Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ok so maybe this sounds dumb

but im confused on what my real weight is.

i woke up yesterday morning and weighed myself around 8am weighed in 297

then when i got home from work around 5pm weinghed in at 302

then before i went to bed weighed myself around 10pm weighed in 299

woke up this morning 8am weighed in 299.

so whats my real weight?

i know im probably gonna be told im weighin myself too much and maybe i am but i have surgery nxt thursday and my pre op with the surgeon on monday. and i was 293 in january when i met with him the first time and i gained weight since then..16lbs to b exact. if 297 is my real weight then ive lost 12. and have 4 lbs to go until my previous weight. this is why im constantly checking and hoping it goes down faster b/c i have 5 days until i meet with him again.

and when he questions me why i gained weight...im embarrassed to say bc i wanted to enjoy food while i could? thats a pathetic reason and i feel horrible for having done that.

ma question is whats probably my real weight? anyone had this issue when the scale tells you youve gained like 5 lbs in a day?

You fluctuate about 5lbs throughout the day so i would only weigh yourself in the morning after you've gone potty. Remember clothes weigh 1 to 2 lbs too depending upon what you're wearing etc..so weighing yourself naked helps. Good luck!

Just as readyforachange says, I weight myself in the morning right after peeing. I am naked except for my underwear, and in our house, we use the Wii Fit rather than a scale. It keeps a full history of weights and BMI's over time. Sometimes it's nice to see where you were a month, or a year ago.

I'm having my sleeve surgery in 12 days (yeah!) and am currently on Day 4 of the 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I'm tempted to weigh myself in the evening too (especially since I've been really hungry!), but I'm rejecting that that thought. It's only going to mess with my head. Our weight can fluctuate wildly during the day for a number of reasons (fluid balances, sodium intake, etc.).

Keep your time of day consistent, and try to keep all other variables as consistent as possible too (approach it like a science experiment!). First thing in the morning after peeing means there's been no food or fluids for 8+ hours, so very little to cause dramatic day-to-day changes (other than your REAL weight changes!).

Also keep in mind that home scales are not precision instruments. Especially if they're on flooring with any give (carpet, vinyl, softer woods, anything with an uneven texture, etc.) And most home scales are never calibrated. When I owned a scale (got rid of mine) I could weigh 5 times in a row and get five different numbers.

I would suggest am, naked, after going to the bathroom but before doing anything else. I would also recommend weighing yourself three times and taking either the highest or lowest number of the three. It doesn't really matter which, but choose the same each time you subsequently weigh.

In your case, at the same time of day you weighed 297 and 299. Pick one and go with it. But if you pick the lower, always pick the lower, and vice versa.

Keep in mind the body can easily fluctuate 10 - 15 pounds, just based on what's going on. I gain 11 - 13 lbs during PMS. I haven't pooped in over 2 weeks, and I don't even want to think about what that's doing!

I would suggest if your weight varies that much then weight the SAME TIME every day for a week and average it. I know when I use to work out at Curves they would only weight us in at the same time every month. You had to weight in monthly but you had to do it at the same time of day. The scale you have it battery operated might also need new batteries.

I was totally doing awesome and then I moved my scale. Maybe 5 inches. Gained 3 pounds. Unreal. I can't wait to get down to 320 and start weighing on the wii fit again. Too fat for it right now. :wacko: