Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Attention ! Australian Sleevers

Hi everyone, I've been a bit quiet lately, however, I have been watching everyone's great progress.

Welcome back Sarah jp....I'm not sure if you have caught up with the fact that we now have the same Surgeon and I know he is not good with empathy, although I find him much more relaxed than he used to be. :) I'm also losing slowly and I don't think he's going to be happy when I see him in 3 weeks. Would you like to meet and have a coffee, it might help to have a chat? I don't work, so my time is fairly flexible, once we get past the School holidays. I know a few people who have the same Surgeon, maybe we could start a 'mini' Support group here in Melbourne??????

Have a great day.

Michele

Hi Michele

A get together for people Melbourne (Australia) would be a great idea. It would have to be more central to everyone then Mornington. But I'm sure once we work out who's interested we could find a place to suit everyone. Or we could just catch up for coffee as you said. I have to work around uni, but catching up would be a good idea maybe swop some self help ideas and how to get on stephens good side....

I couldn't believe he wasn't happy with 5kgs since my last appointment. I had worked my but off over the last 3 months attending the gym some time up to 5 days a week I have a personal trainer as well. Something I Cant really afford but I'm doing it to help my motivation. Was a bit of a downer when he went on about changing my diet habit's and the weight would come off quicker. I'm scared my skin will end up sagging around me if I lose it any quicker. I was watching a show about ugly health conditions and this girl had a lapband lost her weight and she was on the show showing how ugly her body got after losing the weight. She had to have 2 full body lifts to have all the access skin from around her abdomen.

But he has shocked me as well. A few months back he gave me a hug before I left his room saying that his hoping that some time soon he will be able to put both his hand together around me. I seriously was like in my head.... OMG Stephen you have a kind side.

Anyway Its great to hear people are doing so well..

Sarah

Hi all! Just checking in from Singapore airport where I am having a (fraction of a) lovely bowl of noodles. I have quite some time until I board for Delhi. My flights gate is not even assigned yet. I will tell you it's hard to log meals across time zones!

Hi guys. I started opti today and have a question already!!! Both the shakes and the bars are making me dry reach uncontrollably. I held my nose and skulled down the shake only to dry heave for about 1/2 hour afterwards. Let me just say sitting at my desk dry reaching is NOT a great look. Any tips.......?

I must say I know what you mean! The chicken Soup gave me the same reaction, in fact I couldn't stand the smell let only swallow it. I have preserved with the chocolate shake made on super cold Water - after a few days I got use to it. You could look at opti slim products instead or perhaps the low carb celebrity slim, check with the dietician :-). Good luck I have 3 days left thank god lol

Hi guys. I started opti today and have a question already!!! Both the shakes and the bars are making me dry reach uncontrollably. I held my nose and skulled down the shake only to dry heave for about 1/2 hour afterwards. Let me just say sitting at my desk dry reaching is NOT a great look. Any tips.......?

Yep.That happened to me.Plus I had a rash and diarrhea afterwards.Spoke to my dietician who thinks I am allergic to the soy but that may not be your issue.The stuff is not the nicest is it? In the end I found I could usually handle 2 Optifast or optislim meals plus one very low calorie meal (limited dairy and carbs) but was still a bit nauseous occasionally.You can have three tiny meals per day under some programs but it is hard to keep the portions right when you are in the hungry phase.

I had to stay under 800 cals per day preferably averaging 750 cals per day and myfitnesspal was great with tracking that. So keep trying a small amount of different samples - I threw away so much expensive product until I found a few I could stomach - and talk to your dietician about the alternatives. I lost 10 kg from when I saw Dr Mosse to the day of surgery last week.It can be done! Good luck :)

Drinking really cold and blending with ice or berries or a shot of espresso coffee makes them more palatable. Hope this helps.

Optifast may not taste great, but it is the one all of the docs and dieticians recommend for pre surgery as it's the most balanced nutritionally. Good luck, it will get easier.

