Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Got My First Fill Yesterday

:clap2: I haven't had much restriction for a few weeks so I'm very happy to have had this done finally!! :P

Oh my gosh, I was soooooo nervous. I laid up on the table with a towel under the middle of my back to lift my belly. He pressed around and pressed around looking for my port. Once he found it he cleaned the area and administred a local anthestic. He told me to prepare for a pinch and some burning. I felt a small pinch but not much else. He said that my port is right by my main incision so the nerve ending are still regenerating. No feeling there yet. Double-whoo-hoo! Then he had a hard time finding the entry to the port. Took a few minutes but no worries, I couldn't feel anything but pressure. So finally he gets it in there and they lift up the table so I am standing upright. I look down and there is this syringe sticking out of my abdomen. LOL! It was weird because I really didn't care, I was happy to see it and not feel it. :biggrin1: Now comes the worst part of the whole experience. The barium swallow. GAG! :sick When I had my pre-op testing done, the barium was strawberry flavored and cold. This stuff was neither. It was blah and warm, which made it extra blah. But it was cool because as I took a swallow, I looked on the screen next to me and could see my stomach, the band, the pouch and the barium heading on down. He added and removed as he saw the barium flowing through the band. I had to take a total of 3 really big gulps, but it was worth it.

After it was all over he came up to me and said he could tell that when I first got there I was very nervous, which I was, but I had tried to fake it and be brave. But he said I did very well and that the band and my pouch look great. He said the images could be used in a training class it looked so good, which totally made my day!! B)

So last night it was a little tight. I had a Slim Fast shake this morning and so far so good. No issues with liquids. I'm on liquid for the rest of today, then two days of mushies and back to regular food on Saturday.

I'm on my way and I'm pickled tink to finally have my fill! He wants me to go back in a month for a check up. :biggrin1:

I don't know how many CC's I got because we talked about it and he said that 4 cc's for one person may give them perfect restriction but 4 cc's for someone else might not be enough. It depends on the location of the band and such, so I chose to not know. :)

I am totally happy for you about your first fill...I was right where you are a couple weeks ago on the 4th was my first...Same as you, I was totally nervous but it ended up being easier than going to the dentist...lol...I think that they should have given me a little bit more on my first fill (1.75) cuz its still coming off really really slow, but atleast its coming off...They told me to come back once my weight loss fell under 4-6 lbs in a month for another fill...He also told me that most people do have to come in for a second one due to the stomache loses some fatty tissue around it and makes the band a little looser...I think I am already ready for my second but I will wait for another month or so to make sure that i am doing the right thing at the right time!!

I am totally happy for you about your first fill...I was right where you are a couple weeks ago on the 4th was my first...Same as you, I was totally nervous but it ended up being easier than going to the dentist...lol...I think that they should have given me a little bit more on my first fill (1.75) cuz its still coming off really really slow, but atleast its coming off...They told me to come back once my weight loss fell under 4-6 lbs in a month for another fill...He also told me that most people do have to come in for a second one due to the stomache loses some fatty tissue around it and makes the band a little looser...I think I am already ready for my second but I will wait for another month or so to make sure that i am doing the right thing at the right time!!

He told me he thought I would need another in 6 to 8 months, but if I get to where I don't have enough restriction to not wait. To call him right away and he'll get me in for an adjustment. Same if I'm not able to swallow anything, especially liquids.

I hope my stomach loses some fatty tissue. I have a picture of my stomach from the day they put the band on and it's pretty gross. Some pink but a lot of fat. :rolleyes::D

I was to nervous about what all was going on around me to notice the screen showing all of my inards and they didnt bother to bring it to my attention but i sure with they would have...The only differences that I can really notice now is that I get full a little quicker and my body acts like I am totally allergic to any type of bready substance...I tried a pinch of garlic bread, got sick, tried 1 bite of Pizza Crust, got sick, tried a bite of a flower tortilla, got sick...then accidentally ate too fast at lunch the other day with an omlette that I had brought, and got sick...All of this has happened within the last week or week and a half, but its all a learning experience and I need to learn to stay away from the bread and chew alot better

I was to nervous about what all was going on around me to notice the screen showing all of my inards and they didnt bother to bring it to my attention but i sure with they would have...

