week, and zumba every week. I have energy and look great. Could not be more pleased. I would like to lose another 5 or 10 kg but not stressing. Still losing about a kg a month.

I just returned from a business trip to India. I saw these same colleagues in December and in October. They were shocked in October because I had dropped 15 kg, shocked in December because I had dropped another 15. This time I had only lost about 5 more but everyone told me how much less tired and more healthy I looked since the December trip (in December nobody told me I looked tired or unhealthy). Apparently my face looks a lot better and I know my body has changed shape because of the weight training.

So if you don't like how you look at some points in the journey, your body will catch up. It is normal to look tired or drained or washed out at some points. It can look like you are losing all the weight in your face, but it does eventually even out. I think that exercise, especially weights, is a very important life-long habit to cultivate.

I am starting my new job on 28 April and it will be so weird that none of these people will have known me fat.

Wow Mistysj :-) 6 whole dress sizes in less than year! Congratulations.

Thanks for the heads up about the different stages if how you look and that it all evens out - I hadn't read about that anywhere else but it makes sense. I've a lot to lose and my pre-op I've lost about 14kg and YES all in my face lol ;-)

Nice to know someone else who has gone through the Wesley - I'll be in the table birthing my new self at 2pm tomorrow - and ready as I'll ever be. My anaesthetist called me yesterday and it made me feel better about the surgery.

Ithanks and again CONGRATULATIONS!

Hey my Aussie sleevers!

I have a question that you guys might be able to help me out with; I'm 6th day post op now and whenever I drink liquids inc Water i get this feeling... Kinda like it getting stuck around my tummy region, and after a few seconds of discomfort my tummy groans and it passes.

Should I be worried?

Cheers,

Hey my Aussie sleevers! I have a question that you guys might be able to help me out with; I'm 6th day post op now and whenever I drink liquids inc Water i get this feeling... Kinda like it getting stuck around my tummy region, and after a few seconds of discomfort my tummy groans and it passes. Should I be worried? Cheers,

Hey Zappo,

I remember having that. I found I was taking too much Water in my sip lol. If ur really worried just ring ur surgeon

Cheers Bec

Hey my Aussie sleevers! I have a question that you guys might be able to help me out with; I'm 6th day post op now and whenever I drink liquids inc Water i get this feeling... Kinda like it getting stuck around my tummy region, and after a few seconds of discomfort my tummy groans and it passes. Should I be worried? Cheers,

Learn to hold the water in your mouth and just swallow a tiny bit at a time. This too shall pass.

Hey my Aussie sleevers!<br><br> I have a question that you guys might be able to help me out with; I'm 6th day post op now and whenever I drink liquids inc Water i get this feeling... Kinda like it getting stuck around my tummy region, and after a few seconds of discomfort my tummy groans and it passes.<br><br> Should I be worried?<br><br> Cheers,

Sounds totally normal to me. I too remember that feeling. I also got it when I started eating soft food and solid food - my surgeon explained that it takes a few minutes for your stomach to relax after you start to eat so the first few swallows will feel like it isn't going down . If you wait about 5-10 minutes you will find the next swallow easier - he told me that I was one of those people that could feel my stomach relax after a few minutes. It sounds like you might be the same but we are all different. You will find that the sensations will change every day as the swelling goes down in your stomach too. Any worries, contact your surgeon to make sure all is normal.

