Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Garcia, Alvarez, Aceves- So Confusing!

What does it boil down to? How in the world did you choose? I mean some are cheaper, but do I really want to go with cheap when it comes to surgery? I'd love any and all info you want to throw my way in regards to choosing a surgeon.

I did speak with what I thought was Dr. Kellys coordinator, Sandy and she says they let him go. her words- "we won't work with a Dr. we wouldn't go to ourselves." OK??? O.o I guess I won't go to him. :/ So now there is Dr. Garcia.

Dr. Alvarez is closest to home... not close, but closest- being right outside of tx and I'm in MO.

Amy, Have you looked at the surgeon's reviews on here? There are tons of threads from various patients of several mexico doctors with their experiences listed. Read through those threads...there's a search box at the upper right part of the page. Maybe reading what others have said will help to clarify your thought process. Good luck!

The downfall to Medical Tourism are these pesky coordinators. They lie. I was lied to and the ol' bait and switch was tried on me - twice!. It's stupid, but it's how they do business.

Look up the reviews, ask previous patients, and decide then. Don't listen to these coordinators. They get paid by booking you with their doctors.

Most of these docs are very good. I decided on Dr Kelly for many reasons but my #1 reason was previous patient communications. Following that was location, what hospital, etc. Dr K fit for me. He doesn't use a coordinator, but he does have a facilitator named Omar. Call and speak with Dr Kelly.

And call and speak to the other doctors. I spoke with Dr Alvarez too and loved him. His book is also amazing.

Find what makes you feel comfortable. For me, the bait and switch high pressure sales tactic of these coordinators did nothing but totally turn me off.

I meant to say... Coordinators aside... Garcia, Ortiz, Aceves, Kelly, Alvarez... All good doctors. Find one that fits for you!

Good luck!!

ohhh okay. I'm just a big gal in a small town, never been out of my time zone, lol. never been on a plane.. Just married my highschool sweetheart and had 6 babies and i'm a somewhat sheltered sahm. I don't even fully know what a coordinator is, but THANK YOU for that! I really had my mind set on Dr. Kelly. OK now how do I find him? lol what facility is he at now?

Amy I am so sorry if I sounded harsh. To me this kind of stuff only adds to patient worry. I'd have no problem if these coordinators directed you to their doctors and left it at that, but no, they have to badmouth a doctor in order to change your mind. As a doctor myself I am very sensitive about that childishness.

I also forgot to mention Dr Ponce de leon who also has a very good reputation.

I have not been sleeved yet but I talk daily or weekly with Dr K patients and others. I like to be very informed. :)

If you go to the surgeons tab on this website you can pull up Dr K's info and reviews, as well as info on other drs.

It's a huge decision!!!! You will make the one that is right for you. :)

If you go to the pre-op forum, there is a thread called Mexico Sleevers and there is info there on how to reach Dr K (I am on my phone or I would post it!) as well as reviews on other good doctors.

Good luck!!!

I chose Dr Alvarez and here's why! First and foremost he has dedicated his life to this proceedure by performing over 2800 VGS's. I also found every single one of his YouTube videos to be extremly informative. It showed me; at least that he was dedicated and comiited to keeping his patients informed. Also he ONLY does three proceedures a day unlike others where I've heard they are running people in and out like cattle. One guy posted he was number 10 on the day. You also recover in an actual hosptial, not a hotel or guest house or whatever else is going on out there. This was EXTREMLY important to me. If there was anything that happened I wanted a piece of mind in knowing I was somewhere there was someone who could tend to me. His cost are $8700 but in my opinion it was worth every penny. His assistant Jessica was a heaven sent for my wife. She would take her lunch, dinner and check in on us ALL the time. I was impressed beyond belief with he and his staff and will forever be a champion for this man. Very few people effect me in the way this person has and I will forever be grateful to him. If you have any questions, concerns or need anything please feel free to let me know and I'll be more than happy to help you out.

Dr Alvarez was my second choice, because I wanted to have direct access to my surgeon post op. (I live in So CA) I would have to fly to see Dr A and I didn't want to do that. dr A is awesome! I face timed with him and he wasn't even my doctor. He really does believe in this procedure!

wow, that is awesome! I am actually leaning toward Alvarez. I didn't like the video I saw of dr kelly on youtube. I know that sounds silly, but I totally want someone I feel I could feel totally at ease around, and he seems kinda... well not approachable? dr alvarez, in one of the videos, put his hand on the patient and seems so kind and like a friend. I really want that kind of experience. He just seems super friendly.

Aceves being my second choice, but I haven't done a lot of research on him yet. I like his face.. LOL he looks super friendly as well. I like a really sweet dr.

That is funny, I felt the same way about Dr K's video! But then I have spoken with him and he is very sweet. That said, I don't think you can go wrong with Alvarez or Aceves either!!!! All great!

The point is all the doctors you listed are very good. You will get excellent care from all of them. I personally chose Dr. Garcia and my surgery is scheduled on Monday. I am so excited. You have to choose a doctor that makes you ready to have surgery. All of them are excellent and have great reviews, you cannot go wrong no matter who you choose. With that said it has to be your decision and no one elses do not let anyone sway you. Just look at the facts about each one and go with who your heart and gut tells you too and you will not go wrong. Good luck I am sure you will make a great decision.

I chose Dr Aceves because of his low complication rate and plus he has a nice hospital and he keeps you in the hospital for 3 days plus his pre-op diet isnt a liquid diet its a low carb high Protein diet also I love his cordinator she is the best and is very patient and helpful he also has a yahoo support group . I was going with Alvarez and had scheduled a date and everything and then I came across Dr Aceves and he has far better reviews then Alvarez I do believe Dr Alvarez is a great surgeon but not for me I basicly chose Dr Aceves because he uses a drain and Dr Alvarez doesnt and im way more comfortable with having a drain as far as a leak goes and overall my first impression of him and his staff and I am someone who gets on these boards every day and does tons of research so I have learned alot.

Another thing about Dr Aceves is that he is F.A.C.S accredited and that is pretty awesome plus his hospital is working on JCI accreditation which is who accredits our hospitals over in the US but its your decision just do your research and make sure you are comfortable with your decision and dont price shop because your life is important and only you will know what you want to experience , Goodluck :)

Ps:I havent had my surgery yet im scheduled for June 2nd ..Cant Wait !!!!!!

I chose Dr Kelly, mainly based on patient recommendations. Then also the location of the hospital, the fact it was a hospital & not a clinic.

His scheduler Omar has been wonderful at answering all my questions, and I have had many! The e-mail to contact them is wls-clinic@hotmail.com & they are fast at getting back to you.

My cost is $5500 & that includes all the surgeons fees, anaesthesia fees, hospital fees, 2 nights stay in the hospital, then 2 nights stay in the hotel (right next to the hospital). Just had to pay for airfare.

But yes, I could sing Dr Kelly's praises all I want, but if you don't feel comfortable with him, you should go with your gut & go with who you trust!

They are all great surgeons & you will be in safe hands no matter who you choose.