Oh no, I didn't see it the day of the banding. After my first post-op visit my surgeon gave me an actual photograph. I have it at home. During the first few weeks I looked at it a lot. Sick, huh? :heh: It's kind of cool in a Learning Channel kind of way. Heh-heh! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice about the bread. I've been careful the past few weeks but I have had a bit here and there. The main advice they gave me yesterday for when I get back on regular food was to just take it slow. Chew, chew, chew and slow, slow, slow. :hungry: :biggrin1:

the post-op is the visit that i am talking about too...i was nervous about the fill so i didnt notice the monitor...i wish they would have given me a picture of mine for me to refer back to later on...my dr says that everyone is different and everyone can handle different things...i know that i am totally terrified of bread now

:wow2: HOLY CANOLIE!! I have had some of the biggest burps of my LIFE today! LOL! :rolleyes: Sorry if that's TMI but they are amazing. Snort!! :hurt

Hey guys -I was wondering (oh no a dreaded newbie question) I was banded 3 wks ago and I have a little restriction -he said first fills usually after 6 wks but I wanted to know if you can tell a real difference now after your first fill? I am still battling head vs real hunger- My brain and my stomach are not communicating and I feel like a total failure because I still want to eat. I've had no pb's or vomiting. A few episodes of "golf ball" but otherwise okay. I know the pouch is a tool but I would like my tool to be working well to help me. (Patience is not one of my greatest virtues) I thought that I wouldn't feel as hungry but I'm not really there yet. Am I expecting too much too soon? I would love any input and/or chastising :)

Hi guys... I'm glad you survived your first fills!! Everyone's usually a bit anxious, it's the "unknown" we tend to fear the most.

I was banded 10 months ago, and today went in for my 5th fill. So many factors will depend on how many fills it takes for YOU to reach optimum restriction, and every single person is different. I'm here to tell you, if I had to do it all over again, I would go back every 2 months for a tiny adjustment. I think the more you have constant restriction, the better you progress.

HI MICHELLE!! and welcome in :) I have a 10 cm band and had my 1st fill of 1.5 at 6 weeks post op.... I've always been able to feel restriction after each one. You need another 3 weeks to heal properly, for the swelling to completely go away. Don't beat yourself up, I actually ate a 6 in Subway sandwich (with no problem) the week before my 1st fill. I've not done it since.. I'm not willing to test the effects. Suprisingly, bread has been the single easiset thing for me to give up. From time to time I will toast a piece of bread, spread a small bit of cream cheese and take my time between bites.

Are you on mushies, or solid food? Get out all of the info you're doc gave about the post surgery diet.. make sure you're getting in enough Protein and plenty of liquids everyday. Sounds like you're progressing on track, I remember getting my appetite back... I just constantly referred to the list of post op diet foods my doc provided. I stayed out of the refrig/kitchen by coming to LBT and connecting with people. And even now, when I get the urge for a snack, I grab a popsicle and come right back. I'm sure that's hard to do with 4 kiddos at home, but try to find a way to keep yourself occupied.

All the best,

Karla

Hi Michelle, don't beat yourself up. Your pouch is not really "enabled" until your first fill, so the tool isn't really doing it's thing yet. Any restriction you feel prior is due to swelling. I had to wait 6 weeks too for my fill.

The best way I can describe it, from what was described to me, is you go have your procedure where they install the band. Then the next 6 weeks is healing and allowing the band to develop scar tissue to secure it in place. Any weight you lose prior to getting your fill is a bonus. Once you get a fill, the band is now working.

Don't feel bad. I know in the two weeks prior to my fill I felt famished at times and felt a bit like a failure because I was so hungry. Then it was explained to me like I explained it to you and I felt much better. I had some donut holes on Saturday just a few days before my fill. Would I have some now, heck no. Will I probably want some later, heck yes. :hungry: But it will be a choice I make and I hope I do myself proud because I want this band to be successful and I want to wear shorts next summer!! :clap2:

Thanks for the support...I think I'm so afraid of this not working-like every other diet i've been on. I am hoping it will give me the little push I need. okay not really an push more like a kick with a steel toed boot (kicking and screaming) I am looking forward to changing my life. Baby steps I guess.

Hello there...fellow mother of many different ages. I too have an 18 y.o., 11 y.o., and 3 y.o. I received my band on 06-22-06 and just joined last week. Do you mind my asking what a "PB" is? And what do you mean by "golf ball"; I'm certain I've experienced it but would like a technical opinion. Look forward to hearing from you, Brenda

I am anxious to get my first fill done next week. At this point I am not having any trouble eating anything but meat. I am curious to see how that changes. I am waiting to lose more than a pound or two a week like my doctor stays. I better start walking and trying to get back to Yoga.

Marge.

i am waiting for my first fill which is going to be 8-21 just this last week i've been so hungry i try to make smart choices but stay so hungry my ? is after the fill i know i can't eat as much but does the hunger pains go away

i've only lost 15lbs total preop and post op so i;m discouraged!!!

i have dropped 2 pants sizes but my body shape isn't the same so I am still not fitting into some of my clothes I want to. It's seems to be a lot around the middle and surgery sites that are puffy.

marge.