<p>Hello fellow Sleevers!</p> <p> </p> <p>Long time no see...or type :)</p> <p> </p> <p>I am sorry I have been so quiet but I have been keeping up with the posts via email (mostly at work lol) and it sounds like things are going well.</p> <p> </p> <p>Welcome to all of the new sleevers! and those about to hit the "losers bench". It's an amazing journey, difficult and challenging but absolutely worth it!</p> <p> </p> <p>A quick update - I started at 173kg, I now weigh 78kg I am 176cm tall. I was sleeved in September 2012 on the Gold Coast. I had a leak. I had many subsequent surgeries and a 10 week ICU/ Surgical Ward admission to Tweed Hospital and was discharged towards the end of November 2012. I hadn't lost much weight during this period as they had me fed via drip during this time at 1800 CAL per day.</p> <p> </p> <p>I am now about 18 months post surgery and had a meeting with my surgeon, the first one since my discharge from hospital in November 2012. It was hilarious :) She absolutely didn't recognise me. I wasn't aware but in the appointment, she was expecting me to have lost about 70% of the excess weight (which would have put me at about 100kg or so still), so to say she was surprised was an understatement :)</p> <p> </p> <p>It was nice to hear her tell me that I don't need (medically) to lose any more weight now. She knows I would like to lose another 10 kg (I always seem to have another 10 kg to lose lol - but this time I will stick with this goal!!). She is happy as long as my blood tests show I am healthy for me to lose the additional weight. She has even offered to do a "no gap" Tummy Tuck thingy for me in 12 months should I want it. Now given my leak, I am a bit reluctant to go under the knife unless I have to but I will see how I feel in 12 months.</p> <p> </p> <p>I am actually going to be in Sydney for a conference on 29th and 30th of April and was hoping that perhaps some of the Sydney sleevers might want to meet? The conference is in the CBD and it would be lovely to go out for dinner and meet up with you guys! I had the great pleasure of meeting Sue and Susan on my last trip and it would be so lovely to see you both again and anyone else who can make it!</p> <p> </p> <p>I hope you are all well and can't wait to talk with you (hopefully in person) soon!</p> <p> </p> <p>Cheers, Liss</p> <p> </p> <p>PS Here are my before and after shots :) That is me in the white dress...</p> <p> </p> <p></p> <p> </p> <p></p> <p> </p> <p> </p>

Great to hear from you Lissa - you are just looking fantastic! I would definitely love to catch up when you are in town!

Hello fellow Sleevers! Long time no see...or type :) I am sorry I have been so quiet but I have been keeping up with the posts via email (mostly at work lol) and it sounds like things are going well. Welcome to all of the new sleevers! and those about to hit the "losers bench". It's an amazing journey, difficult and challenging but absolutely worth it! A quick update - I started at 173kg, I now weigh 78kg I am 176cm tall. I was sleeved in September 2012 on the Gold Coast. I had a leak. I had many subsequent surgeries and a 10 week ICU/ Surgical Ward admission to Tweed Hospital and was discharged towards the end of November 2012. I hadn't lost much weight during this period as they had me fed via drip during this time at 1800 CAL per day. I am now about 18 months post surgery and had a meeting with my surgeon, the first one since my discharge from hospital in November 2012. It was hilarious :) She absolutely didn't recognise me. I wasn't aware but in the appointment, she was expecting me to have lost about 70% of the excess weight (which would have put me at about 100kg or so still), so to say she was surprised was an understatement :) It was nice to hear her tell me that I don't need (medically) to lose any more weight now. She knows I would like to lose another 10 kg (I always seem to have another 10 kg to lose lol - but this time I will stick with this goal!!). She is happy as long as my blood tests show I am healthy for me to lose the additional weight. She has even offered to do a "no gap" Tummy Tuck thingy for me in 12 months should I want it. Now given my leak, I am a bit reluctant to go under the knife unless I have to but I will see how I feel in 12 months. I am actually going to be in Sydney for a conference on 29th and 30th of April and was hoping that perhaps some of the Sydney sleevers might want to meet? The conference is in the CBD and it would be lovely to go out for dinner and meet up with you guys! I had the great pleasure of meeting Sue and Susan on my last trip and it would be so lovely to see you both again and anyone else who can make it! I hope you are all well and can't wait to talk with you (hopefully in person) soon! Cheers, Liss PS Here are my before and after shots :) That is me in the white dress...

Liss you look amazing !

Hi all, so as of today I have lost 20 kilos!! So happy.. Was my 1st goal. Have 40 more to go!!!!

Well done!! That is awesome!!!

Hi everyone. I hope u all had a great Easter. I went camping and had the best time. I had energy to go for walks with my hubby and our dogs and even went swimming in the creek which was freezing!!!!

Well as of Tuesday I have finally gotten past my stall that I've had for a month. I've now lost 51.4kgs!!! I'm so over the moon with cracking 50kgs! I'm now weighting in at 91.1kgs the lightest I've been since I was in grade 10!

