Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Straw Drinking?

OMG!! I bought my first outside drink and forgot about the straw drinking. I have the worst gas pain. I did some walking and still feel it.

Will this harm my sleeve? It has only been 10 days post op.

did you drink something carbonated?

I am sure you did not harm your sleeve. At the most, you probably swallowed some air. Have you tried gas X?

My doctor told me NO STRAWS! Possibility of too much air getting sucked in & the ability to not gauge how much you are drinking.

I do some straws these days, but I waited until about six months before using one. There's a great bbq place here that gives you a bucket of tea. Using a lid and straw is the only way to keep it cold and fresh tasting until I'm actually ready to drink after a meal.

I'm thinking you have not done any irrepairable damage. I'm 5 almost 6 weeks post surgery and one time, absentmindedly, started drinking out of a straw. The pain caused by extra air did go away before too long.

I have always used a straw. My doc says they just say no straws to try to keep you comfortable (some people gulp too hard and it make them hurt), it is not going to hurt your sleeve. I have never one time had "gas" pain from drinking from a straw. My NUT was ecstatic when I told her that I could drink twice as much in a day if I used a cup with a straw. She said buy a whole box! Everyone is different. You will get to know your sleeve. It is going to be a trial and error thing. Don't stress yourself out. You didn't swallow a bomb..lol.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thank you everyone!

I took gas-x and by this morning the gas pain went away. I haven't felt pain like that since I was in the hospital, so I got a little scared

did you drink something carbonated?

It was just iced tea, thank goodness

My surgeon doesn't have restrictions on straws. He states the straw thing is a myth, lol

I had 2 bad days. I thought I was getting the flu; I felt horrible. Went to my family doctor, laid on the exam table, tried to sit up, nearly fainted. I'm dehydrated & not eating enough. My surgeon wanted to put me in the hospital for IV fluids, but I promised to drink & eat more yesterday & today. He said if I'm not greatly improved my today, I'm in. Last night I ate & drank until I couldn't physically consume anything else. I'm better today. I can't go in the hospital, I have plans for this weekend!

Take care of yourself, Reet! If you have outdoor plans, you're going to need to drink even more.

For what its worth.....

Ive been drinking with a straw since day 5 and it hasnt affected me, my sleeve or increased the gas pain (although to be fair... I never had any gas pain at all!). Now im 8 weeks out,

I do take care not to swallow gulps of air and make sure to only take sips that wont give me the gut rocks (Hard knot in gut from drinking so fast)!

I find that drinking through a straw supercharges my liquid intake- I have never failed to hit the 70oz of liquid benchmark yet!

Maybe a will try again in a few weeks. I wish I was so lucky, CaliKat. I had gas pain for 2 wks post op. It is not that bad anymore though.

I agree that it would make getting my liquid intake a lot easier. I am getting the bare minimum. I found a few cups I have that have helped, so I am getting closer to my goal.

I did drink more this weekend. I tried the straw a few times, but I really don't want any complications, so I'll drink from a glass without a straw for a little while longer. I NEED to go to my next nutrition class & support group. I want to hear what everyone else is eating!