It sounds like you might have an intolerance to one of the ingredients (it's very common) and I would suggest that you contact your Surgeon or Dietitian and tell them what is happening. There are alternatives to the Optifast such as a high Protein/Low Carb diet.

Good Luck with your pre op preparation.

Michele

Sarah jp and K8ee,

Why don't we choose a date and place and get together for a coffee? Maybe we could plan a bigger 'get together' a few weeks down the track.

K8ee, who was your Surgeon and have you had your surgery yet? K8ee, what's your availability for meeting for coffee?

Sarah which Uni are you at, so that we can choose a place to meet?

I had my sleeve done 10 weeks ago at Cabrini.

I look forward to meeting both of you.

Michele

Thanks everyone for ur words of support.

Dicoyte - 3 days! I'm super jealous.

Lessismore - I have dietician issues. I didn't really get anything out of my dietician appointment at all. I did speak to my surgeon about it and his response was "you don't have to go back to her" so now I am on the hunt for a new one. If it doesn't settle down though I think I will ring the surgeon

Kelliv and mybigescape - I am definitely going to try this. Thankyou

One_elle - so above re dietician.

Thankyou to everyone for ur suggestions. I know I can do this and I will survive and it is so good to know I have heaps of experience and support to rely on. ????

I am sorry your dietician was a dud.Mine has been my supportive 'go to guy' all the way and is terrific.I can't help you with anyone down your way, I am sorry to say, as I am in Canberra.Let me know how you get on.

Sarah jp and K8ee' date='

Why don't we choose a date and place and get together for a coffee? Maybe we could plan a bigger 'get together' a few weeks down the track.

K8ee, who was your Surgeon and have you had your surgery yet? K8ee, what's your availability for meeting for coffee?

Sarah which Uni are you at, so that we can choose a place to meet?

I had my sleeve done 10 weeks ago at Cabrini.

I look forward to meeting both of you.

Michele[/quote']

My surgeon was Ray McHenry from lap surgery Australia. I had my surgery May 7th.

I can only meet on a weekend. Saturday or Sunday. I work full time in the city.

Look forward to meeting you!

Thanks everyone for ur words of support.

Dicoyte - 3 days! I'm super jealous.

Lessismore - I have dietician issues. I didn't really get anything out of my dietician appointment at all. I did speak to my surgeon about it and his response was "you don't have to go back to her" so now I am on the hunt for a new one. If it doesn't settle down though I think I will ring the surgeon

Kelliv and mybigescape - I am definitely going to try this. Thankyou

One_elle - so above re dietician.

Thankyou to everyone for ur suggestions. I know I can do this and I will survive and it is so good to know I have heaps of experience and support to rely on. dde03

I was on a brand called kickstart - but from what I have heard most of these Meal Replacement shakes are just horrible - I never liked milkshakes so even though I wasn't

vomiting there were times I was just about holding my nose to get them down. I found very cold Water and lots of ice made it not quite as bad too. I only tried the Soups once and that was enough - the chocolate Optifast bars were about the only thing I got used to. I could probably eat one of those now but I wouldn't touch a shake for the rest of my life! However, I did get through it and lost 9kg pre op and did the pre-op for 1 day short of 4 weeks - just shows what you can do when you are working towards the prize!

I hope you get it sorted. Maybe talk to Aussiegirl as I know she did the pre-op without doing any shakes.< /p>

HelmC2, I don't see a Dietitian but I do know of a Bariatric Dietitian who does phone consultations, she is located in Qld, on the Gold Coast Ithink???? Some of the girls here already consult with her so they may be able to give you her contact details. Her name is Fiona Brown and she does seem to be 'on the ball'.

If you choose to go to Fiona, feel free to tell her I gave you her name.

Anyway, good luck with your pre op phase and finding a new Dietitian.

May I ask who your Surgeon is, seems like his support is minimal which makes it difficult for you.

We are all here to support you through this journey.

Best Wishes

Michele