On the 3rd of May will be 11 months since my op. I'm very happy with how I have gone and am not worried if I don't get to my goal of 70kgs as I know I will get there.

I hope everyone is keeping up the great work and getting their lives back and living it to it's fullest!

Have a great weekend (I'm going camping again lol)

Cheers Bec

Hi all, so as of today I have lost 20 kilos!! So happy.. Was my 1st goal. Have 40 more to go!!!!

Well done! It's amazing isn't it?

Hi everyone. I hope u all had a great Easter. I went camping and had the best time. I had energy to go for walks with my hubby and our dogs and even went swimming in the creek which was freezing!!!! Well as of Tuesday I have finally gotten past my stall that I've had for a month. I've now lost 51.4kgs!!! I'm so over the moon with cracking 50kgs! I'm now weighting in at 91.1kgs the lightest I've been since I was in grade 10! On the 3rd of May will be 11 months since my op. I'm very happy with how I have gone and am not worried if I don't get to my goal of 70kgs as I know I will get there. I hope everyone is keeping up the great work and getting their lives back and living it to it's fullest! Have a great weekend (I'm going camping again lol) Cheers Bec

Nice you are doing so well! I remember cheering you on before and during your surgery because you were the next one after me. I just celebrated 11 months last week! This has been an amazing journey. I actually saw 59.9 on the scale last week but it was after a 7km run so it was false. Still, a year ago I never would have imagined. I think you have lost way more than me and I am so pleased for you!

My life has been so crazy. I'm in Melbourne this week for a short holiday with my husband and I return to Brisbane Saturday afternoon, then fly to San Francisco for two weeks to start my new job! I will be working remotely from my home but will be traveling to hang out with the rest of the team several times a year.

I don't think I would have had the confidence to go for this job or to be so assertive, before the surgery. I keep thinking how people at the new job won't know I was ever obese unless I tell them or they see old photos. I think I will be open about it though. I don't want to have a deep dark secret, you know? But I feel so normal now. For instance my new boss organized a group activity of sailing in the San Francisco Bay. I would have probably not said no before but I would have been so nervous about keeping up and so self conscious about what to wear and how I would look and what people would think of me. I don't have any of those feelings now. I, looking forward to learning about sailing and getting to know my coworkers!

I want to tell some of you newbies about eating at basically a year out. I can eat anything. I eat Pasta, bread, cake, salads, all kinds of meat, fried food, candy, Soup, sushi, Chinese food, Indian food, Greek food, street food, pizza (thin crust), whatever. I drink wine and cocktails. I don't worry too much about the WHAT anymore. I pay attention to the HOW MUCH and I balance my week so that indulgent meals are a "sometimes" occurrence. Very little upsets my stomach. Raw vegetables and fizzy drinks are the main things I avoid. I still have great restriction and the way to ensure I don't overeat is Protein first. I can eat as much at a sitting as any other woman close to my size who is a "small eater". There are things I don't eat because I wouldn't be able to eat much of them at all, like sandwiches.

So if you are still struggling through mushy foods or you are frustrated because steak still bothers you, take heart. Your life will get so normal. You will get variety back in your diet. You will be able to eat at a restaurant or a dinner party without being the odd one out. You will be able to go on holiday and try new foods or eat at fancy places. You will just be healthier while doing it!

Hi everyone. I hope u all had a great Easter. I went camping and had the best time. I had energy to go for walks with my hubby and our dogs and even went swimming in the creek which was freezing!!!! Well as of Tuesday I have finally gotten past my stall that I've had for a month. I've now lost 51.4kgs!!! I'm so over the moon with cracking 50kgs! I'm now weighting in at 91.1kgs the lightest I've been since I was in grade 10! On the 3rd of May will be 11 months since my op. I'm very happy with how I have gone and am not worried if I don't get to my goal of 70kgs as I know I will get there. I hope everyone is keeping up the great work and getting their lives back and living it to it's fullest! Have a great weekend (I'm going camping again lol) Cheers Bec

That is amazing!!! Congrats on losing over 50 kilos!!!